Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #91
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
So, again, who is going to be around to observe anything? The planet will have died. How do you know atomic clocks will survive? What kind of catastrophe do you think atomic clocks wold survive if the earth stood still?
You are out of your mind. When I say we do not need a planet to stop to prove time does not stop, when a planet stops,

I an saying........

hint: the planet and us need not BE DESTROYED.

We have other means to test your ridiculous assertions

Atomic clocks moving at varying speeds on airplanes, satellites and standing still (as best as possible) in space, demonstrates time continues at the same rate. Time SLOWS only at relativistic speeds as shown in particle accelerators

This is a well established fact. Do you need to jump off a roof to know you will be seriously hurt, or do you have evidence gathered from observable laws of nature.

Of course if you had a basic scientific education you might know these things

Last edited by hcap; 04-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #92
thaskalos

Quote:
Oh....so you think God would supernaturally intervene this time?

And by the way, the bible text re Joshua and the sun doesn't say that the earth stood still. Learn to read.
My mistake. I forgot about your God's geocentric beliefs.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #93
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Time ends for YOU when you die, ...
Does that mean I shouldn't have bothered making out a will? Does it mean I should not keep paying the premiums on my life insurance?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #94
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yes, of course you want me to "drop it" because you have nowhere to go. But the irrefutable fact is that Time would cease to exist for this planet because no one would be around to witness Time. Hard concept to grasp, heh?
Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation
Old 04-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #95
Actor
Librocubicularist

[quote=boxcar;2450584]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Take our resident scientist, for example. He believes the universe is eternal.

I, on the other hand, do understand the universe is finite -- had a beginning and will have an end.
I think the universe is finite but unbounded.

Take the surface of a sphere (e.g., the earth). Its area is finite, about 200 million square miles. But it has not boundary, no edge.

That's a two dimensional example. Expand that concept to four dimensions: x,y,z and time. If you travel far enough along the x dimension you will arrive back at your starting place. Likewise, if you could live forever you would eventually come to the past.

Whether this theory is true is a current field of study in cosmology.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #96
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Hi, Boxcar, calling Spongey Bob do you read me? If so, here's a clue: Books are tangible too. Ask any scientist. Or if you're too embarrassed, feel free to consult a dictionary privately in your safe space.

Also, the universe must be finite because if it were eternal, it would be impossible for any of its parts to go in and out of existence, since whatever is eternal in its essence cannot change -- has no potential for change, such as a sun running out of fuel and going to the dark side on us, etc. Whatever is eternal must be pure existence, having no potential for change. For if it had such potential, it could potentially cease to exist.

Have a nice day.
You've read one book a thousand times, I've read a thousand books one at a time (and plenty of books more than once).

I've also written two books, one out of print and one available as an e-book on Amazon.

You come up with these analyses that are quite strange. The universe is expanding, and we don't know if that is what will happen perpetually, or if the expansion stops and the contraction starts to occur. We don't really have a definitive theory as to what happens in a billion or a trillion years. We may be eternal, maybe we aren't but the sun and every sun does not have unlimited fuel.

I think Actor may have spent some time on that, but we know the universe is matter and energy. In physics, mass–energy equivalence states that anything having mass has an equivalent amount of energy and vice versa, with these fundamental quantities directly relating to one another by Albert Einstein's famous formula: E=mc2.

From the beginning it was clear this was over your head. We are mass and energy and eventually just energy. Learn Einsteins formula and it all makes sense. The rest of your post is just crap you dreamed up. We can't do more to explain it than we already have. It's up to you to get it.

In your book heaven is eternal. I'm not sure it says the universe has a fixed life. That leaves the potential of an eternal universe.

I'm going to ask you a question. If you don't answer I think there should be a penalty. Simple question. Do you personally know Ken Ham?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #97
hcap

Quote:
So, again, who is going to be around to observe anything? The planet will have died. How do you know atomic clocks will survive? What kind of catastrophe do you think atomic clocks wold survive if the earth stood still?
When man gathers evidence speculation starts to tun into generalized "laws". After much thought, mathematics comes into play. Practical applications are often used in real world, enabling further understanding.

We know what happens to time as objects move at varying velocipedes based on practically tested theories. Albert Einstein in 1905 published his Special Theory of Relativity.
Quote:
"This work considered time not as a single constantly flowing entity, but as part of a much more complex system, linked with that of space itself. This is called space-time. Relativity states that any moving clock slows down relative to a stationary observer. There are of course many different types of clock, such as digital watches, clockwork clocks, atomic clocks and even our own biological clocks but they are all equally affected by the same principle, namely: moving clocks run more slowly."
So instead of time stopping when an object moves at zero or stops, time moves faster than at very high speeds.

However it is not until we travel at speeds close to the speed of light that the effect becomes noticeable. The speed of light is very close to 300,000 km per second (186,300 miles per second). At speeds very close to that of light the effect grows in magnitude very rapidly until time almost comes almost to a standstill. This slowing down of clocks due to high speeds is called time dilation and has a precise mathematical relationship.

The equation for time dilation is:

So wee can generalize

There is absolutely no need to stop and destroy the earth in order to get a solid answer to what happens to time when the earth stops

Last edited by hcap; 04-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #98
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
When man gathers evidence speculation starts to tun into generalized "laws". After much thought, mathematics comes into play. Practical applications are often used in real world, enabling further understanding.

We know what happens to time as objects move at varying velocipedes based on practically tested theories. Albert Einstein in 1905 published his Special Theory of Relativity.So instead of time stopping when an object moves at zero or stops, time moves faster than at very high speeds.

However it is not until we travel at speeds close to the speed of light that the effect becomes noticeable. The speed of light is very close to 300,000 km per second (186,300 miles per second). At speeds very close to that of light the effect grows in magnitude very rapidly until time almost comes almost to a standstill. This slowing down of clocks due to high speeds is called time dilation and has a precise mathematical relationship.

The equation for time dilation is:

So wee can generalize

There is absolutely no need to stop and destroy the earth in order to get a solid answer to what happens to time when the earth stops
Humpty, Humpty...but the earth will be destroyed! It will not be able to support life. It would be a DEAD planet. And when things die, Time dies with them! But thanks for your long non sequitur.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #99
hcap

Quote:
Humpty, Humpty...but the earth will be destroyed! It will not be able to support life. It would be a DEAD planet. And when things die, Time dies with them! But thanks for your long non sequitur.
Total nonsense on so many levels. Must I quote your ordinal nonsense again?
Quote:
See what happens to Time if the earth were to stand still!
No mention of our subjective experience with time. Only an substantiated proclamation that time stops when the earth stops.

Get one of these so wherever we point out the flaws in your silly arguments, you need only post it so we know you are using your usual method of diversion and obfuscation

Last edited by hcap; 04-12-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #100
boxcar

Quote:
Total nonsense on so many levels. Must I quote your ordinal nonsense again?
No mention of our subjective experience with time. Only an substantiated proclamation that time stops when the earth stops.

Get one of these so wherever we point out the flaws in your silly arguments, you need only post it so we know you are using your usual method of diversion and obfuscation
Time would stop because all consciousness would stop. Time would stop for everyone on this planet. And that's not a subjective truth -- it's objective! When you kick the bucket, time will stop for you. Another objective truth.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #101
hcap

Quote:
Time would stop because all consciousness would stop. Time would stop for everyone on this planet. And that's not a subjective truth -- it's objective! When you kick the bucket, time will stop for you. Another objective truth. :offee:
This started with you posting a continuation of your absurd ass backwards time theory. Now that it has been shown to be wrong in so many ways, you move the playing field and set up new set of goalposts about in order for time to exist, we humans on earth all must be conscious of time.

Does that mean time does not exist in the void of space, on other planets, the sum, the rest of the cosmos?

And does that require all of us on earth to view time as ass backwards as you?

Last edited by hcap; 04-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #102
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Time would stop because all consciousness would stop. Time would stop for everyone on this planet. And that's not a subjective truth -- it's objective! When you kick the bucket, time will stop for you. Another objective truth.
So you actually do know Ken Ham. I thought so.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #103
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
So you actually do know Ken Ham. I thought so.
Not nearly as well as I know God.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #104
boxcar

Quote:
This started with you posting a continuation of your absurd ass backwards time theory. Now that it has been shown to be wrong in so many ways, you move the playing field and set up new set of goalposts about in order for time to exist, we humans on earth all must be conscious of time.

Does that mean time does not exist in the void of space, on other planets, the sum, the rest of the cosmos?

And does that require all of us on earth to view time as ass backwards as you?
If the earth stopped dead in its tracks, the only thing anyone would be required to do is die.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #105
hcap

Quote:
If the earth stopped dead in its tracks, the only thing anyone would be required to do is die.
At least it would shut you up.

Oh, how far you have strayed from your ass backwards time theory claiming the future precedes the present.

Guess being wrong so many times is getting to you.