Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
captvancouver

help I wanna be a programmer

I have really enjoyed my introduction to horseracing handicapping. I don t know if I will ever be a good handicapper, but it is a great hobby,and I love thinking through the races. I do consider every race of the last 10 races(if shown) of each horse in every race,add up columns etc, and it takes me a long time to handicap a race.That s as far as I want to go, but I realize that other people would have good arguments for getting other data.

Now I am at the stage in my career where I want to write a software program, so I can download a bris pdf, and print out my data for that race,,,my headings will be horse #,ml, and all sorts of totals and data in a horses ppp .

I know, it may take a while to learn, but I am retired and like to learn.
Can anyone direct me as to any software programs that will make it easier to write such a program..do I still have to learn things like "c language" or cobalt or whatever ,,etc. etc. or is there a "user friendly" way to do it.I am thinking it must be a lot easier than it used to be,if I can get some direction from an old hand.I think most things can be learned, but I need a simple, step by step plan of action.
Thanks a lot for all your helpfulness, its a great forum .

Keith
captvancouver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Vegas711

I would recommend visual basic 6 , this is the language that I am beginning to learn. Several members of this board have posted that this is the language they use. Becouse it is a few years old you should find good deals on the software.Your local bookstore should have a number of books to select from.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:48 AM   #3
SmartArt
Huh?

Don't waste time learning how to program

Learn how to manage your money and bet.
SmartArt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas711
I would recommend visual basic 6 , this is the language that I am beginning to learn. Several members of this board have posted that this is the language they use. Becouse it is a few years old you should find good deals on the software.Your local bookstore should have a number of books to select from.

If you can find evn older versions better yet -- like QBasic. Very simple language. No fancy graphical user interface. All the commands are entered from the c:> prompt. Check out those old Dick Mitchell and Sartin programs. I don't know what language they used, but I kind of liked the user interface.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
osophy_junkie
Finish Line Profit

I would recommend python. It's easy to learn, includes a standard library for most operations, and is free.

http://diveintopython.org/toc/index.html is a good introduction.
osophy_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
If you can find evn older versions better yet -- like QBasic. Very simple language. No fancy graphical user interface. All the commands are entered from the c:> prompt. Check out those old Dick Mitchell and Sartin programs. I don't know what language they used, but I kind of liked the user interface.

Neat, John.
I'm looking to learn some programming. I used to write all my horse programs in regual basic, but now it's gone! Is Qbasic similar to the old vanilla brand?

ospohy...thanks for the link.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

Programming can be like learning to ride a bicycle. You likely started with a radio flyer wagon then a tricycle followed by a two wheeler with training wheels and after a while, you lose the training wheels. After that -- who knows -- mountain bikes, BMX, you tell me.

Programming is more than just learning a specific language. Yes, that's the job you've set for yourself but some languages do some things better than others. Some are easier to learn than others. Some require you to have some understanding of computer science concepts. Others expect that you're well versed with objects, object oriented programming. COBOL, C, Java, Visual BASIC, PHP, Python, etc., etc., etc., are good tools in specific area for certain jobs.

Short answer: BASIC was invented as a first programming language. It still serves that function. The danger with Visual BASIC (and a lot of other languages) is you also need to learn the development environment too. So, BASIC is a good place to start. It's just a matter of not getting too overwhelmed with all the stuff surrounding it. Some one else mentioned QBasic. As I recall that's a pretty simple setup to use and would likely be a very good starting point. You could then "graduate" to VB.

Long answer: go to a good bookstore and find the computer section. You should find lots of books about all different aspects of computers but there should be a section devoted to programming and programming languages. Use it as your reference library. Heck, almost all the stores in my area have nice comfortable chairs to use -- grab couple of titles and read some of them to get a feeling for the book. If it's too geeky or over your head, just move on to one that finally makes sense. A lot of times these books have a CD or a web site dedicated to the topic that contain source code. This can be invaluable since reading the code for a working program can teach you more than 1000's of words about it. And then there are other places on the internet devoted to the language with discussion boards and source code. Some are even tutorial in nature.

And lastly, there likely is a computer club or special interest group in your area for the language you want to master. Find these and see what they have to offer and remember, all those folks learned the language too -- they weren't born knowing it!

Good luck.

DJofSD
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by osophy_junkie
I would recommend python. It's easy to learn, includes a standard library for most operations, and is free.

http://diveintopython.org/toc/index.html is a good introduction.
Let me throw another one on the pile that is fairly easy to learn with strong string handling (like Python and basic) and IMHO a little bit cleaner than Python. That would be Ruby.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

Cost is about the same as Python.

Bill
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Tom: QBASIC is an enhanced version of the old 1970's BASIC. It's a more intelligent user-friendly version. If you know how to use BASIC, you'll pick up QBASIC quickly. It has a built in help file and there are a lot of resources on the net.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Neat, John.
I'm looking to learn some programming. I used to write all my horse programs in regual basic, but now it's gone! Is Qbasic similar to the old vanilla brand?

I think I have an old floppy drive with QBasic on it. I'll dig it out and send it to you.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartArt
Learn how to manage your money and bet.
I am with Art on this one.

Let me ask you a few questions. These come from observing the best programmers I know:

1. Would you like staying up until dawn to find a minor error in a document that is 500 pages?

2. Are you absolutely anal when it comes to details? Things must be right!!!

3. Do you mind working for a year straight 4-5 days a week to learn to program well enough so that you can do what is mentioned in question 1 and 2 ?

If so..........go for it. These are the traits of some of the best programmers I know...........and I softened it up for you.............
Old 10-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #12
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I am with Art on this one.

Let me ask you a few questions. These come from observing the best programmers I know:

1. Would you like staying up until dawn to find a minor error in a document that is 500 pages?

2. Are you absolutely anal when it comes to details? Things must be right!!!

3. Do you mind working for a year straight 4-5 days a week to learn to program well enough so that you can do what is mentioned in question 1 and 2 ?

If so..........go for it. These are the traits of some of the best programmers I know...........and I softened it up for you.............
Yep. Ralph's right.

If I didn't program I'd use the stuff from Brohammer's book. I think I made more money when I did things manually. There's something about "feeling" the past performances and result charts.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Boy, Ralph....downer!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Neat, John.

Tom,

I found the disk. I've zipped the QBASIC program. Added some other goodies, too.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

John
Old 10-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Programming

I really suggest you look at Liberty Basic. Very easy to learn and it produces windows programs. It has a tool that lets you visually create a window screen and then writes the code and outline for you. You just copy and paste.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply