Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-03-2023, 11:19 AM   #16
tucker6

How ironic that the king of laid back beach music died of skin cancer.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

Enjoyed some of his songs.

I remember my father's girlfriend was a huge fan. I don't know if she was a 'Parrot Head'? or not but pretty sure she'd been to a show and managed to play Margaritaville several f***ing dozen or so times when enticing pops to spend a weekend by her pool having margaritas between beers.

They were good friends and although kids always long for their birth parents to stay together (and due to my and my mother's health condition, my father never formally divorced as to keep us medically insured ) a greedy side of mine wouldn't have minded if he married the lady. Apparently she was related to a local furniture magnate and happened to work librarian at one of his first math dept head schools. Inheritance is so overrated...
sometimes anyways...

also learned from the wiki entry that Jimmy had an album called 'A1A'.

I have a couple A1A stories that I'll bore you with if you feel compelled to read on by interest, margarita, or caffeine or you just want to know more about a crazy old horseplayer whose opinions annoy you in the racing sections.

my mother had died a traumatic death and I left my biochem major and drove to daytona beach with $800. I was crushed to learn that it was NOTHING like 'MTV SPRING BREAK', so I picked up a construction job and some gray area dealings and moved my way up a cheap motel and into a peaceful mental health place, beach bum wise.

And I lived on A1A.
I had fairly plain Nissan Altima at the time and the one feature it had was a "heads up display". - Meaning you could see your speed and signals in in a holographic window roughly above the actual speedometer. No big deal, but thought it was cool to see featured in one of these recent netflix street racer movies.
Anyway I got a chip in the windshield. Was fine for a while but got pulled over (on A1A). Quandry = replace with relatively cheap new windshield (which wouldn't work for the 'heads up display', or fork out a sum way beyond the type of income I earned in construction.

Tryed saving for a while. Stayed off of A1A and only drove backroads were police were less likely to frequent housing areas as opposed to the main drag.

Girlfriend would walk to my motel pretty much every day to meet me after work. Couldn't complain. We had a nice time and then I can tell she's exhausted. She asks me to drive her home. I felt like $1,000,000 so "OF course! No problem!"

Sure thing a police car swings behind us. Likely was mildly surveilling me.
He pulls us over and approaches the window, and she was so genuinely sorry for having me drive her, SHE BURSTS INTO TEARS!!
Cop jacks me out of the car and up against the vehicle. Throws on cuffs and everything, talks to her privately for a moment and lets me go.

Tells me "Sorry, you fit the description of a car theft up the street" (yea 6'9" thieves abound sure) and he forgets to even mention the windshield

(ended up replacing it w/ generic windshield to save the drama anyway)

Other , briefer A1A story
daughter's christening was early am in Miami, so I don't remember maybe left daytona at 4am to get there early and have breakfast etc...
Motel's overflow parking was across the street in a bar lot.
Police tail me from lot to the gas station where I fill up.
Approached me, sniffed me , like comically, obscenely sniffing me as if my odor was something between axe body spray and the fountain of youth.
Apparently Columbo had assumed that a 4am exit of the bar lot = drunk driver.
Then frustrated, he gives me a seatbelt ticket.
(the other feature of that altima was automatic seatbelts)

I'd guess manny have Jimmy Buffett stories and memories

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 09-03-2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: sorry TLDR
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #18
1st time lasix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Enjoyed some of his songs.

I remember my father's girlfriend was a huge fan. I don't know if she was a 'Parrot Head'? or not but pretty sure she'd been to a show and managed to play Margaritaville several f***ing dozen or so times when enticing pops to spend a weekend by her pool having margaritas between beers.

They were good friends and although kids always long for their birth parents to stay together (and due to my and my mother's health condition, my father never formally divorced as to keep us medically insured ) a greedy side of mine wouldn't have minded if he married the lady. Apparently she was related to a local furniture magnate and happened to work librarian at one of his first math dept head schools. Inheritance is so overrated...
sometimes anyways...

also learned from the wiki entry that Jimmy had an album called 'A1A'.

I have a couple A1A stories that I'll bore you with if you feel compelled to read on by interest, margarita, or caffeine or you just want to know more about a crazy old horseplayer whose opinions annoy you in the racing sections.

my mother had died a traumatic death and I left my biochem major and drove to daytona beach with $800. I was crushed to learn that it was NOTHING like 'MTV SPRING BREAK', so I picked up a construction job and some gray area dealings and moved my way up a cheap motel and into a peaceful mental health place, beach bum wise.

And I lived on A1A.
I had fairly plain Nissan Altima at the time and the one feature it had was a "heads up display". - Meaning you could see your speed and signals in in a holographic window roughly above the actual speedometer. No big deal, but thought it was cool to see featured in one of these recent netflix street racer movies.
Anyway I got a chip in the windshield. Was fine for a while but got pulled over (on A1A). Quandry = replace with relatively cheap new windshield (which wouldn't work for the 'heads up display', or fork out a sum way beyond the type of income I earned in construction.

Tryed saving for a while. Stayed off of A1A and only drove backroads were police were less likely to frequent housing areas as opposed to the main drag.

Girlfriend would walk to my motel pretty much every day to meet me after work. Couldn't complain. We had a nice time and then I can tell she's exhausted. She asks me to drive her home. I felt like $1,000,000 so "OF course! No problem!"

Sure thing a police car swings behind us. Likely was mildly surveilling me.
He pulls us over and approaches the window, and she was so genuinely sorry for having me drive her, SHE BURSTS INTO TEARS!!
Cop jacks me out of the car and up against the vehicle. Throws on cuffs and everything, talks to her privately for a moment and lets me go.

Tells me "Sorry, you fit the description of a car theft up the street" (yea 6'9" thieves abound sure) and he forgets to even mention the windshield

(ended up replacing it w/ generic windshield to save the drama anyway)

Other , briefer A1A story
daughter's christening was early am in Miami, so I don't remember maybe left daytona at 4am to get there early and have breakfast etc...
Motel's overflow parking was across the street in a bar lot.
Police tail me from lot to the gas station where I fill up.
Approached me, sniffed me , like comically, obscenely sniffing me as if my odor was something between axe body spray and the fountain of youth.
Apparently Columbo had assumed that a 4am exit of the bar lot = drunk driver.
Then frustrated, he gives me a seatbelt ticket.
(the other feature of that altima was automatic seatbelts)

I'd guess manny have Jimmy Buffett stories and memories
This American icon brought happiness to millions with his writing/singing/performance talents…. And you hijack the memorial thread with pure babble about yourself….. it’s “all about you.” Pathetic!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2023, 10:21 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Old 09-03-2023, 10:40 PM   #20
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
This American icon brought happiness to millions with his writing/singing/performance talents…. And you hijack the memorial thread with pure babble about yourself….. it’s “all about you.” Pathetic!
Lighten up Francis
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2023, 02:37 AM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
There are tons of Buffett stories coming out over the last few days. Hell of a guy it seems.

Paul McCartney flying in to visit him on his deathbed, hell of a story.

I would think that anybody who dies with as much adulation and down right reverence that JB is receiving on his passing would have to be a hell of a person.

Radio Margaritaville taking calls from people all over the world crying their eyes out…

Last edited by JustRalph; 09-04-2023 at 02:42 AM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2023, 05:54 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
thanks for the wake up call