Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #46
delayjf

The passenger had a right to be upset, but once he was asked by the police to leave the plane, he should have left. Watching the video, I thought it was a bit mellow dramatic. At one point he was begging the police to "kill me now" - give me a break. If he refused to leave, at that point, they should have let him stay, select another individual to depart - and arrest the Dr. as he got off the plane in Louisville.

The big mistake was to board the plane, then demand passengers give up their seat.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #47
delayjf

Latest is that he was on his phone to his lawyer while the Police were attempting to get him to cooperate and leave the plane. In the same video he's telling the officers that they will have to drag him off the plane. Has been in the hospital all day claiming to have a concussion.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #48
Fager Fan
Veteran

I'm surprised at the number of you who think the guy should've gotten off the plane. If I don't give up my seat willingly, then it better be one hell of an emergency to force me off the flight. I paid for it, and if I don't give it up willingly, then I either must be home or want to be home, and they have the duty to honor my ticket.

I wouldn't get up either, and I'd warn them that if anyone touches me, that I'll consider it assault and will press charges.

It's BS that they can do this to anyone. The only time a paying customer should be removed is if they pose some kind of threat. Otherwise, sorry, no way.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #49
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
they have the duty to honor my ticket.
The ticket is a contract between you and the airline, and the contract gives them the right to deny you service on that flight. You agree to that and give them that right when you buy the ticket.
Quote:
1. Can airlines just throw seated passengers off planes?

Yes. When you purchase an airline ticket you’re also entering into a detailed contract that specifies the many rights an airline has related to the trip. One of them allows the carrier to seize your seat in return for compensation and an alternate means of transport, usually on a later flight. Airlines also can determine that when their employees must be somewhere for duty -- a status that, yes, may place them ahead of paying customers -- a passenger’s seat can be taken. That’s because not positioning a crew member can lead to a future flight cancellation or delay.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-quicktake-q-a
Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #50
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The ticket is a contract between you and the airline, and the contract gives them the right to deny you service on that flight. You agree to that and give them that right when you buy the ticket.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-quicktake-q-a
I've bought plenty of tickets. None of that is there. I've read every screen. I've seen every bit of print on my boarding passes. It's awfully convenient that we're supposedly agreeing to terms that no one sees nor could they do anything about it they do see.

Contract law isn't as cut and dry as what is on a piece of paper. Part of what determines legality is the ability to negotiate and the necessity of the contract in which one is entering. I haven't hear of anyone who knew they were subject for getting kicked off a flight through nothing they do wrong. If they've been granted this authority by law, we may see it changed. We'll see if there are some consequences. I know I will be making a point to never book an United flight.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #51
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Just watched some video , that response from the cops was disgusting, uncalled for and criminal.... I hope Dr. Dao is ok , dude is like 70 years old.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #52
Clocker

Quote:
I've bought plenty of tickets. None of that is there. I've read every screen. I've seen every bit of print on my boarding passes. It's awfully convenient that we're supposedly agreeing to terms that no one sees nor could they do anything about it they do see.

Contract law isn't as cut and dry as what is on a piece of paper. Part of what determines legality is the ability to negotiate and the necessity of the contract in which one is entering. I haven't hear of anyone who knew they were subject for getting kicked off a flight through nothing they do wrong. If they've been granted this authority by law, we may see it changed. We'll see if there are some consequences. I know I will be making a point to never book an United flight.
Passengers are not given a copy of the Contract of Carriage Document. But they agree to it when they buy a ticket. It is on the United web site or you can get a copy from any ticket agent. All airlines do the same thing, and all have contract language about the same.

The US Department of Transportation puts out a guide to passenger rights, and in there it says that all airline passengers are subject to involuntary bumps.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights#Overbooking
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #53
MutuelClerk

Quote:
I'm surprised at the number of you who think the guy should've gotten off the plane. If I don't give up my seat willingly, then it better be one hell of an emergency to force me off the flight. I paid for it, and if I don't give it up willingly, then I either must be home or want to be home, and they have the duty to honor my ticket.

I wouldn't get up either, and I'd warn them that if anyone touches me, that I'll consider it assault and will press charges.

It's BS that they can do this to anyone. The only time a paying customer should be removed is if they pose some kind of threat. Otherwise, sorry, no way.
Well Said. 100% agree.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #54
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The pilot should have made an announcement that the flight was being delayed by the passenger in seat X-A, and it would not depart until he left the plane.

The other passengers would have thrown his body onto the tarmac.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #55
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The pilot should have made an announcement that the flight was being delayed by the passenger in seat X-A, and it would not depart until he left the plane.

Brilliant!!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #56
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
He started screaming when someone not only put their hands on him, but also when he was being jerked over the armrest. He was seated at the window with the middle armrest down. I've sat in that seat enough times to know you can't get out, at least not easily or without some pain, with that armrest down. I think someone being manhandled over the armrest would cause loud vocals by anyone to whom that was done.
I guess the point that I was trying to make, not very well, is that he should have capitulated when the guys in badges showed up. He refused, refused, refused. They didn't just come and grab him. There is new video today where he clearly states, "I'm not going." Like I said, I think that United is almost entirely at fault, but this guy was overly defiant in my opinion.

I have seen people invited off planes before; usually when returning from Cabo and because the passengers were drunk. Never have those passengers, passengers who may be expected to be belligerent due to intoxication, ever refused or made any type of scene.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #57
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I guess the point that I was trying to make, not very well, is that he should have capitulated when the guys in badges showed up. He refused, refused, refused. They didn't just come and grab him. There is new video today where he clearly states, "I'm not going." Like I said, I think that United is almost entirely at fault, but this guy was overly defiant in my opinion.

I have seen people invited off planes before; usually when returning from Cabo and because the passengers were drunk. Never have those passengers, passengers who may be expected to be belligerent due to intoxication, ever refused or made any type of scene.
I feel for the guy in the situation because air travel is already a huge pain in the ass, with piss poor customer service, constant delays, BS "mechanical problem" excuses, late flights, canceled flights, arrive an hour or even two hours early so they have time to probe your bodies, take away your water and then charge you $3 for a bottle of water inside. That just barely begins to describe the crappy world of air travel, where your time is worth zero, and they hardly give a damn when they create havoc with your plans.

And now they want to take me off a flight through no fault of my own? All because they wouldn't make financial offers decent enough to get volunteers? With my past travel experiences, including the wonderful night that they made hundreds of us sleep in the check in area, with no chairs, without our luggage, wouldn't even allow us back to a gate where there were chairs to sit or lay on to sleep, maybe for God's sake pass out some pillows and blankets...... you get my drift. My blood-pressure rises just entering the terminal, so I can get someone losing it over being kicked off a flight like this.

Needless to say, I drive whenever I can. A dozen hours in a car is far preferable to flying.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #58
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... A dozen hours in a car is far preferable to flying.
A dozen hours in Abu Grahib is preferable to flying.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #59
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Even I have to admit you nailed it!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #60
Clocker

Not even Hitler removed passengers after they were seated!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: