Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
delsully
Veteran

Classic Empire retired

Had to see this coming with all the difficulties he's had.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...o-ashford-stud
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Would have been actual news if he wasn't being retired.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
outofthebox

I think it's garbage. If it's just foot and back issues time will heal. It just sucks that horses retire early. I would love to see what this guy could do with a fresh start as a 4yo. Oh well, billionaire Oxley just needs that syndication money..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I think it's garbage. If it's just foot and back issues time will heal. It just sucks that horses retire early. I would love to see what this guy could do with a fresh start as a 4yo. Oh well, billionaire Oxley just needs that syndication money..
Yep. Unless it's a very serious injury with no hope of coming back in the same form, retiring 3 year olds is just terrible for the sport.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Yep. Unless it's a very serious injury with no hope of coming back in the same form, retiring 3 year olds is just terrible for the sport.

The economics are what they are and I'm in no position to tell other people what to do with their money or horses, but I agree. If more top horses ran at 4 and 5 it would benefit the sport on multiple levels. At least we typically get to see the best fillies/mares race a little longer. That gives you some hope for great fields and matchups among them.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Market Mover

Breeding rights had already been sold to Ashford prior to Preakness. Deal was already done.
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mover View Post
Breeding rights had already been sold to Ashford prior to Preakness. Deal was already done.
Even so, a little more racing probably couldn't hurt his breeding prospects.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
outofthebox

Quote:
Didn't know that. Thanks. Still the horse was never given the chance to heal. They tried to train him through his ailments. Would have loved to see him as a 4yo with no hitch in his training..Good luck at stud CE..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Market Mover

His strong female familly makes him an exciting stallion prospect as a son of POTN who may possess a better pedigree than the Triple Crown winner at the same farm. Oxley had to take some money off the table, so to speak. This game is no different from other forms of investments; it's about buying low and selling high. Oxley knew the 2yo champion, with all of his mental and physical quirks, may not return to the G1 level with all that time off. In selling his breeding rights after the gutsy Preakness effort, he knew his horse was at the peak of his Triple Crown limelight and many respected his losing effort more than even the winner's effort. It will be interesting to see what his price point will be for 2018 in comparison to the "other son" of POTN who happens to be a TC winner.
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
His strong female familly makes him an exciting stallion prospect as a son of POTN who may possess a better pedigree than the Triple Crown winner at the same farm. Oxley had to take some money off the table, so to speak. This game is no different from other forms of investments; it's about buying low and selling high. Oxley knew the 2yo champion, with all of his mental and physical quirks, may not return to the G1 level with all that time off. In selling his breeding rights after the gutsy Preakness effort, he knew his horse was at the peak of his Triple Crown limelight and many respected his losing effort more than even the winner's effort. It will be interesting to see what his price point will be for 2018 in comparison to the "other son" of POTN who happens to be a TC winner.
It looks like CE will start out at $35k. I’m curious as to how much AP fetches.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstoc...-season/306176
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
Road Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsully View Post

About $10K too much...IMO. Much better breeding deals to be had out there with proven sires that would nick just as well with some of the same mares that will be sent to CE.
Road Kill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Kill View Post
About $10K too much...IMO. Much better breeding deals to be had out there with proven sires that would nick just as well with some of the same mares that will be sent to CE.
I think it's fine. There are some decent proven stallions out there for $25-35k, but none that blow your socks off (if they do, their stud fees are going up for 2018, like Violence and Cairo Prince). He shouldn't have a problem getting a nice book for that price.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Road Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I think it's fine. There are some decent proven stallions out there for $25-35k, but none that blow your socks off (if they do, their stud fees are going up for 2018, like Violence and Cairo Prince). He shouldn't have a problem getting a nice book for that price.
🤷🏼*♀️ Should get a better read on how well received CE will be after Keenelands sale...a lot of APs selling. Personally, with Bodemeisters 2018 fee set at $40K, that's where I'd be sending mares if I want that Empire Maker x Storm Cat line.
Road Kill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 02:23 AM   #14
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsully View Post

AP's fee for 2016 was about 200k, so it pays to win the TC
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: