Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
SmartyParty

The Travers

Any advice on coming to Saratoga for The Travers? Is it possible to move around? Can one go from the paddock to the track or grandstand or are you stuck in your seat all day like the KY Derby?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyParty
Any advice on coming to Saratoga for The Travers? Is it possible to move around? Can one go from the paddock to the track or grandstand or are you stuck in your seat all day like the KY Derby?
It is extremely crowded. You can move around, but don't expect to get anywhere quickly.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
SmartyParty

But as long as it's not as bad as the Derby, then it is probably worth it. Anything else to know ahead of time?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
moneyandland

For a racetrack it's crowded but compared to outdoor concert venues and the like moving around isn't a hassle, it's not shoulder to shoulder but expect long betting lines, food, etc
moneyandland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Cratos

Quote:
But as long as it's not as bad as the Derby, then it is probably worth it. Anything else to know ahead of time?
37 straight derbies and the same for the Travers; the Travers Day is much better and typically the weather is better in Saratoga.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
tanner12oz

Quote:
I went last year and had no problems getting around. I play adw so I dont move much but anytime I went to the bathroom or got food I had zero issues. Will be going again this year. Everything you hear is true, its great there.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
I would buy a seat if possible. They open the gates at 7:30 and all the lunatics come running in to grab up any spot they can find in the back yard. Someone will get seriously injured one of these years and there will be a big lawsuit, but if you buy a grandstand ticket, then you will have a nice shady seat guaranteed. Remember that the seat price is in addition to the entry price.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
SmartyParty

This is great advice and I'm coming! I've been to Saratoga twice for the Whitney, but the Travers has been on my Bucket List for years. When and how can I get tickets? Thanks, everyone. I always get such good help on this forum!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
infrontby1

If it's over 85 degrees or a rain storm passes over, plan on heading over to a Capital District OTB or watch the race in a nice air-conditioned teletheater at Saratoga harness one exit away off I-87.

Otherwise; plan on getting your feet soaked, your body full of sweat (unless you get a nice seat in the clubhouse/grandstand as somebody earlier suggested to shield out the sun), and getting out of the race track a few minutes before sundown.

As a side note, keep your fingers crossed that if you're in the backyard area, that the PA system will be fixed for this year's races.
infrontby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Saratoga really isn't the living hell on Travers Day implied by the last poster. Why would anyone opt for a Capital District OTB over the track? In that case, why not just watch it on TV and bet with your ADW account?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #11
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Saratoga really isn't the living hell on Travers Day implied by the last poster. Why would anyone opt for a Capital District OTB over the track? In that case, why not just watch it on TV and bet with your ADW account?
I was thinking the same. Why would one pay hotel, dining, etc, coming to Saratoga, only to check out and go to Saratoga Harness, or any of the OTBs? Its just one day. Roll with it. You'll love it.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

It can get really hot......
Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
SmartyParty

It was hot the other two times I came. And, yes, I'm spoiled by Nevada's dry heat, but I grew up in Iowa. And no way am I going to fly all that was on three different planes to watch the races on TV! When do tickets usually go on sale?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/information/tickets/
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #15
thespaah

Quote:
Its crowded. But in all the years I have gone to Travers Day, I haven't had any issues with moving about.
MY best suggestion is to go at least once or twice to Saratoga, preferably during the weekdays when it is less crowded and get to know the lay of the land.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply