Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Valuist

Roenick

As arrogant as TO is, I would have to think Jeremy Roenick would probably be the most hated athlete in Philly now:

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/8601972

I don't think JR realizes that people don't care that the NHL didn't play this past season.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

He definitely went over the top. Jeff Mullins on skates . Definitely beyond "spoiled"
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Valuist

I think these comments are worse than Mullins. At least racing never went on strike. Pardon the pun, but hockey is on very thin ice. I bet the NHL brass is seething at Roenick. What a petulant spoiled brat.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Yea, you're probably right. Besides race fans are used to being held in disdain by the industry. I think he has taken one too many checks into the boards. I wonder if Mario had anything to say to him (he made the comments in Pittsburgh at Mario's charity function).

I hope the owners shaved enough off the CBA to cover what little they had left to lose in fans and commercial backing. It's a shame, a great sport, one where championships definitely can't be bought.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Wow, talk about proving the stereotype that all hockey players are idiots. Well, we now know without a doubt that at least one is.

I mean, seriously, I'm a guy that would watch fat guys body surf if they found a good way to keep score. I've watched snooker and darts and rugby on BBC for hours on end. I watch soccer. I have watched LAWN BOWLING! I went to a cricket match for heaven's sake! I can sit through a double header where the Orioles lose both ends 11-0 and still have a good time. I have also watched more than my fair share of hockey games. But guess what, I couldn't care less if there is ever another NHL game, I just don't miss it. A truly international league would be better anyway! No fighting, good skating, GOALS. Wake up Jeremy, noone cares.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Surprise, Roenick says what he said was taken out of context (with what was missing due to the bleeps, I guess that's possible ) He was heading in the right direction in the first part of his statement but he surely sabotaged any good will he had built up to that point. Hockey cannot afford to turn away anyone willing to go through the turnstile (can you say "nuns night out"). It's going to be a struggle and this certainly didn't help.