Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #3931
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I know truth is not determined by a vote. You might want to remember that the next time AGW is discussed in the same breath with the "consensus of science". Or the next time evolution is discussed.
"Consensus of science" is your little phrase, not mine. Peer review is an ongoing process that never ends. No one person or group ever declares that any theory has officially passed peer review and is now dogma. So while it's very unlikely that some theories (like germ theory) will ever be superseded it could happen.

You point out the dominance of Christianity among the worlds religions that it's become an argumentum ad nauseam. It comes along with about the same frequency as emails telling me that there's millions of dollars waiting for me in a bank in Nigeria.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #3932
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You wanted evidence that a certain Greek god's existence was never called into question. I gave it to you. Plato, ...
Tell me chapter and verse where Plato dismissed the gods.
Quote:
... Socrates ...
Socrates never wrote anything. He was entirely verbal. We have only the reports of others as to what he said.
Quote:
... and others dismissed them entirely.
What others? Chapter and verse.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #3933
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I'd like to make a small digression to ask a question of anyone who cares to respond.

Back in the 1960s there as a made-for-television movie titled Leviathan Five. The story told of five men trapped in an underground lab. They know how long it will take for rescuers to reach them. They also know that their air will run out before then and they will all die. But there is just enough air that four people might survive is one of them dies. Which one do they kill?

The movie did not go into the religion of the five but suppose that four of them where atheists and one was a true Christian. Would not the logical choice be to kill the Christian? After all, the Christian believes he will go to heaven and that the others will burn in hell. Should not the Christian accept the role of sacrificial lamb since he will immediately go the heaven and one or more of the others might afterward repent and be saved? Also, from the atheists point of view, the Christian should fear death the least.
Your dilemma addresses consequentialism.

As a Catholic, I would not will the death of any of the five, as summed in para #1752 in the following...

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s1c1a4.htm

I'm not sure atheistic philosopher Massimo Pigliucci would, either. " I do not see an exclusive focus on consequences as viable to construct an entire ethical theory"...

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.c...entialism.html
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #3934
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Give me some ancient person of note that dismissed Christ's existence.
The most fervent and successful censors of all time are the Christians. When Christianity became the official Roman religion they went on a book burning spree. But they did not succeed completely. I refer you to The Greatest Story Ever Sold by D.M. Murdock, chapter 6, "Further Evidence of a Fraud." Murdock points out the existence of a movement, Docetism, which advocated the proposition that Jesus never existed. Ergo, the Christ Myth Theory is not a modern invention.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #3935
boxcar

Quote:
"Consensus of science" is your little phrase, not mine. Peer review is an ongoing process that never ends. No one person or group ever declares that any theory has officially passed peer review and is now dogma. So while it's very unlikely that some theories (like germ theory) will ever be superseded it could happen.

You point out the dominance of Christianity among the worlds religions that it's become an argumentum ad nauseam. It comes along with about the same frequency as emails telling me that there's millions of dollars waiting for me in a bank in Nigeria.
You must have done something to merit all those scam emails. I believe I have received only one such email in my life.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #3936
boxcar

Quote:
Tell me chapter and verse where Plato dismissed the gods.
Socrates never wrote anything. He was entirely verbal. We have only the reports of others as to what he said.
What others? Chapter and verse.
Wow! How Kool is that!? Socarates must not have existed either, since like Jesus he never wrote a word of scripture.

Regarding what some of the philosophers thought about the pantheon of Greek gods:

http://askphilosophers.org/question/4976
Old 09-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #3937
boxcar

Quote:
I'd like to make a small digression to ask a question of anyone who cares to respond.

Back in the 1960s there as a made-for-television movie titled Leviathan Five. The story told of five men trapped in an underground lab. They know how long it will take for rescuers to reach them. They also know that their air will run out before then and they will all die. But there is just enough air that four people might survive is one of them dies. Which one do they kill?

The movie did not go into the religion of the five but suppose that four of them where atheists and one was a true Christian. Would not the logical choice be to kill the Christian? After all, the Christian believes he will go to heaven and that the others will burn in hell. Should not the Christian accept the role of sacrificial lamb since he will immediately go the heaven and one or more of the others might afterward repent and be saved? Also, from the atheists point of view, the Christian should fear death the least.
Apart from capital punishment lawfully administered through the judicial process, taking any person's life for any reason is not man's prerogative. Man's duty is to obey the 6th commandment.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #3938
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You must have done something to merit all those scam emails. I believe I have received only one such email in my life.
You must lead a dull life.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #3939
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Wow! How Kool is that!? Socarates must not have existed either, since like Jesus he never wrote a word of scripture.
No one is telling me that if I believe in Socrates I will spend eternity in paradise and if I do not believe in Socrates I will burn forever.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #3940
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Apart from capital punishment lawfully administered through the judicial process, taking any person's life for any reason is not man's prerogative. Man's duty is to obey the 6th commandment.
War? Self defense?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #3941
boxcar

Quote:
You must lead a dull life.
No...just a life where I try to minimize risks, most especially in the wild and wooly www.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #3942
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No...just a life where I try to minimize risks, most especially in the wild and wooly www.
I.e., a dull life.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #3943
boxcar

Quote:
No one is telling me that if I believe in Socrates I will spend eternity in paradise and if I do not believe in Socrates I will burn forever.
Exactly! It's the message you don't like and so you make up all kinds of lame excuses to ignore it. Thanks for confirming that.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #3944
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Exactly! It's the message you don't like and so you make up all kinds of lame excuses to ignore it. Thanks for confirming that.
Ad hominem– Appeal to motive – a subtype of the ad hominem fallacy that dismisses an idea by questioning the motives of its proposer.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #3945
Actor
Librocubicularist

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-23-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Closed Thread