Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #16
mistergee

easy $

when I was doing the Beyer #'s before they were in any PP offered
would confidently bang out the the high # selections and then just wait at the window. for example 2 standouts in a race and the exacta would pay 20 or $30 where now they pay maybe 6 or $8
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #17
mountainman

Back in 1990, or so, I BEGGED mnr management to begin flagging and notating in our program any change of trainers. I even presented them with documentation of numerous form reversals. But since it wasn't THEIR idea, it got nixed. The response was "nobody cares" about that stuff.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #18
acorn54

i've said this before. statistical tests for efficiency in the parimutuel markets dramatically show the potential for profits BEFORE rebates, diminishes. this time period, is what i would call the twilight years of horserace gambling.
you see today you don't have to have a positive roi BEFORE rebates, if you have a selection method that gets .90 roi BEFORE rebates, and you are a large bettor, getting a 12% rebate you can churn a very nice amount of money to get a very nice roi.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They were in BRIS when it was the old BBS site.
There was a Beyer Report - listed the last 10 Beyers for each horse - NOT PPs.

This was before Racing Times had them.
Maybe early - mid 80s?
I think I got them on my Tandy 80!
I know I printed them on an old dot matrix.
You learn something new every day.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Back in 1990, or so, I BEGGED mnr management to begin flagging and notating in our program any change of trainers. I even presented them with documentation of numerous form reversals. But since it wasn't THEIR idea, it got nixed. The response was "nobody cares" about that stuff.
Those WERE the good old days for trainer handicappers.

The claims were in the DRF eastern edition (not sure about the others), but the private purchases were not. So if a horse was switching to a "juice" guy he'd get bet like crazy off the claim but be much longer on the private purchases. But both would tend to move way up.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #21
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Back in the 70-80's when a new track would open, it would be easy pickings for a while until the new crowd figured out what was going on.

Lone star park was like that ...from its opening in 1997 until 2000 it was a cash cow. When 2001 ended it was a whole different scene for betting. Chalk city for many diff reasons.

I remember getting $20 to win on asmussen's Heritage of Gold. First time starter would go onto to win the Molly Pitcher & then some more. The exacta over a Kenny smith horse brought $152 iirc. Then Heritage of Gold ran a turf race as a 2TS. Won easy, pd $11.

When 2001 was halfway through the season you knew the golden days were gone.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 03-13-2019 at 11:54 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #22
Prairie Bettor

I literally had shoe boxes full of money in 2009/2010. Crazy easy money. It all came to an end years later, but I was ready to slow down anyways.

Good times!
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
metro

The DRF used to have a lot more info too, more than just the "guts" as my buddies and I called it. One thing they included back then were stake nominations for the different tracks, i know that you can often still find them on some of the websites of tracks today but many of them don't provide them or they put them out late rather than when the stake closes.

Hit an $8K pick 6 at Churchill one time thanks to including in the sequence a filly named Topsa that was first time turf but was nominated for a stake on the turf later in the meet. She "only" paid $18 dollars or so but it often only took one price horse on Churchill cards back then to take down a nice multi-wager bet. She was the one that day.

DRF included workouts back then too, often misspelled. It wasn't like betting, it was like going to an ATM! Clairewithaflare in the pps spelled Clarewithaflare in the works was my favorite. She paid more than $18.

Last edited by metro; 03-14-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: punctuation
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Those WERE the good old days for trainer handicappers.

The claims were in the DRF eastern edition (not sure about the others), but the private purchases were not. So if a horse was switching to a "juice" guy he'd get bet like crazy off the claim but be much longer on the private purchases. But both would tend to move way up.
Very true, and you're making me nostalgic.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #25
v j stauffer

I think Jonathan Kinchen was very much like Chris Moneymaker. Broke all the molds of the hardboot, cigar smoking guy cussing on the main line.

Good looking, young, family man.

Had to make many similar to him stand up and take notice.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #26
MadVindication

There’s no glory days for me to compare today’s races to. That’s my main betting angle.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
davew

If you had access to certain data or concepts before widely available, you could do well.

I am thinking Beyer's speed figures, Ragozin's sheets, trainer/jockey stats, ...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply