Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Andy Dalton unceremoniously dropped

Putting all your eggs in one basket with the new young QB? that is risky
Old 05-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
rispa

How many Super Bowls and/or Conference titles did they win with Andy Dalton as their starting quarterback? Its called on the job training.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
CheckMark

That's so stupid of the Bengals. The backups are Ryan Finley and Jacob Dolegala, which Finley hasn't taken a snap since his pickup in the draft last year (2019) and Dolegala did start in preseason. Good luck to the Bengals as they f***ed themselves over with 3 Quarterbacks that haven't started in the NFL.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
That's so stupid of the Bengals. The backups are Ryan Finley and Jacob Dolegala, which Finley hasn't taken a snap since his pickup in the draft last year (2019) and Dolegala did start in preseason. Good luck to the Bengals as they f***ed themselves over with 3 Quarterbacks that haven't started in the NFL.

It is a salary cap move. If he isn't going to play, you can't pay him what he was going to make to be the back up.

Dalton never won a playoff game, let alone an AFC Title or Super Bowl. He's a serviceable backup at this point, not much else.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
woodbinepmi

His numbers dropped after he hurt his hand and the talent started getting old on that team. You can't blame him for the Steelers loss when his defence decided to go convict and started trying hurt players. Would love to have him as the backup in Kansas City, just don't know if he can fit into the budget.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Frost king

He will end up in New England
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post

Finley started a few games for Cinncinatti after the Bengals started 0-8.When they didn't get better, Dalton started the last few games.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
HHE10
BANNED

Maybe if the whole "one year wonder" Joe Burrow doesn't do as well as everyone thought he would be, maybe Cam Newton finds a home

Im just happy my LA Chargers drafted Justin Herbert

Last edited by HHE10; 05-01-2020 at 06:26 PM.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Joe Burrow is an exciting prospect. I tried to look at some of his highlights, and I don't see a lot of negatives.

He won't have dominant protection w/ Cincinnati. NFL defenders are bigger/stronger/faster. He won't have 'hitter's counts' as often.

The potential is there, if they can give him a modern NFL offense, and opportunities to perform within a mobile-pocket. Should be a fun player to watch.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
woodbinepmi

Burrow had the best line in college football and it debatable that he also had the best wide outs too. He doesn't have a rocket for an arm but you really don't need that if you are as accurate as he is, but the one thing that I have noticed watching him very closely is his line of sight stays downfield when the pocket collapses. He is a very smart boy, he graduated very early out of Ohio State and comes from a family with a father that was a college coach, so he should be able to learn the thick playbook rather quickly. We will see if he can handle losing for a while and avoid the arrows when D coordinators blitz him from every angle on almost every throwing down. Hopefully, Cincinnati gets smart and builds an offensive line first to protect him.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Burrow had the best line in college football and it debatable that he also had the best wide outs too. He doesn't have a rocket for an arm but you really don't need that if you are as accurate as he is, but the one thing that I have noticed watching him very closely is his line of sight stays downfield when the pocket collapses. He is a very smart boy, he graduated very early out of Ohio State and comes from a family with a father that was a college coach, so he should be able to learn the thick playbook rather quickly. We will see if he can handle losing for a while and avoid the arrows when D coordinators blitz him from every angle on almost every throwing down. Hopefully, Cincinnati gets smart and builds an offensive line first to protect him.
He does a great job at that.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
NFL defenders are bigger/stronger/faster.
Than what?

Check out the recent draft...nearly all of the first two round picks played at Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, LSU itself, Ohio State, a few other power players at the highest level. I don't think Burrow will have a problem adjusting to the pro level. That observation might be more relevant to a Jordan Love or a Ben DiNucci, but not Burrow.

Dalton was going to make way more than he's worth. Good luck to him, I'll be watching with interest how he does with a new team. But I'm More Than Ready for a new regime.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Than what?

Check out the recent draft...nearly all of the first two round picks played at Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, LSU itself, Ohio State, a few other power players at the highest level. I don't think Burrow will have a problem adjusting to the pro level. That observation might be more relevant to a Jordan Love or a Ben DiNucci, but not Burrow.

Maybe you're right, and the schedule that he faced in college featured NFL-level pass-rushers.
That seems counter-intuitive, but I don't know enough to have an opinion on that. I'll take your word for it. Getting warmed up for some races, and this was more of a fun tangent than something I want to put more work into.

the "Than what?" part comes from my assessment of the defenders that he evaded during a brief highlight film that I watched. I stand by that opinion. Many of those specific players, were not quite the match of their NFL counterparts.

I don't think 'level of defenders' is some make-or-break thing. I'm simply mentioning it, along with some other factors like O-line competence, and down-and-distance situational opportunities, as some upcoming environmental changes. I've seen one superhero highlight film of the guy, and everything went well. For all I know he could be the Michael Jordan of the NFL for the next 15 years, but I offered my 'take'.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
He will end up in New England
The pats have 1.8 mil in cap space and they still have to pay their draft picks.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
The pats have 1.8 mil in cap space and they still have to pay their draft picks.
I find that weird that they only have 1.8 in cap space, even if Tom Brady left and others too.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply