Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #16
Rick

Well, track management probably responds to whoever makes the most noise. If that turns out to be horsemen who own or train closers in the future, well then that's the way the track will be. I think it's more of an economics thing than a tradition thing in the long run. But. you're right, I don't see it changing any time soon.

It's really funny though when they run a really big feature race and the track bias changes to be the opposite of what normally prevails just because there is some really famous horse running. Churchill Downs is probably the worst about that kind of thing. Although I've won enough Kentucky Derbys to show a profit, the other races that day are always WAY more profitable.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #17
kenwoodallpromos

"How in the world would track people FAVOR a style that is, among other things, physiologically not as dominant by any surface change??"
I suppose one could argue that by a slight degree a slow rail could slow the leader down and favor horses going wide, which is what I have found occasionally at Tampa Bay; If there were to be actual slow stretch that may favor closers, but I hbave no statistics on either so on my part it is pure speculation.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:08 AM   #18
46zilzal
velocitician

wide not late

a horse simply going wide is not particularly a LATE running horse
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
closers by look are not closers by energy distibtuion and those of the latter variety are not in the circle at the end as often as they should be.

THREE major reasons off pacers don't win as often as they do.
1) rider has to move at just the right time
2) speed up front has to be kind to this one's style and the rider NEVER has a thing to do with that so it is always an estimation at best. if a pace type is left alone they slow it down and will not get caught usually.
3) has to get through traffic

How in the world would track people FAVOR a style that is, among other things, physiologically not as dominant by any surface change??
Good example of this yesterday at Finger Lakes - Naughty New Yorker, big favorite who comes from downtown got to the wire third-doomed by his late running style. How they made this horse less than even money is beyond me - he always gets there late. I find very few third fraction horses win races - unless they start their move in the second fraction.
But I love betting against them.