Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #76
DSB

Just a couple of things on this subject:

First, Air Power is not a drug, its a mixture of legal substances designed to help clear a horse's airways. It probably doesn't do much - if anything - to improve a horse's performance. At various times I've used a similar product called Wind Aid, and at others I've pushed some vicks vaporub up a horse's nostrils. Does it help? Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, it's not a big deal.

Then why use it, you ask? Because trainers do all sorts of things they hope will help their horse, and once a trainer develops a routine and something like Air Power or Wind Aid is part of it, it is used routinely. It's as simple as that.

Given Mullins track record, the authorities most likely have a lot more than Air Power to be concerned about.

Now, all that having been said, Mullins should have known the DB rules and abided by them. Ignorance is not an excuse, nor is the fact that guards may have not originally noticed he entered the DB with a syringe and Air Power.

Just because what he wanted to administer to his horse is not illegal per se, doesn't mean he has the right to give it in the detention barn.

Rules are rules, regardless of how someone views them, and everyone should be held accountable equally. I'm sure there are other trainers who would have liked to give their horse Wind Aid or Vicks just before going over. They couldn't because it is against the rules.

Mullins should be given whatever the prescribed punishment for that sort of infraction is.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #77
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan
Ever feel perfectly fine and chew on a Hall's cough drop....It "opens" you up even more...same kind of thing with Air Power.

Lots, and I mean LOTS, of trainers use it or one its equivalents on race day.

Again, Mullins infraction isn't about what he had, its that he had something in the detention barn.
'open up' is the point I was trying to make, thank you... and yes, it IS about the fact he had something in the D barn.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #78
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB
Just a couple of things on this subject:

First, Air Power is not a drug, its a mixture of legal substances designed to help clear a horse's airways. It probably doesn't do much - if anything - to improve a horse's performance. At various times I've used a similar product called Wind Aid, and at others I've pushed some vicks vaporub up a horse's nostrils. Does it help? Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, it's not a big deal.

Then why use it, you ask? Because trainers do all sorts of things they hope will help their horse, and once a trainer develops a routine and something like Air Power or Wind Aid is part of it, it is used routinely. It's as simple as that.
Wether or not Air Power, Wind Aid helps a horse or not...as you say, who knows? But, routine or not...I'm sorry, but IMO...unless a horse actually has a cough, why give that horse a medicine (regardless of the fact it's legal and no big deal) he doesn't need? These horses are given so much stuff it boggles the mind...their systems are being messed with, why...in order to gain an edge? I am of the opinion that no horse should be given anything he doesn't really need...sorry.
Given Mullins track record, the authorities most likely have a lot more than Air Power to be concerned about.
Agreed...and they need to 'lay down the law'
Now, all that having been said, Mullins should have known the DB rules and abided by them. Ignorance is not an excuse, nor is the fact that guards may have not originally noticed he entered the DB with a syringe and Air Power.
Agreed again...he's full of s**t that he didn't realize he was doing something against the rules...you gotta be a complete moron not to know Detention Barn rules...
Just because what he wanted to administer to his horse is not illegal per se, doesn't mean he has the right to give it in the detention barn.
Right.
Rules are rules, regardless of how someone views them, and everyone should be held accountable equally. I'm sure there are other trainers who would have liked to give their horse Wind Aid or Vicks just before going over. They couldn't because it is against the rules.

Mullins should be given whatever the prescribed punishment for that sort of infraction is.
Yeah...we'll see just what 'they' do about this...as mentioned, his 'rap sheet' is a mile long...it's time the powers that be get serious with trainers like this.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #79
JWBurnie

What's to say that the syringe Mullins had didn't also contain other substances? For example, a syringe of electrolytes...you could easily inject other substances with a needle size syringe into the syringe of electrolytes, or in this case Air Power. Air Power isn't necessarily the issue, it's other things that could also be contained, wouldn't you agree?

He shouldn't have had it, period. If you don't know the rules...you shouldn't be allowed to play.
JWBurnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #80
Brogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBurnie
What's to say that the syringe Mullins had didn't also contain other substances? For example, a syringe of electrolytes...you could easily inject other substances with a needle size syringe into the syringe of electrolytes, or in this case Air Power. Air Power isn't necessarily the issue, it's other things that could also be contained, wouldn't you agree?
I'm quite sure that was the intent of the detention barn rules...if you can't have anything, then you can only have nothing. Meaning, if you're not allowed to bring anything into the area, or administer any substance to the horse, then there is no chance of an illegal item being used...in theory anyway.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #81
tucker6

I was listening to Sirius radio's "At the races" this evening, and the host was laughing at the hub-bub on the "internet". I think he meant PA!! He apparently thinks this is much ado about nothing.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #82
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
I was listening to Sirius radio's "At the races" this evening, and the host was laughing at the hub-bub on the "internet". I think he meant PA!! He apparently thinks this is much ado about nothing.
maybe the host can have mr mullins on as a guest and "clear the air" about this situation, his current views on the horseplayer, optimum takeout rates, and all of this internet hub-bub stuff!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #83
Relwob Owner

Quote:

The attitude that the guy on the radio has is the reason nothing changes.....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #84
DSB

Wether or not Air Power, Wind Aid helps a horse or not...as you say, who knows? But, routine or not...I'm sorry, but IMO...unless a horse actually has a cough, why give that horse a medicine (regardless of the fact it's legal and no big deal) he doesn't need? These horses are given so much stuff it boggles the mind...their systems are being messed with, why...in order to gain an edge? I am of the opinion that no horse should be given anything he doesn't really need...sorry.

Just to set the record straight:

Air Power and Wind Aid are not intended to suppress coughs when used pre-race, they are intended to clear the airways to help the horse breathe better. So, any characterization that it's "not needed" is strictly a matter of opinion.

Obviously those who use it think it works and is therefore "needed".

Personally, I don't rely on Wind Aid when I want a cough suppressant, I'd much rather use honey/glycerine. It's more effective and lasts longer.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #85
TurfRuler

Fairy Tales of Trainers

What has any trainer Mullins, Dutrow, Sadler or Frankel done for you lately in helping you make your selections? I say nothing. I have yet, in all my years, heard a prognosis from a trainer about whether or not his horse is ready to win today. After the fact, they all claim their genius.

Why are some so easy to forgive and forget the dirty rotten scoundrel things that the trainer do to keep his charges running. We already know that drugs are masked in other substances and given to horses. We’ve heard about the use of snake venom by trainers and we know about steroid use. It may have started with the explanation that the horse was cured of that energy-robbing habit, that he got a new bit, that surgery was performed on the soft palate, a bone chip was removed, the horse is cured of allergic reactions to vitamin injection, a nail was in his hoof, he ships poorly and that throat surgery was performed on his entrapped epiglottis and of course he was gelded. But we get this information after the fact.

And some accept the lying trainer saying it was an innocent mistake that he took a pail filled with a substance in a plastic bottle with a screwable cap and a tube to inject it into the horse in the detention barn prior to the race was not something being masked. Oh how innocent he looks to his children
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #86
boomman

"At the races"

Quote:
Then he would be wrong!!!!!

Boomer
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #87
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRuler
What has any trainer Mullins, Dutrow, Sadler or Frankel done for you lately in helping you make your selections? I say nothing. I have yet, in all my years, heard a prognosis from a trainer about whether or not his horse is ready to win today. After the fact, they all claim their genius.

Why are some so easy to forgive and forget the dirty rotten scoundrel things that the trainer do to keep his charges running. We already know that drugs are masked in other substances and given to horses. We’ve heard about the use of snake venom by trainers and we know about steroid use. It may have started with the explanation that the horse was cured of that energy-robbing habit, that he got a new bit, that surgery was performed on the soft palate, a bone chip was removed, the horse is cured of allergic reactions to vitamin injection, a nail was in his hoof, he ships poorly and that throat surgery was performed on his entrapped epiglottis and of course he was gelded. But we get this information after the fact.

And some accept the lying trainer saying it was an innocent mistake that he took a pail filled with a substance in a plastic bottle with a screwable cap and a tube to inject it into the horse in the detention barn prior to the race was not something being masked. Oh how innocent he looks to his children

I think that Biancone is the most sickening...caught with Cobra venom, takes a year off and back in business in California---I was watching TVG one of the days he got back and almost puked at how much they played donw the issue....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #88
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
The attitude that the guy on the radio has is the reason nothing changes.....
Shil for ADW's, advertisers, says nothing, boring guests, waste of time, rehashes races, repetitive...plug in X,Y,Z...same old,same old
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #89
bellsbendboy
Veteran

Agree

--

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-09-2009 at 12:09 AM.
bellsbendboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #90
DerbyTrail

Quote:
That is incorrect. Anyone listening to 'At the Races' Monday or Tuesday would know that I was very critical of Mullins and his either brazen or stupid actions. You can hear the comments throughout either broadcast on the Archives, particularly in Hour 1 and 3 Monday. Tonight, I'm sure Gary West (6pm), Seth Merrow (5:30pm) and I will continue the conversation.

MONDAY ARCHIVE PAGE (Tuesday will be up later today):
http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=06&Itemid=35

Additionally, I'm rather surprised to see that someone thinks my attitude "is the reason nothing changes," as I've tried dilligently to bring forth the issues important to those that love the game and want it to survive and thrive. Over the last 2+ years on the show ATR has delved into as many of the important topics that the game faces as possible, and has brought industry leaders, advocates and critics alike to the air. Anyone that is even a casual listener should know that ATR is totally available to voices for change and positive action in racing whether it is from the wagering side, rider issues, safety and integrity, post-career lives of horses and much more. As I've said here and at Derby Trail since assuming the hosting duties of ATR, I'm anxious to hear from anyone with ideas and suggestions to make the show vital to horseplayers and more casual fans.

Finally, as to the bizarre and stalker-esque poster directly above, I'm getting tired of the now actionable smears and insults, first at my own website in messages forwarded to me by Derby Trail members, then at the defunct DMFF, and now here. I've shared my writing and handicapping work on the internet since 2003, and am pretty well known to many at PA from the years when I posted more regularly. In addition, I'm confident the many friends from this site that I know well from Saratoga will also vouch for the earnestness and originality of my efforts. I am affiliated with Thoro-Graph and host the Saratoga Thoro-Graph Weekend Seminars at my Carolina Barbecue Cafe location across from the Carousel. My handicapping using TG figs reflects the obvious pattern horses. It will continue to do so as they have produced significant returns for Derby Trailers and 'At the Races' listeners. A record of some of those returns can be found on the ATR Handicapping page here:

http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...d=22&Itemid=38

or at Derby Trail:

http://www.derbytrail.com/pages/index.php

Last edited by DerbyTrail; 04-08-2009 at 06:51 AM.
DerbyTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply