Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-13-2023, 09:21 AM   #16
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Baffert is seething I bet
Should have been kicked out of racing years ago when he had all the sudden deaths. Now he's a human anchor on the industry
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #17
ubercapper

Of course anyone who watched it recoiled at the opening showing three incidents.

Otherwise, there was little which was not factual.

It wasn't a "hit piece" IMO which many suspected it would be.

I do wish they had mentioned (perhaps by talking to a veterinarian) why many horses can't be saved as well as distinguished the 12 deaths at Churchill Downs before the Derby as to possible heart attacks versus during a race, or even 12 deaths as compared to thousands or workouts and horses which raced over that period.

At least they mentioned that since HISA took effect in May, more than 30 trainers have been suspended.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #18
king kong

60 minutes

Where are the consumer protection laws and law suits vs the dopers?
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
anyone have the full link?
Old 11-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #20
mountainman

Having gained a bit of experience implementing hisa rules and policies, I can CERTAINLY attest that Mz Lazarus hit the mark in stating change will take time.

And not only because there are plenty of villains that need busting. HISA itself is a dense and unwieldy program shoved into existence without (and I’m being tactful here) adequate forethought.

And with respect to the formidable and well intentioned persons that designed this federal oversight , practical input from racing’s trenches should have been solicited.

I do dig the draconian penalties. Long overdue.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-13-2023 at 12:22 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 12:26 PM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
anyone have the full link?
I posted it later in this thread.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Industry handle is not being helped by the fact that we've had over 20% cumulative inflation over the last few years with higher borrowing costs on adjustable debt. Incomes are not coming even close to keeping up. A lot of people are being squeezed. The good news is that with all the monetary tightening, I thought the risk of a recession this year was a lot higher than average, but we've avoided it. Thankfully, I was wrong. Throw a recession on top of what's going on now and imo we'd be looking at a very rough year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
This industry is a mess on every possible level.

The economics suck for tracks, owners, and most people involved in the sport.

The gambling is getting more difficult.

Handle is declining again.

I think there are bigger economic storm clouds ahead.

I have zero competence in labeling the various current state of the market or various trends, and I don't follow the financial forecasts nor the labels of the current market states or trends in the media.

regardless of what definitions and check-lists are being met, and how things are being broadcast, it remains relatively simple even for a layman with no competencies in this area (referring to myself) to see that this scenario is clearly NOT a case of a strong thriving economy hiding imperfections in horse racing.

I don't know my elbow from my arse in this 'financial state' stuff.

Yet it is clear that the economy is in fact 'rough' already, and that Horse Racing already has a bunch of glaring fundamental problems.

At the same time we can guess 'WHAT-IFs' for negative scenarios such as the state of the economy labeled and echoed in the meaning with more negativity, and the financial repercussions of those events and labels.

I encourage you Classhandicapper, and others like you with actual competence in these areas to steer me in the right direction.

Horse Racing has such glaring long term fundamental problems that while Horse Racing isn't capable of pulling off a brilliant, magical; 'ANTIFRAGILE' cure&thrive, a lot of the potential changes (e.g. 'contraction') aren't as apocalyptic and demoralizing as it may be fun to dwell in.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I posted it later in this thread.
Quote:
thank you
Old 11-13-2023, 01:59 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Yet it is clear that the economy is in fact 'rough' already, and that Horse Racing already has a bunch of glaring fundamental problems.
There are a number of macro factors weighing on racing right now over and above competition from sports betting and other long term trends. But take a look at what happened to industry handle during the last serious recession in 2008. It was a disaster.

Racing held up a little better during Covid because people were getting checks from the government and for awhile the competition was thinned, but another recession is inevitable. Handle could take a serious hit for a couple of years all while these higher inflation related costs remain.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:17 PM   #25
Robert Fischer
clean money

some propaganda/spins I noticed

- Implied that steps are being taken to solve the problems.

- Took a stance that 'villains' are the ones responsible for and doing the cheating rather than a highly saturated overwhelmed systemic thing.

- Implied that horse deaths are a fixable/preventable thing. That's good feels for the casuals who may feel better that we are now magically going to stop horses from dying. It's bad in the sense that it avoids the reality of horse deaths. I'm not some propaganda expert, I don't know if it's just better to tell the public that we are working to stop horse deaths and that when they happen to occur it's an extrinsic fault.

these are just comments from me on spins/propaganda that I noticed.

This is NOT meant to be my commentary or opinion of the actual realities of what I see in the game or in the politics involving HISA.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have called for federal oversight here for years.
HISA is long overdue.

Why?
Because the industry just ain;t getting the job done.

If HISA is a problem for any track or anyone, don't let door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Baffert - so many drug "events."
Is hje a crook or just an idiot?
If theses are a "errors" he needs to clean up his sloppy shop or retire.

Racing needs to have a govnt mandated operating system like the ISO standards that
each track/trainer must conform too or lose the right to operate.

Racing hjandles far to much monry to be allowed to opate like farmer John's ranch.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #27
1st time lasix

Until handicappers do not have to look at the trainers stats off claims and when improved horses moved to their “hot” barn…. Or when we no longer see two years olds massively built like four years olds….. then I will remain skeptical that anything meaningful is being done. The performance enhancing problem is obviously across the board. Maybe not everyone is doing it…..but far, far more than being caught and reported on currently. The pinhookers use steroids and growth hormone because they want to sell at profit. Many owners simply turn a blind eye…. Trainers and vets are getting their financial inducement incentives. Etc etc. The Sixty minutes piece was mostly old news to anyone who follows the industry. ( Servis and Navarro) I am surprised their hasn’t been any more big players been called out. But sadly….. I have little faith they will. Will see.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #28
Bustin Stones

What I'm reading here is that 60 Minutes didn't do any real investigative reporting on the issue. And the responses to their questions were calculated, face saving and image preserving.
Don't you wonder how many other stories over the years that they covered were great looking from the outside, but meaningless to the insiders?
60 Minutes wants to appear to be truth seeking, but it's just shallow finger pointing designed to entertain the casual viewer.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 08:20 AM   #29
mountainman

Speaking from actual hands-on experience, Hisa makes Hillary Care look like a sleek, well-oiled model of efficiency.

And when dealing with various forms and incarnations of well-intentioned authority, this AIN'T my first rodeo.

I am not expressing mere theory, I see (and hear of) MUCH that happens behind the scenes.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-14-2023 at 08:24 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #30
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I got a close-up look at it this summer. I'm doubtful that the alleged benefits to 'the industry' will materialize as imagined.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply