Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #16
Moreno

All good points, but....Doesn't explain spots being staked out before 7AM
I don't know when the breakfast starts but I don't think it's before 7Am
Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #17
Moreno

I for one would not want to see a new grandstand at the best place in the country.
It would destroy the charm of the SPA.
I even miss the old fashion urinals in the men's room on the first floor near the apron and section K when they modernized.
Although I do appreciate the panels between the urinals especially later in the day when people have been drinking for hours and their aim is off.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:13 PM   #18
TMQ
Longacres transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I probably wasn't clear Re staking out a spot .
The gates open about 7AM when you can come in and claim a spot, they kick you out at 10AM and the gate officially open at 11AM.
No problem with this.
The problem is if you get there at 7AM there are already spots claimed.

BEFORE 7am! Before you can come in at 7AM.
Im confused why do they let people in only to kick them out and let them back in? Why not just have 1 opening time?
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #19
Sheffwed

this one wins a prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Hard to fix perfection but I have a few minor suggestions. One, replace the entire stadium with a brand new one. I'm sure the good citizens of Saratoga Springs would vote that in. Not!

I've always felt that the racing at the SPA is better, but Del Mar is a better place to bring a date.

And two, get rid if the TV booth next to the paddock. This is a new addition ( ok, compared to the years the SPA has been racing.).
Definitely move the TV booth, what a waste of valuable space
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2023, 02:57 PM   #20
Moreno

Gate 7

Another peeve/suggestion:
They should open gate 7, if not for entry at least for exit after the races it would help with traffic especially for fans in the front parking lot who want to go south. Union ave is a mess after the races this would help.
You can look on google maps where gate 7 is its on Lincoln Ave. near Siro's.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #21
Moreno

TV Booth

Another vote to remove the TV booth.
Even though I have had some good talks with Migliore there. He has become a good broadcaster and a friendly guy.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:11 PM   #22
Moreno

Because they want people to be able to come early and claim a spot, which is fine and a long standing tradition. So they don't check tickets until official opening time.
It would a real pain for then to have the entry ticket windows staffed at 7AM.
So they need to get everyone out so tickets can be checked.
I have no problem with this in fact I like it.
My problem is with the cheaters and the lack of enforcement by security.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
Moreno

The DRF used to have a Saratoga Package that gave you the PP's for the entire meet with a booklet filled with facts and figures, but they stopped a couple of years ago. Now you have to spend more to get two separate packages to get the PP's for the whole meet.

What happened to fan friendliness! Do they really have to suck every nickle out of you!
Old 06-19-2023, 10:16 PM   #24
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
All good points, but....Doesn't explain spots being staked out before 7AM
I don't know when the breakfast starts but I don't think it's before 7Am
Yeah, I go to breakfast now and again . And anyone can waltz in with their stuff. There’s people that do it just about every day of the meet . The guards know them and bs with them . And they aren’t going to say anything or chase them off . The only days they really enforce it are the biggest Saturday deals and Opening Day. You know , when the local news shows the gates open and it’s like the running of the bulls. On any normal day it’s pretty quiet in the morning there . I see people bringing shit in all the time and setting up. I know people that get the same spot for almost everyday of the meet .

Last edited by burnsy; 06-19-2023 at 10:18 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2023, 07:48 PM   #25
Publius

in 31 days I will be at the Spa. I have been there for breakfast and it is good but pricey. My only complaint about the place is the boxed in area for picnic tables adjacent to the paddock. Other than that I love the place and I am
counting down days until I will be there.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2023, 11:24 AM   #26
Thomas Roulston

The Inner Turf Course at Saratoga needs to have its rail/hedge moved in, by 48 feet - just like Gulfstream did with its turf course (by 14 feet; Santa Anita did it too - 21 feet).

Then move the rail on the Mellon Turf Course in by 16 feet.

These changes would make the Mellon Turf Course exactly 1 mile, and the Inner Turf Course exactly 7 furlongs.

In addition to the resulting wider courses permitting larger field sizes, races at 7 1/2 furlongs on the Inner Turf become possible.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2023, 01:42 PM   #27
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
The Inner Turf Course at Saratoga needs to have its rail/hedge moved in, by 48 feet - just like Gulfstream did with its turf course (by 14 feet; Santa Anita did it too - 21 feet).

These changes would make the Mellon Turf Course exactly 1 mile, and the Inner Turf Course exactly 7 furlongs.

In addition to the resulting wider courses permitting larger field sizes, races at 7 1/2 furlongs on the Inner Turf become possible.
None of those need to get done.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2023, 11:17 AM   #28
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post

You lost me at "just like Gulfstream".

Completely restructure two turf courses in order to facilitate 7 1/2 furlong turf races? What makes the turf courses more attractive if their distances are brought to "integer furlongs"?

As a side note, there is a major difference between Saratoga and Santa Anita that drove the latter's decision to change their turf configuration.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2023, 06:11 PM   #29
CheckMark

Quote:
The DRF used to have a Saratoga Package that gave you the PP's for the entire meet with a booklet filled with facts and figures, but they stopped a couple of years ago. Now you have to spend more to get two separate packages to get the PP's for the whole meet.

What happened to fan friendliness! Do they really have to suck every nickle out of you!
Yep, I remember buying that a while back. Good value to get 40 days of pps and updated facts/figures on the upcoming meet.

I'm trying to remember when I went to Saratoga last summer if they sold the "facts and figures" booklet. I think there might have been something like that at one of the program stands could be wrong, but it was like $8-$10, maybe from a distance.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #30
alhattab

Quote:
I am a season pass holder at the SPA for 35 years.
Would like opinions on how to improve the SPA experience.
Any pet peeves welcomed.
I'll start it off:
-Every year it seems opening day is a surprise to NYRA. Something is always out of order, ie. TV's, sound system, escalator. Betting windows maned by people without a clue. I asked for an exacta box and the clerk answered " sorry, I don't know what a Jack-in -the -Box is" True story.

-Take the picnic tables out of the paddock area, they spoil the whole atmosphere. There are plenty of picnic tables all over the property. Bring a chair!
-Re the paddock area,how is it possible that people are set up with a table or chairs or stake out a place with a tarp BEFORE the gates open!
Someone is getting paid off. UNFAIR!

-Bring back the $2.50 hot dog.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years,and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Elwood P. Dowd
Anything that improves all attendees’ access/visibility of the horses. one thought I’ve had would be a tiered viewing stand somewhere. Very slight rise. Maybe on either side of the walkway owners use from the paddock to the Clubhouse
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply