Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
schweitz

Wagering on Texas tracks from Texas.

Anybody know what ADW's allow you to wager on Texas tracks from Texas?
schweitz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
Anybody know what ADW's allow you to wager on Texas tracks from Texas?
Twinspires and PTC, for sure.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
schweitz

Thanks for responding---I use Twinspires and can not wager on Lone Star and was not able to wager on the most recent Retama meet. I tried to get a definite answer from PTC yesterday but was told to try back on Monday.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
facorsig

I have wagered on Retama from Texas in the past with PTC. Lone Star started some issues about intrastate wagering when they became part of Magna so their rules could differ.

Fred
facorsig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by facorsig
I have wagered on Retama from Texas in the past with PTC. Lone Star started some issues about intrastate wagering when they became part of Magna so their rules could differ.

Fred
It's up to the ADW, concerning wagering on Texas tracks by Texas residents, because, basically, Texas law, outlawing internet wagering of this type, is non-enforceable. BrisBet allowed it, then I was sent to BetPad and they allowed it, now I have been sent to TS and, as far as I know, they allow it.

BrisBet made a statement, when I questioned them before joining, that they would let Texas enforce it's on internet gambling laws. I assume this is the stance taken by the other ADWs that allow it.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
schweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
BrisBet allowed it, then I was sent to BetPad and they allowed it, now I have been sent to TS and, as far as I know, they allow it.
No--they don't--and thats my problem. I could wager on Retama and Sam Houston up until the switch to TwinSpires. I would really like to find an ADW that will let me wager on Lone Star.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
schweitz

Update---talked to PTC today and they do NOT take wagers for ANY Texas tracks from Texas residents. Talked to BetAmerica and they say they will allow wagering on Lone Star but not Retama!? I am going to sign up and see if this is so.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
NoCal Boy

Texas law does not provide for internet gambling on horse racing. However, since parimutuel wagering on horses across state lines is an interstate wager governed by the federal IHA, the ADWs will accept wagers on out of state racing since Texas does allow for parimutuel wagering in the state.

Wagering on Texas races by Texas residents is not an out of state wager governed by the federal IHA. It is arguably an intrastate wager (although the ADW hub is in oregon or other places) that would be covered by state law and not the federal IHA. For this likely reason, ADWs like TS, Youbet and others allow out of state wagering by Texas residents, but not intrastate wagering on Texas tracks.

It gets complicated from a legal persepctive.
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
lsbets

I just tried Bet America and was able to bet on Lonestar.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
schweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
I just tried Bet America and was able to bet on Lonestar.
Isn't it strange that they will take wagers on Lone Star but not Retama?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
Isn't it strange that they will take wagers on Lone Star but not Retama?
I've been in Texas 12 years now - I no longer think "isn't that strange" - lol.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Sundown

I don't think I've been able to wager on Texas tracks from any of the accounts I've held over the last few years, although I haven't tried lately.

What stops someone from registering at a friend's/relative's address out of state?
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I don't think I've been able to wager on Texas tracks from any of the accounts I've held over the last few years, although I haven't tried lately.

What stops someone from registering at a friend's/relative's address out of state?
If the ADW is really sincere, they can monitor the IP addresses and approximate your location.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
countryhotrod

TwinSpires does not allow Texas residents to wager on any Texas tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
TwinSpires requires proof of residence to sign up for an account. This is usually done through with an identity verification check through Equifax. If Equifax deems the registration address a valid one, the registration is complete. If Equifax fails an application then you have to send in proof of identity and residence in the form of a drivers license and a piece of mail coming to that address, plus social security information (if the Equifax fail indicates any issue with ss# or if it says anything about fraud victim security blocks then an official document such as a tax document or the ss card itself is needed). If once the account is set up any mail is returned as undeliverable then the account is suspended until a valid address is provided. Any changes of address which involve moving from a state with more restrictions to a state with less restrictions requires proof of residency to complete.
countryhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
If the ADW is really sincere, they can monitor the IP addresses and approximate your location.
But still, if a friend or relative allows you to bet on their account it shouldn't be a problem. A person could easily be a resident of another state, yet spend a good chunk of time in Texas for example.
Another thing, the friend is on the hook for withholding etc. In other words it has to be a trustworthy friend or relative.
It just goes to show how ridiculous some of these rules are, and this is an issue at HANA that we are trying to change.