Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #16
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That's a lie.

Nobody feels COMPLETELY SAFE on a NYC subway....ever...
You obvious don’t ride the subway either.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
You obvious don’t ride the subway either.

Allan
Not since 2019, pre-COVID.

And I couldn't have been happier not to ride in that shithole on days I couldn't walk it.

Speaking of walking, ever try and do that for more than 5 minutes and not pass a homeless person either sleeping on the sidewalk or accosting you for something?

Yeah, it's a wonderful place...especially these days, I'll bet.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #18
biggestal99

Quote:

And I couldn't have been happier not to ride in that shithole on days I couldn't walk it.

Speaking of walking, ever try and do that for more than 5 minutes and not pass a homeless person either sleeping on the sidewalk or accosting you for something?

I basically ignore the homeless.

If panhandles me, I do the same.

I work hard for my money and I certainly won’t give it away to people with mental problems.

Allan
Old 12-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:

5 minutes? Dang maybe it isn't as bad as advertised. I used to work a block from Skid Row back in the early 80's. I used to walk every morning to the post office to get the mail. There were so many homeless people on the sidewalk I had to walk in the street. The whole place smelled like pee, empty Thunderbird bottles everywhere. The whole area smelled so bad it was almost hard to notice the old building I worked in was across a narrow alley from a fish cannery.

I have only driven through NYC, I don't see how anyone could drive in that daily, has to be the worst traffic in the USA.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That was back in 2019...it had been getting progressively worse with each passing year, especially under DeBlasio....Rudy really cleaned up the place...I wonder what he did with all those homeless people.

best not to ask, I guess, since he went from "AMERICA'S MAYOR" to "CRAZY HAIR DYE GUY"
Old 12-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #21
dlivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
5 minutes? Dang maybe it isn't as bad as advertised. I used to work a block from Skid Row back in the early 80's. I used to walk every morning to the post office to get the mail. There were so many homeless people on the sidewalk I had to walk in the street. The whole place smelled like pee, empty Thunderbird bottles everywhere. The whole area smelled so bad it was almost hard to notice the old building I worked in was across a narrow alley from a fish cannery.

I have only driven through NYC, I don't see how anyone could drive in that daily, has to be the worst traffic in the USA.
Still sits or yet is up around the top places to be seen in or just have friends living in the city.
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I basically ignore the homeless.

If panhandles me, I do the same.

I work hard for my money and I certainly won’t give it away to people with mental problems.

Allan
A true democrat.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I basically ignore the homeless..Allan
Spreading that Christmas cheer, as only YOU can do....Don't worry, nobody's watching.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #24
davew

arsonist / terrorist starts christmas tree outside FOX news

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...?ocid=msedgntp
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #25
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Spreading that Christmas cheer, as only YOU can do....Don't worry, nobody's watching.
I volunteer and donate to the local food bank where I know my money and efforts aren’t wasted. If you give it to a random homeless person, that’s Russian roulette.

Allan
Old 12-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #26
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I volunteer and donate to the local food bank where I know my money and efforts aren’t wasted. If you give it to a random homeless person, that’s Russian roulette.

Allan

Ages ago I had a panhandler walk up to me at a mini mart gas station late at night giving me the BS story of needing money to go in and buy milk and diapers.

I told him I thought he was lying, you want it for alcohol, don't you? Guy was kind of silent. I told him I was not going to give him any money I said I would go buy milk and diapers for him or he could grab some alcohol I had in the trunk. You will never guess what he picked. I was in charge of alcohol at a wedding reception at a large house where the homeowners did not drink so I hauled out the leftovers. I had a Cadillac CDV and the trunk was about half full of liquor bottles some unopened, some with a pint left in a 1.75 liter bottle. Plenty of beers left in an ice chest that would hold a full grown man.

He took a bottle of vodka and a plastic bag full of beer. Did anybody guess milk & diapers?

Might have told him off if I didn't have the alcohol collection. It was 1am and I was the only one pumping gas, he kind of came out of the darkness, he would have spooked a lot of people. I used him for a little entertainment.

I give money to panhandlers on occasion if I am in an extremely good mood or their story is actually believable.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #27
TJDave

Quote:
Ages ago I had a panhandler walk up to me at a mini mart gas station late at night giving me the BS story of needing money to go in and buy milk and diapers.

I told him I thought he was lying, you want it for alcohol, don't you? Guy was kind of silent. I told him I was not going to give him any money I said I would go buy milk and diapers for him or he could grab some alcohol I had in the trunk. You will never guess what he picked. I was in charge of alcohol at a wedding reception at a large house where the homeowners did not drink so I hauled out the leftovers. I had a Cadillac CDV and the trunk was about half full of liquor bottles some unopened, some with a pint left in a 1.75 liter bottle. Plenty of beers left in an ice chest that would hold a full grown man.

He took a bottle of vodka and a plastic bag full of beer. Did anybody guess milk & diapers?

Might have told him off if I didn't have the alcohol collection. It was 1am and I was the only one pumping gas, he kind of came out of the darkness, he would have spooked a lot of people. I used him for a little entertainment.

I give money to panhandlers on occasion if I am in an extremely good mood or their story is actually believable.
Years ago and way before political correctness a friend started an organization called Wassails for Winos. He would collect money and buy cases of fortified wine and 1/2 pints of hard liquor to distribute during the Christmas season. He was a big hit.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Years ago and way before political correctness a friend started an organization called Wassails for Winos. He would collect money and buy cases of fortified wine and 1/2 pints of hard liquor to distribute during the Christmas season. He was a big hit.

What brand of wine? The official wino whine of Skid Row when I worked a block away in the early 80's was Thunderbird, empty bottles were everywhere. The corner store that sold it also sold the Racing Form. I think they both cost $1.50. Looks like it is no longer made but online stores make you think it is and then you put in any address and it says unavailable.

I even tried an address a block over from Skid Row. Not sure the liquor store profit on cheap wine, but in that small store it was rare to not have a couple winos in line all the time.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #29
Dave Schwartz

When I lived in LA (Wilshire Center) back in 1979, I was in a local Von's. Watched a guy in front of me buy a 6-pack of beer and a can of Sterno.

Asked the cashier about it and he explained that Sterno was known as "Squeeze." (The camp stove fuel)

Street people would mix it with anything palatable and drink it. Read about it in the story below.

Skid Row Deaths Of 1963
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What brand of wine? The official wino whine of Skid Row when I worked a block away in the early 80's was Thunderbird, empty bottles were everywhere. The corner store that sold it also sold the Racing Form. I think they both cost $1.50. Looks like it is no longer made but online stores make you think it is and then you put in any address and it says unavailable.

I even tried an address a block over from Skid Row. Not sure the liquor store profit on cheap wine, but in that small store it was rare to not have a couple winos in line all the time.
I grew up in the 70s on Thunderbird and Ripple.