Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
“There was an egregious mistake and I just can't talk about it further,” Broberg told the Paulick Report on Sunday. “Obviously it is very embarrassing. I've already talked to the owners that were involved. My intentions are to make the purse right with them. We'll have to see how it plays out from there.”

what does broberg mean by this?
I assume he means he plans to pay the owners of both horses the winning purse amount.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Hambletonian

In Hong Kong they would probably ban everyone involved for life.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
chadk66

identifier also tattoo's the two year olds before they race for the first time. it's usually done at the track also.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
green80

The identifier has to match the letter and numbers under the horses lip to what is on their clipboard. A third grader could do if if he had somebody to lift the horses lip.

First the track vet checks the tattoo when he does the pre race vet check.

Second the identifier checks the tattoo in the paddock.

Third the Paddock judge checks the markings on the horse.

Did Broberg or an assistant saddle? They should know their own horses.

And they are telling us everybody failed these simple task.

And nobody at the track could tell a mare from a gelding?

This deal stinks and I think the public is being fed a line of BS.

Last edited by green80; 09-20-2017 at 07:29 PM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
highnote

I guess the old grey mare ain't what she used to be.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Anybody heard a follow up on this? I wonder if Equibase has corrected the charts? I definitely have to update some speed figures I would imagine.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Anybody heard a follow up on this? I wonder if Equibase has corrected the charts? I definitely have to update some speed figures I would imagine.
I checked, the charts are not updated to reflect which horses actually ran in the races.

For those keeping track, both are Remington.

9-4-2017, R8, Onemorefastdance probably didn't race, it waas most likely Collateral Kitten that finished fourth, though I haven't seen this confirmed.

9-16-2017, R5, Collateral Kitten didn't actually race and win, it was Onemorefastdance.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Broberg running horses (and winning) at Remington tonight. Sad that he can't be banned until this is sorted out.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

So how do they sequence the tatoos when they first place them on the horses...? How many letters and numbers are in the tatoo...do they go by year and foal number like, 2015-1586...?

Or maybe a letter to designate gender M-F, then year of birth, then foal number...

I do not see why I cannot ask this question...without it being deleted, it is not off the topic...maybe someone here knows the answer to a simple question...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #25
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Broberg running horses (and winning) at Remington tonight. Sad that he can't be banned until this is sorted out.
To be honest I feel like this situation is way worse than what Jorge Navarro did in the video that everyone is so up in arms about.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #26
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
So how do they sequence the tatoos when they first place them on the horses...? How many letters and numbers are in the tatoo...do they go by year and foal number like, 2015-1586...?

Or maybe a letter to designate gender M-F, then year of birth, then foal number...

I do not see why I cannot ask this question...without it being deleted, it is not off the topic...maybe someone here knows the answer to a simple question...
For example. Horse i.d will come and tattoo your 2yo before he is eligible to run. You give the them the foal papers and they check all the markings, and make sure they match. After they approve the markings, they tattoo the horse with the registration number that goes along with the papers. D'wildamber is a 2015 foal that i tattooed earlier this month. So her number on her papers start with 1516572. Now the tattoo man replaces the 15 with a letter, which just happens to be an S this year. So the tattoo will read as S16572. All papers are put into the racing office at the start of the meet. When a horse is in that day, it is checked for pre race exam by state vet who has copy of tattoo number. The horse id person with have the foal papers in the paddock and check tattoo and markings of the horse.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #27
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
For example. Horse i.d will come and tattoo your 2yo before he is eligible to run. You give the them the foal papers and they check all the markings, and make sure they match. After they approve the markings, they tattoo the horse with the registration number that goes along with the papers. D'wildamber is a 2015 foal that i tattooed earlier this month. So her number on her papers start with 1516572. Now the tattoo man replaces the 15 with a letter, which just happens to be an S this year. So the tattoo will read as S16572. All papers are put into the racing office at the start of the meet. When a horse is in that day, it is checked for pre race exam by state vet who has copy of tattoo number. The horse id person with have the foal papers in the paddock and check tattoo and markings of the horse.
Saw the video: http://www.thehorse.com/videos/30371...ses-lip-tattoo

The example horse had a "K" first letter...so I guess that was quite awhile ago since we are around "S" now, I guess...there is probably some master cross reference letter w/ year foaled....Interesting that different breeds have different tattoos but I guess most cross refer to registration number...https://www.thoughtco.com/horse-iden...attoos-1881670
http://www.trpb.com/tattoo.html
http://www.horsedocblog.com/blog/

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-20-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #28
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Found this on the web...

"They use a special twitch that holds the entire lip inside out (or turned up)...

One letter or number is dipped in ink, and pushed in...repeat in a line untill all are finished. The letters or numbers are made up of tiny prongs.

The horses are not sedated, and it really doesnt look like it bothers them much...I did have one filly lay down when the first one was pushed in...and I did feel bad for her!"
http://myhorseforum.com/threads/how-...-horse.193956/

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 09-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
To be honest I feel like this situation is way worse than what Jorge Navarro did in the video that everyone is so up in arms about.
Totally agree.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #30
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

When and where is the Vet check performed...? Seems like it would be an onerous task to check thoroughly up to 14 horses in a very short time just before they leave to go to the paddock to be saddled...and then follow them out on the track, watching all of them warm up, and scratching some if need be..

Racehorses are naturally skittish animals and do not like anyone messing with them...I can see how turning the lip on 12 animals could take awhile....it would make sense if the Horse IDer had turned back the lip prior to the vet doing the Vet check...I never have seen any lip checking done in the paddock while saddling...I can see how a person who is not "the regular IDer" might not be able to check all the horses...