Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
mountainman

Writing Skills

Stephen King says they are like a muscle-If you lift weights 15 minutes per day, you will get stronger, and those who write with similar regularity become better at it.

Admittedly, as an at least semi-regular poster (and aspiring novelist), the quick, impatient staccato- style I employ when sounding in here deprives me of a handy opportunity to hone my own writing skills. But I have noticed considerable improvement in some other posters.

However, just as equating eloquence with intelligence can lead to false conclusions, assuming that a board member's writing skills reflect his racing acumen seems like a potential trap.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-03-2021 at 11:14 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
thaskalos

IMO...regular reading helps just as much as writing does. Word patterns form in our minds while reading the work of other competent writers...and this helps us greatly when we ourselves sit down to write.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...regular reading helps just as much as writing does. Word patterns form in our minds while reading the work of other competent writers...and this helps us greatly when we ourselves sit down to write.
had time this winter to follow two separate series of lectures offered by comcast under "great courses"...one focused on chess, the other fiction writing...each intense and each delivered the goods..i will say the writing instructor better organized and conveyed his teachings, and made me realize what supreme skills are required to lecture expansively , yet relate the proper ground-rules and constraints intrinsic to a particular endeavor..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Stephen King says they are like a muscle-If you lift weights 15 minutes per day, you will get stronger, and those who write with similar regularity become better at it.
I take it that you read his book On Writing? King is a real talent that often goes unnoticed because people think of him only as a horror writer. On Writing is a fantastic book. And the movie Shawshank Redemption is based on his short story. Too bad movies based on his books are often bad. Not his fault.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Admittedly, as an at least semi-regular poster (and aspiring novelist), the quick, impatient staccato- style I employ when sounding in here deprives me of a handy opportunity to hone my own writing skills. But I have noticed considerable improvement in some other posters.

However, just as equating eloquence with intelligence can lead to false conclusions, assuming that a board member's writing skills reflect his racing acumen seems like a potential trap.
The problem is that practicing poor skills does not make us better.

I could hit 3 buckets of balls every day and would never get as close to the PGA as I will if I just buy a ticket.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

I could hit 3 buckets of balls every day and would never get as close to the PGA as I will if I just buy a ticket.
You can get close, check out my favorite golf instructor on YouTube that keeps it simple and is also funny. He has a online golf school if your game needs it.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC62Ygv4OmSNZBFkL6A7KDQg

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 05-03-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
You can get close, check out my favorite golf instructor on YouTube that keeps it simple and is also funny. He has a online golf school if your game needs it.

https://youtube.com/channel/UC62Ygv4OmSNZBFkL6A7KDQg

The Dan Plan

https://www.golfwrx.com/437894/what-...-the-dan-plan/
Old 05-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You haves a good point, Dave.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:

Agreed. I think it was Dick Mitchell who wrote, "Practice makes permanent." Perfect is a long way from permanent.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
The problem is that practicing poor skills does
This board and other online ventures has ruined my writing skills.

I used to get compliments.........not anymore.

I also blame autocorrect and other grammar correcting software that has made me lazy
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #11
thaskalos

My favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Wor...s%2C175&sr=1-2
Old 05-04-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
This board and other online ventures has ruined my writing skills.

I used to get compliments.........not anymore.

I also blame autocorrect and other grammar correcting software that has made me lazy
Do you wear bifocals Ralph? And if so sometimes don't use them at the computer?
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 12:50 AM   #13
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Interesting topic, mountainman. I have something I'd like to add, if I may.

I used to love to read those paperback novels found in supermarkets and drugstores. My favorite genre was "True Crime" novels. Usually written by newspaper writers who covered a story interesting enough to become an entire novel. Some became best-sellers, especially by former newspaper reporter Ann Rule, among others. I probably read at least a hundred of them. The only requirement was-they had to be based on a true story.

Now to my point...there was an author in the 60's and 70's named Truman Capote. Most of you are old enough to remember him very well. Remember this was before any gay liberation parades, etc. Quite frankly, the man disgusted me. He had the most pronounced gay lisp imaginable, and seemed to be on one or another talk show weekly.

I absolutely refused to read his best-seller true-crime novel entitled "In Cold Blood". I had no inclination to read anything by that weirdo freak.

So one day I'm in the library--and found I had read every true-crime novel in the place--except one.
So I reluctantly checked the book out, out of desperation for some reading material. It sat on the coffee table for a couple days, until I finally picked it up, and glanced at the first few pages.

I read and read, taking the book with me for the nightstand. I couldn't put it down! By the end of the first few chapters...I was keenly aware this was the absolute best, most well-written crime novel I had ever read. After reading it through--I re-read the entire novel once more.

I had deprived myself of this brilliant, fascinating work...all because the author was "parade" gay...and I hated him.

Yes...I learned a valuable lesson from Mr Capote.

I never made that mistake again.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 12:56 AM   #14
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I absolutely refused to read his best-seller true-crime novel entitled "In Cold Blood".

I was keenly aware this was the absolute best, most well-written crime novel I had ever read. After reading it through--I re-read the entire novel once more.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 01:02 AM   #15
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Do you wear bifocals Ralph? And if so sometimes don't use them at the computer?
WTF do you wear?

99% of your posts are unintelligible.