Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
Robert Fischer
clean money

Pegasus Day 1/29 thread

Knicks Go vs. Life is Good

good matchup. Good Pegasus/Donn card. Late Pick 5* is interesting.

The Rainbow-6 *'mandatory' day is apparently not until Sunday 1/30 according to David Aragona who did a great preview of the Stakes card above, so maybe that makes Sunday 'playable' as well.

Solid seasonal racing weekend, and an exciting matchup
Old 01-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

After a month of Aquadrab, even GP looks good.
No interest in most of the races, but will be good some real horses for one day.

I like Fearless in the Fred Hooper, with Saffie's Officiating. He looks like they finally got his "dossage" figured out.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
Mulerider

Read elsewhere that Jose Ortiz will replace Desormeaux on Stilleto Boy.

Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post

https://twitter.com/DRFWelsch/status...34411908919297
aw man
that sucks (for his partner, Kent, and his fans)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
aw man
that sucks (for his partner, Kent, and his fans)
The guy is a degenerate, has been for a long time. Showed up here at Woodbine drunk to ride.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
zico20

LIG is the faster horse and Ortiz needs to send him to the lead at all costs and force KG to chase him. Unless a suicidal speed duel develops where they go head and head through sub 1:10 there is no way any other horse has a chance to win. The rest of the field is terrible, however, someone has to be the key horse for 3rd or 4th, and I think it is Stilleto Boy. Sir Winston seems like he needs longer than this. After the top three, it is anyone's guess who will hit the board and also round out the Super Hi 5. If anyone is expecting the ML odds of 6-5 and 7-5 forget it. I see them going off at 4-5 and 1-1.

ALL
ALL
Old 01-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
After a month of Aquadrab, even GP looks good.
No interest in most of the races, but will be good some real horses for one day.

I like Fearless in the Fred Hooper, with Saffie's Officiating. He looks like they finally got his "dossage" figured out.
Aqueduct cancellation of Saturday card due to expected storm will definitely help Gulfstream handle.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #8
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post

https://twitter.com/DRFWelsch/status...34411908919297

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...80.-2207520000..
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

whoever this "Craig Milkowski" guy is, he's pretty good
Old 01-28-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

p5 ideas

r8 - Inside Info S.
8-6-5-2
Tricky race.
Either the Just One Time runs to her full potential in the barn move up, or this could be relatively wide open. 6&5 have the style and talent.

r9 F&M Turf
Regal Glory is an A+
I think CJ has a nice pick here with the as a price B.
4-8-9-1

r10 Hooper G3
and chalky.
8 is best, pace could help the if he can break and sit a trip.
could pick up some pieces
8-1-6-5

r11 Peagasus Turf
and are my A's. tries to wire here, is IMO the best horse in the field.
With the low ml of the I may do at least one ticket where this is more of a spread race.
8-12-9-6.

r12 Pegasus WC
Life is Good looked like a Triple Crown prospect at one point in the Baffert campaign. Winstar CHC and Pletcher never really lost a step even with the physical issues, and then the barn change. I've got Life is Good as my 'A' and the Knicks Go as a 'B' for value, but they are both 'A's on most ticket structure.
Title Ready Chess Chief Stiletto Boy are all fine underneath
4-1-7-2

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-28-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 AM   #11
classhandicapper

I think LIG has more pure speed, but with Knicks Go on the rail and also sure to be sent, the relatively short run to the first turn may make it tough for LIG to clear him early. I also wonder whether the weakness of the rest of the field makes it more likely they go very fast early trying to get the lead. Both could be overconfident they have nothing behind them to worry about. That would make it more likely the pace is so extreme someone else does make a run. The break is going to be critical. I wish the field was deeper, but it’s still a matchup I can’t wait to see.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:11 AM   #12
Spalding No!

Endorsed has a 7-2-2-0 record in two turn races on the dirt, including a pair of stakes placings. He was also a closing 4th in the 2019 Travers. Might have won the 2020 Westchester with a less stupid ride (and may not have been refashioned as a sprinter subsequently, either).

His two route wins were in allowance races; in both he caught a fast pace and looped the field. One of those was at Gulfstream Park.

Been working a hole in the wind since the Mr. Prospector.

Last edited by Spalding No!; 01-29-2022 at 03:14 AM.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #13
acorn54

looks like the live horses are given to the usual suspects, saez, ortiz brothers, and rosario. BORING.
only race i see up for grabs is race 9.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #14
classhandicapper

I am thinking of using Stilleto Boy given he just turned 4, is still relatively lightly raced, has a generally improving pattern, and can probably sit in the second tier of horses off the pace. He seems to be the horse most likely to run a new top. So he might be able to pick up the loser of the pace battle for 2nd or both if they get crazy and melt down. But my Twitter timeline is full of people with similar thinking. So my guess is the price isn’t going to be what I want.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think LIG has more pure speed, but with Knicks Go on the rail and also sure to be sent, the relatively short run to the first turn may make it tough for LIG to clear him early. I also wonder whether the weakness of the rest of the field makes it more likely they go very fast early trying to get the lead. Both could be overconfident they have nothing behind them to worry about. That would make it more likely the pace is so extreme someone else does make a run. The break is going to be critical. I wish the field was deeper, but it’s still a matchup I can’t wait to see.
Excellent point.

The run is short. If both are asked it would be close entering the turn even given that Life Is Good is quicker.
I also have a tiny bit of apprehension with Irad Ortiz up. Irad is probably the rider I rank highest in the game, even when Rosario is at peak popularity, even when Saez steps it up a notch for money meets etc... The only negative ever applied to Irad applies here -> His tendency to ride good/great horses conservatively.

I mean it's a strength and a weakness. He's a 'natural'. He lets a race unfold. He's intelligent. He gets a ton out of the horses. He understands herding and stretch battles. It's just that 'tactical', positional urgency... 'dictating the tactics' from the gate is not his calling card.
Maybe it's a bit unfair to say, and he's often riding standouts on the turf where getting them to run 'their race' is prioritized over controlling the tactical position? Anyway I guess my late-morning coffee is OK! So that's a slight added concern to your Gate-->1stTurn situation as well.

I still like Life is Good. I'd prefer to see LIG go wire-to-wire and take Knicks Go to deep waters. However they're both obviously G1 talents and standouts in the field.

Read some mentions of the Saudi Race - Actually thought Knicks Go ran 'fine' that day. The performance by Charlatan in that race was one of the highest ranking dirt races for me of the year/in-a-while. Charlatan only finished 2nd, but I thought he ran absolutely HUGE, and that Knicks Go ran 'fine' in spite of not contending for the win.
Mishriff(sp?) Ran well behind a dream setup and has been touted as one of the worlds top horses ever since. Winning is always considered better than losing, but I had Knicks Go roughly the same in performance as Mishriff there.

Jockeys? Rides?
- RACE 11 PWCTURF
Umberto Rispoli's ride on FIELD PASS last time was masterful. He completely stole that race. I prefer Sacred Life of the two as win contenders, and I don't see Field Pass being able to make the lead in here at any point today. It's possible that Field Pass will be able to obtain decent forward position if there becomes somewhat of a vacuum of pace after the 12.
Credit to Rispoli for that last ride.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-29-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply