Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #16
johnhannibalsmith

That's pretty funny... "...it's hard not to see..."

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #17
chadk66

anybody from United or the airport involved in this should loose their jobs. like I said, congress will now be involved in this ordeal. where the hell is Obama and his red line when you need it
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #18
Fager Fan
Veteran

Why were they on the plane when they realized they had too few seats? It should've been handled prior to boarding.

Why didn't they up the offers until they found 4 volunteers? That's the only way it should be handled, as people who paid for a seat and did nothing wrong should not be forced to give up their seats. Buying a ticket is a contract, and the airlines should not be able to breach the contract.

Crew is allowed to ride in the jump seats. There should've been at least one jump seat free, so why not put the crew member there?

He'll, rent a car and driver to take the crew to Louisville. That would've been a lot cheaper than how much they're going to pay for this one.

I think the airport police could be charged with assault.

The pilot is responsible for all that happens on his plane so hope he suffers some repercussions too.

This never should've happened. Airlines run roughshod over their customers constantly.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Why were they on the plane when they realized they had too few seats? It should've been handled prior to boarding.

Why didn't they up the offers until they found 4 volunteers? That's the only way it should be handled, as people who paid for a seat and did nothing wrong should not be forced to give up their seats. Buying a ticket is a contract, and the airlines should not be able to breach the contract.

Crew is allowed to ride in the jump seats. There should've been at least one jump seat free, so why not put the crew member there?

He'll, rent a car and driver to take the crew to Louisville. That would've been a lot cheaper than how much they're going to pay for this one.

I think the airport police could be charged with assault.

The pilot is responsible for all that happens on his plane so hope he suffers some repercussions too.

This never should've happened. Airlines run roughshod over their customers constantly.
Since there were multiple crew members involved, why didn't they ride the super economy class by sticking them in the cargo hold? Problem solved.

I hope United gets sued big time!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Why didn't they up the offers until they found 4 volunteers?
Exactly, everybody has their price, they only needed one more volunteer.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #21
BaffertsWig

Quote:
people who paid for a seat and did nothing wrong should not be forced to give up their seats. Buying a ticket is a contract, and the airlines should not be able to breach the contract.
Have you ever read the fine print? It says a passenger can be removed from a flight by airline personnel for ANY reason. Not saying the way he was removed was appropriate at all, the airline definitely should have handled it differently. Next time you fly and this situation arises, just tell them you're a doctor with patients to see the next morning. They'll leave you alone and go on to the next person.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Reason #787 not to ever get near an airport much less on an airplane.

Yeah I hate to fly, this was especially absurd as the passengers were being bumped for United employees.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #23
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Exactly, everybody has their price, they only needed one more volunteer.
I find it crazy that no one jumped at the $800+hotel offer. I've been on flights where they were looking for volunteers to give up their seat and I've never seen it get above $300 before people are practically jumping over others to get that money.

And another thing that's good to know if you should ever find yourself in this situation: you don't have to take the compensation in airline vouchers. You CAN request a check.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
BaffertsWig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Yeah I hate to fly, this was especially absurd as the passengers were being bumped for United employees.
It's not as if the employees were flying standby for vacation or anything, they had to be on the flight to work a flight the next morning. Without a flight crew to man that flight the next morning, it would have been delayed or even cancelled, thus creating a ripple effect down the line.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

How about the doctor acting like gentleman, and walking off the plane, when asked?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #26
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
It's not as if the employees were flying standby for vacation or anything, they had to be on the flight to work a flight the next morning. Without a flight crew to man that flight the next morning, it would have been delayed or even cancelled, thus creating a ripple effect down the line.

So whose fault is that? Couldn't they have driven them or gotten them there via another airline? Or used some sort of staff in Louisville to do the work needed? Very poor customer service.
I have seen volunteers to be bumped in Las Vegas but in general I may have to be at work, etc the next day and cannot consider (almost) any offer.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #27
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
How about the doctor acting like gentleman, and walking off the plane, when asked?

I do agree at some point he should have given up the fight but still doesn't make United right.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #28
tucker6

Quote:
not the passengers problem.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Couldn't use a rental car etc because the flight crew has to have guaranteed hours off between flights etc. I heard on radio that this was the last flight that would have allowed them to fly the next morning

Poor planning all around. I'm still shocked nobody took the offer though......
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #30
iwearpurple

Quote:
Have you ever read the fine print? It says a passenger can be removed from a flight by airline personnel for ANY reason. Not saying the way he was removed was appropriate at all, the airline definitely should have handled it differently. Next time you fly and this situation arises, just tell them you're a doctor with patients to see the next morning. They'll leave you alone and go on to the next person.
Uh huh. If they removed an individual because they were Muslim, every liberal in this country would be screaming their lungs out.

The proper way this should have been done is the way it is handled every day. The airline keeps bumping the offer up until someone accepts it. Almost EVERYONE at some point will accept some offer. But no, United decided they weren't going to offer more than $800.00. So now, this will cost them millions in lost revenue and it should. Secondly, it absolutely should have been done before everyone is on the plane. Once, I'm on the plane, no way am I volunteering to leave.
iwearpurple is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: