Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'm confused. No play for me.

Owendale is a very solid contender and is a very short price.

First Glance of Roadster is a 'sucker' bet. ... 'Name' horse who had injuries and/or side-effects of medication program and fell off the map... Leaves the barn of a great trainer....

However, He had 'B+' level workouts under Baffert's care as late as December. He galloped out well.
Then under the care of Stidham (who is also a good trainer), he ran more good workouts. I don't have video of these works, and I understand that they are timed differently in terms of what they call the timed distance and where they start and finish, but 'on paper', they are fine. There is also no speed in this race and Roadster is a versatile horse.

the is RED HOT on the tote, although I'm not wise to the reason why. But Irad is on the 3 and Luis is on the in two decen horses in a race that could be influenced by which jockeys take the inititiative.

Hard pass , fun race
Old 03-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

good start by JV

should have won the race at the break if roadster is anywhere near his past form. we'll see
Old 03-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
good start by JV

should have won the race at the break if roadster is anywhere near his past form. we'll see
nope

that was a good ride, but Roadster was in fact a sucker play. Blanket finish.

Owendale a bit disapointing there. He had a chance to capitalize, but drifted around.

everyone 'hanging' in the stretch and horses like the flowed up late...

Don't want any of these going forward. Had to hurt the Chalk Guys to see Owendale flatten, even given Roadster's head start.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I'm upset dammit!

Old 03-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by shots View Post
interesting to learn of Roadster's 'quarter crack' history.

Baffert has a great farrier. Justify was very close to having to stop after the Preakness.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #21
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Crazy finish. Had the winner, but didn't think he got up. Guess Saez knew he did. Second stakes win for Stewart today.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
classhandicapper

I screwed this one up. I went back and forth between Sonneman and Chess Chief all morning. When I don't like some of the shorter priced horses and can get a decent price on the ones I like I'll almost always play both and box them. At the last moment I went with just Sonneman. Don't ask me because I don't know.

The race was strange. I thought Sonneman might be the slightly better horse but in a paceless race Chess Chief would get better position and may even make the lead, but Chess Chief actually closed to win.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I screwed this one up. I went back and forth between Sonneman and Chess Chief all morning. When I don't like some of the shorter priced horses and can get a decent price on the ones I like I'll almost always play both and box them. At the last moment I went with just Sonneman. Don't ask me because I don't know.

The race was strange. I thought Sonneman might be the slightly better horse but in a paceless race Chess Chief would get better position and may even make the lead, but Chess Chief actually closed to win.
always an ounce of apprehension that Cox will rejuvinate the stale Owendale, but should this group reassamble, I'd be looking for a fresh face.

I guess if Roadster's quarter-cracks are miraculously behind him, there's no reason that he can't drop in class and continue to run at some level.

Owendale's magic has faded. This is only his 2nd race of 2021, so it's not like he's been heavily on the program and just getting a tolerance to the medication and training methods. He's lost a step, and dissapointed yesterday given a golden opportunity.

Chess Chief or whoever won did a nice job of finishing to pass the hanging leaders. With a nicely timed and hard-driven ride by whichever one of the good jocks in the race happened to be aboard (can't remember).

was an ok name race of older horses with some jockey rides, but not a serious stakes
Old 03-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
always an ounce of apprehension that Cox will rejuvinate the stale Owendale, but should this group reassamble, I'd be looking for a fresh face.

I guess if Roadster's quarter-cracks are miraculously behind him, there's no reason that he can't drop in class and continue to run at some level.

Owendale's magic has faded. This is only his 2nd race of 2021, so it's not like he's been heavily on the program and just getting a tolerance to the medication and training methods. He's lost a step, and dissapointed yesterday given a golden opportunity.

Chess Chief or whoever won did a nice job of finishing to pass the hanging leaders. With a nicely timed and hard-driven ride by whichever one of the good jocks in the race happened to be aboard (can't remember).

was an ok name race of older horses with some jockey rides, but not a serious stakes
IMO, Owendale looks like the kind of horse that needs a very favorable pace set up or a track at least somewhat tilted towards closers to get it done. He has one run in him. If you use him early to get better position he won't finish well and if you use him late he'll typically only suck up for piece unless the race is falling apart.

If you told me before the race Chess Chief would be near the back of the pack and have to out finish a bunch of other similar horses in what appeared on paper to be a paceless race I wouldn't have liked him much. He saved some ground 1st turn and part of the 2nd turn, came out and finished well. Some of the others were wider. The race may have picked up in the middle

I think that's more of a Grade 3 group that would take turns beating each other depending on the ground loss and other trip issues.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-21-2021 at 12:42 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply