Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #211
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
You could snap your fingers before you send monetary aid or donate food to feed a child. Myself, I give to food for the poor, but I generally don't snap my fingers.

You understood my point.

This conversation is pointless...and ended.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #212
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
You understood my point.

This conversation is pointless...and ended.
What is your point? My point is God works through man and man's free will. Is that your point too?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 04-16-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #213
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
No, Boxcar...I don't "know" about any of that. I do know that these things were written up in some ancient documents by some anonymous Israeli nomads...but I'm not willing to accept ANYTHING that I read as actual fact. I take as facts only the things that I can actually verify for myself. And, even if I did actually believe what is written in the bible, and I saw that God plays favorites among his creations...then I would have the same questions about his "divinity" as I do now. You can't have "chosen people"...and then demand reverence and worship from the world at large.
But you know all about the miracle of the manna God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness. The "Israeli nomads" factor didn't seem to enter your mind

As I said just very recently, if you want God to treat everyone fairly, then His holy and righteous nature would require him to give everyone what they rightly deserve -- justice. That would be just and fair of God. But God's grace does not require Him to have compassion or mercy toward anyone, since all are sinners -- all God's creation is under His curse.

Rom 9:15
15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
NASB
Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #214
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
And created man in his image.

Our father which art in heaven...give us this day our daily bread...

Why do you revere a father who withholds bread from his children?
Who told you that all in the world are his children? From where did you get that notion?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #215
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
But you know all about the miracle of the manna God provided for the Israelites in the wilderness. The "Israeli nomads" factor didn't seem to enter your mind

As I said just very recently, if you want God to treat everyone fairly, then His holy and righteous nature would require him to give everyone what they rightly deserve -- justice. That would be just and fair of God. But God's grace does not require Him to have compassion or mercy toward anyone, since all are sinners -- all God's creation is under His curse.

Rom 9:15
15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
NASB
I understand you completely, Boxcar...it's you who doesn't understand me. I know that I am under God's curse. And, since he curses me...I feel justified in cursing him. Need I explain myself any further? How can I revere and worship someone who holds me under his curse? He created me as an imperfect human being, and then he curses me for my imperfections...and I am supposed to sing praises to his "divinity"?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #216
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
So, if 20,000 kids starve in the meantime, that wouldn't be considered too many? Why can't both avenues be pursued? Are they mutually exclusive to each other?
What are the two avenues? One seems to be that I impoverish myself and that will cure the problem? You are the one who gets this strategy from a holy book? Are you going to impoverish yourself too? If not, why not?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #217
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
What are the two avenues? One seems to be that I impoverish myself and that will cure the problem? You are the one who gets this strategy from a holy book? Are you going to impoverish yourself too? If not, why not?
You'll figure it out. Go back and read both our posts on the subject.

P.S. As much as I'd love to, I can't feed any starving children. I'm maxed out with other good and worthy causes.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #218
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How come God allows any evil in the world?
That's the Riddle of Epicurus.
  1. If God has the power to prevent evil but chooses not to then he is malevolent.
  2. If God wants to prevent evil be is powerless to do so then he is not omnipotent.
  3. If God has the power to prevent evil and wants to prevent evil then why is there evil.
  4. If God is powerless to prevent evil and chooses not to prevent evil then why call him God?
The obvious answer to the riddle is there is no god.

Last edited by Actor; 04-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #219
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
P.S. As much as I'd love to, I can't feed any starving children. I'm maxed out with other good and worthy causes.
So am I.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #220
thaskalos

Quote:
You'll figure it out. Go back and read both our posts on the subject.

That's exactly right. You are maxed-out with other worthwhile things...and so is everybody else. And the lives of these starving children are dependent upon the time-availability of busy people like us. A sorry state of affairs...IMO.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #221
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
That's the Riddle of Epicurus.
  1. If God has the power to prevent evil but chooses not to then he is malevolent.
  2. If God wants to prevent evil be is powerless to do so then he is not omnipotent.
  3. If God has the power to prevent evil and wants to prevent evil then why is there evil.
  4. If God is powerless to prevent evil and chooses not to prevent evil then why call him God?
The obvious answer to the riddle is there is no god.
The only person who was more misunderstood than Jesus, was Epicurus. This man was a hero...and his followers turned his teaching into the hedonistic claptrap that was the antithesis of what he was about.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #222
hcap

Sorry the distorted abrahamic god ouitside us not omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent or omnipresent. Contrary to what has been taught. The divine outside of us follows the laws of accident and partakes in the dance with the chaos and the negative

Rather the seed of higher mind within may have access to all of the above. Once again religious literal minded idol worshiper confuse of the inner for the outer.

“God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought."
.....― Joseph Campbell

I will add, both within and without.

There is no justice in a plaque or children starving and suffering on the outer realm. However there are plagues and sickness and suffering within and by observing honestly (omnipresent,and omniscient ) we can stem the damage (omnipotent) by having a handle on how not to give in to those afflictions and ignorance psychologically. Being a witness to those inner processes is taught in many Eastern traditions. Stillness allows a quiet voice to be heard. Not all at once, but neither does a mustard seed grow overnight.

Meditation and prayer help us listen in. Theoretical debates only do so much.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #223
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Sorry the distorted abrahamic god ouitside us not omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent or omnipresent. Contrary to what has been taught. The divine outside of us follows the laws of accident and partakes in the dance with the chaos and the negative

Rather the seed of higher mind within may have access to all of the above. Once again religious literal minded idol worshiper confuse of the inner for the outer.

“God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought."
.....― Joseph Campbell

I will add, both within and without.

There is no justice in a plaque or children starving and suffering on the outer realm. However there are plagues and sickness and suffering within and by observing honestly (omnipresent,and omniscient ) we can stem the damage (omnipotent) by having a handle on how not to give in to those afflictions and ignorance psychologically. Being a witness to those inner processes is taught in many Eastern traditions. Stillness allows a quiet voice to be heard. Not all at once, but neither does a mustard seed grow overnight.

Meditation and prayer help us listen in. Theoretical debates only do so much.
Be careful TJ will accuse you of obfuscating.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #224
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Hey...if you want to whitewash Christianity to make it more appealing to you, have it. People have been doing that for centuries.
The term I used to describe Boxcar's posts in the religion threads is "blackwashing", which means that superficially he claims to be supporting Christianity, but in reality (as Thask has pointed out) he's driving people away from the faith with his underlying message of insane dogma. Anyone with a shred of decency and wisdom is put off by his tone, regardless of their faith.

It's quite obvious to me that this is intentional by Boxcar.

The two mysteries that come to light over this are:
  • how does Boxcar outrank Thask in rep power (are upvotes for sale)?
  • why don't the moderators kick this obvious troll to the curb?
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #225
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
That's exactly right. You are maxed-out with other worthwhile things...and so is everybody else. And the lives of these starving children are dependent upon the time-availability of busy people like us. A sorry state of affairs...IMO.
So, you're maxed out, too, heh? And that's why you blame God -- because you're maxed out along with everyone else in world, including all the billionaires? So, God is obligated to pick up the slack? Is that deal?