Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #361
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
Anyone who says that what Rapid Redux "accomplished" tonight was more impressive than Cigar or Zenyatta has absolutely no clue about racing. It's a remark so silly that it's incomprehensible.

Complaining about TVG not covering this race is like complaining that ESPN didn't break in with special reports with every at-bat of a baseball player in Single A who had a 56-game hitting streak. Actually, considering how these races were set up, it's more like a Single-A player who had a 56-game hitting streak in batting practice. That's how "impressive" this streak is.

100% correct.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #362
Canarsie

Quote:
Wow, so we should applaud because a good horse chooses to beat on weaker horses and the owners are too scared to face anything that can run? Yes, it's wonderful that the horse lived long enough to make it to the track 20 times without breaking down, but I imagine a consistent horse like Gio Ponti could have beaten starter allowance turf horses 20 straight times too...does that make him the greatest horse ever or doing so somehow remarkable?

You should applaud any horse that gets reported in ANY non traditional outlet. They might have had more casual viewrs for the last couple of races then hardcore. That to me is reason enough to give kudos.

I don't think a regular in horse racing considers it a glowing achievement that's not the point. As for Gio Ponti he could have won 40 in a row under those conditions but his owners would been robbed of tons of purse money. Do you actually think when the streak was at three the connections though this could be achieved at any condition favorable to them? They didn't write these type of races all they can do is enter him if he qualifies.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #363
wisconsin

Quote:
Wow, so we should applaud because a good horse chooses to beat on weaker horses and the owners are too scared to face anything that can run? Yes, it's wonderful that the horse lived long enough to make it to the track 20 times without breaking down, but I imagine a consistent horse like Gio Ponti could have beaten starter allowance turf horses 20 straight times too...does that make him the greatest horse ever or doing so somehow remarkable?
Comparing this horse to a Gio Ponte type of a horse is ridiculous and you know it. I'm still scratching my head trying to think of another cheap horse who has done this, being it's soooo easy and not much of an accomplishment.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #364
mountainman

Congratulations to Cole and Wells, but no way was I going to insult viewers by characterizing the race as anything but a walkover. If interested, please consult my blog entry entitled "Superman Never Scratches." It's archived on mnr's website and attempts to shed light on such affairs.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #365
AlbertButtry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Congratulations to Cole and Wells, but no way was I going to insult viewers by characterizing the race as anything but a walkover. If interested, please consult my blog entry entitled "Superman Never Scratches." It's archived on mnr's website and attempts to shed light on such affairs.
......I know people who own horses that said Lady on Fire made it a race because RR only won by four. It is hilarious. Why when by 20 when 4 is all you need.
AlbertButtry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #366
Steve R

Quote:
Gio Ponti (or you fill in the name) 20 straight against starter allowance types? Quite possibly. In less than 12 months. Probably not.

Rapid Redux consistently earns BSFs in the high 80s running and winning essentially every two to three weeks for a year. I'm not convinced there is one horse in thousand physically capable of that regardless of what level you run them at.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #367
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertButtry
......I know people who own horses that said Lady on Fire made it a race because RR only won by four. It is hilarious. Why when by 20 when 4 is all you need.
Hey, dude, how ru hitting them? Tell your dad I said hi.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #368
AlbertButtry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R
Gio Ponti (or you fill in the name) 20 straight against starter allowance types? Quite possibly. In less than 12 months. Probably not.

Rapid Redux consistently earns BSFs in the high 80s running and winning essentially every two to three weeks for a year. I'm not convinced there is one horse in thousand physically capable of that regardless of what level you run them at.
I will give him that he run every 3 weeks. He had to. If he runs every 5 weeks he doesn't have the starter condition to break the record. Like I have said before, he was very cleverly managed to get the record. I really don't consider yesterday a race. More along the lines of a paid workout.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #369
AlbertButtry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Hey, dude, how ru hitting them? Tell your dad I said hi.
I will......I have been doing pretty good. It looks like it will be nice and sloppy tonight. How are you doing?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #370
mountainman

Quote:
I will give him that he run every 3 weeks. He had to. If he runs every 5 weeks he doesn't have the starter condition to break the record.
Sharp post. For several reasons, starter-conditions are extremely conducive to winning streaks.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #371
mountainman

Quote:
I will......I have been doing pretty good. It looks like it will be nice and sloppy tonight. How are you doing?
Real good pal. Tx for asking.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #372
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Well said. Thank goodness Jack O' Lantern decided to run in the tougher allowance race one rare prior or the mighty Rapid Redux would have been scratched to avoid him...again.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #373
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Well said. Thank goodness Jack O' Lantern decided to run in the tougher allowance race one rare prior or the mighty Rapid Redux would have been scratched to avoid him...again.
I hate to take such a hard stand because I do respect that the horse won 20 in a row...it's just the idea that it's an accomplishment like Cigar or Zenyatta (and I was on the negative side in a lot of Zenyatta threads) that set me off. Picking off weak competition and beating tiny fields is wonderful for the owner but not any sort of immortal accomplishment.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #374
Cardus
Veteran

This is a manufactured, inconsequential "streak."
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #375
Steve R

Quote:
Picking off weak competition and beating tiny fields is wonderful for the owner but not any sort of immortal accomplishment.
Yeah, sort of like Zenyatta's endless streak of carbon copy races in SoCal against essentially the same fillies and mares at the same distances when she had multiple opportunities to step up but didn't.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply