Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
NoCal Boy

Wouldn't Jess Jackson already have announced if Rachel will not run?

Jess Jackson loves the sport. If he intended on not running Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont, would he wait until Monday of Belmont week to announce his decision, thereby disappointing nearly everyone in the industry? The Belmont is 1 1/2 miles. He knew that after the Preakness win. He knows this would be the filly's 3rd race in 5 weeks. All of this is a given, yet he has not announced a decision. I believe he will run the filly as long as she works out fine on Monday. To announce otherwise if the filly does indeed work out fine on Monday, would seriously disappoint many interested in this industry from casual fans to serious industry-types. Would Jess Jackson do this to the industry if he intended all along not to run in the Belmont? I doubt it.

Does this make sense to anyone other than me?
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I agree. He had every opportunity after Monday's work to say she wasn't going.

I thought last week that she wasn't going. Now I'm convinced she is going to run, barring any last minute setback.

I also think that perhaps Jackson is giving the owners of MTB a bit of "the business" because of what they publicly tried to do before the Preakness (namely, float the idea of stuffing the gate to keep Rachel out).

Jackson is stringing them along, keeping their jock assignment up in the air until the last possible moment...good for him I say...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Nothing surprises me anymore in this industry . I certainly hope she goes but I have my doubts .
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I agree. He had every opportunity after Monday's work to say she wasn't going.

I thought last week that she wasn't going. Now I'm convinced she is going to run, barring any last minute setback.

I also think that perhaps Jackson is giving the owners of MTB a bit of "the business" because of what they publicly tried to do before the Preakness (namely, float the idea of stuffing the gate to keep Rachel out).

Jackson is stringing them along, keeping their jock assignment up in the air until the last possible moment...good for him I say...
I agree on all counts....there has been a lot of speculation on why Jackson may be waiting and I wasnt convinced he was doing it on purpose. However, what you say about gioving the MTB owners "the business" makes perfect sense.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Then again, he could also be "giving the business" with absolutely no intention of running...that scenario works as well...

But as of now, I think she is running.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
matthewsiv

Cool

His ego will make him run her,whether she is ready or not.

He has nothing to lose,some people thought that she would bounce after the Oaks.

Then she WON the Preakness (Beat the Boys!) and had a very hard race.

So if she gets beat in the Belmont (she bounced or did not get the 1.5 miles) and he has lost nothing because she already won the Preakness.

If she wins,he looks incredibly clever and everyone will be saying that she is a triple crown winner of sorts and would have won the Kentucky Derby if she had been entered.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiv
His ego will make him run her,whether she is ready or not.

He has nothing to lose,some people thought that she would bounce after the Oaks.

Then she WON the Preakness (Beat the Boys!) and had a very hard race.

So if she gets beat in the Belmont (she bounced or did not get the 1.5 miles) and he has lost nothing because she already won the Preakness.

If she wins,he looks incredibly clever and everyone will be saying that she is a triple crown winner of sorts and would have won the Kentucky Derby if she had been entered.
An I missing something regarding Jess Jackson and his "ego"? I hear people take shots at him but I cant seem to figure out what he has done to deserve it....compared to some other high profile owners the last few years, he seems to be fine and by continuing to run Curlin and by buying RA, has given us all a ton to talk about.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
matthewsiv

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
An I missing something regarding Jess Jackson and his "ego"? I hear people take shots at him but I cant seem to figure out what he has done to deserve it....compared to some other high profile owners the last few years, he seems to be fine and by continuing to run Curlin and by buying RA, has given us all a ton to talk about.
If he did not have an ego,he would have declared his intentions before now on whether RA runs or not.

He loves to be seen in the thick of it all.

Every advert for his wine there is a picture of him.

I have nothing against him and in many ways he has been very good for the industry and I hope that he continues.

This is just my personal opinion.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
lamboguy

since when is the owner going to make a decision on where to enter a horse?

why would jess jackson pay steve assmussen to train the horse if he was going to make all the decisions?

i think she will run, they don't have to say anything until its time to enter.

the window's in the las vegas books remain open. maybe someone wants to make sure that she is going to run before plunking down their money @3-1.

she will never be 3-1 at the mutual windows the day of the race, more like 7-5 or less.

after that less than stellar ride in the preakness, the only ones that know how good she really is are her connections and the horse. as far as i know the horse ain't talking.

Last edited by lamboguy; 05-28-2009 at 08:57 PM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiv
If he did not have an ego,he would have declared his intentions before now on whether RA runs or not.

He loves to be seen in the thick of it all.

Every advert for his wine there is a picture of him.

I have nothing against him and in many ways he has been very good for the industry and I hope that he continues.

This is just my personal opinion.

Gotcha....I wasnt disagreeing with you as much as seeing if I had missed something. I guess most guys who have made a lot of dough tend to have egos. As far as the intentions go, my two cents is that he really wants to run and Asmussen doesnt and that is what is taking so long....as with most other takes on it, just a guess and there is probably lots going on behind the scenes none of us know about..
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy

why would jess jackson pay steve assmussen to train the horse if he was going to make all the decisions?
Because he doesn't want to get up that early every morning?
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
slew101

I think he just enjoys the media attention. I don't think he has any intention of running. Might even come up with a bogus excuse to keep her out, saying "we were going to run but.."
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
Just since the beginning of time ...
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
CincyHorseplayer

God forbid he might be waiting on an answer from the horse.

What an apostasy!!Strangle neck and die!!

The thing that could not be=a conscientious human being.What a crock...

Isn't this the bleeding heart mentality that has been awaited or is it a smoke screen for more or less sinister intentions??

It's his call.I don't think the drama is any less than...I don't know??
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
Mineshaft
Veteran

Isnt this the 2nd work since the Preakness for RA? if they are working her again they plan on running her plain and simple. That would be 3 races in 5 weeks plus at least 3 official works since the KY Derby plus gallops. So much for giving her a little break.

Personally i think there squeezing the lemon dry if they run her.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply