Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
Raider

Crowd noise

Is that going to be a factor?
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Is that going to be a factor?
You mean like wat they've been doing with the other sports venues - simulated crowd noise through speakers?
Old 04-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
You mean like wat they've been doing with the other sports venues - simulated crowd noise through speakers?
I didn't know the the tracks were doing that. None of the races I've watched had the crowd piped in. Haven't read anything about how many people CD was going to let in this year.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
elhelmete

If anything it should be less of an impact if you believe that the horses would be normally affected by a crowd the size of which they've never ever seen before to a more modest one.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
jay68802

When has it been a factor?
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

I read that CD was trying to sell around 40-50% of reserved seats. I don't think they've reduced ticket prices, and it appears they're selling infield access on Saturday. ($70-$80, depending on when you buy the ticket). Not sure what the state restrictions are, but while Keeneland indicated it was mandatory to wear a face mask, I saw plenty of patrons online who didn't comply.

Attendance on Friday may be an indication of what Saturday's crowd will be like - I'd expect a reduction of the normal Oaks (about 95K) and Derby (about 145K) to be less - but I don't know how much less. Weather forecast looks promising for those that don't like rain, snow or heat, though some rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

Unless the horse you like has known issues with crowd noise, or has a tendency to act up in the paddock, it's a bit difficult to gauge the effect of the crowd. Thoroughbreds tend to be a bit high strung, which is one of the reasons it can be a big advantage to delay betting until the post parade.

Of course then you're at the mercy of the ADW tote systems staying up, or long lines if on track, and risk getting shut out....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #7
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
When has it been a factor?
There have been plenty of horses lose it in the paddock on Kentucky Derby day.

I remember back in 1998 when Stuart Janney Jr and Shug McGaughey decided to skip the Derby with Coronado's Quest. They did not want to subject the horse to the carnival atmosphere of the Kentucky Derby.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
There have been plenty of horses lose it in the paddock on Kentucky Derby day.
Just go back to last year, Thousand Words flipped in the paddock and was scratched, breaking Jimmy Barnes arm, then Authentic wheeled around wildly in the winners circle after the race, knocking Baffert for a loop. Even though there weren't fans for the Derby, there were still a load of people in the paddock area and along the fence line it looked like.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
Rex Phinney

A majority of the horses affected by the crowd noise we probably never know about. It's not like the horse can come out and say "Hey, this shit is wild out here, I'm too tense or unfocused to run my best race today"
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
classhandicapper

I think the question being asked is whether horses that have mostly been running in races and at tracks where there has been little or no attendance due to Covid might find a little more stressful when there's more of a crowd.

It probably won't be an issue, but the very large and noisy Derby crowds have been an issue on occasion in the past. I don't even know what the attendance is likely to be for this Derby, but it won't be typical.