Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
upthecreek

Scott Lake

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...nt.cfm?id=1906
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Those other guys got kicked out under the "its about the integrity of the game" but this guy Lake gets to serve a suspension and come back?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
chadk66

the owners must be on board with this stuff or these guys wouldn't have horses. how about penalizing owners for staying with these trainers. or penalize them for having multiple infractions under the same or different trainers.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
the owners must be on board with this stuff or these guys wouldn't have horses. how about penalizing owners for staying with these trainers. or penalize them for having multiple infractions under the same or different trainers.
No doubt this is true. An owner who stays with a cheater wants to cheat himself because if he or she didnt want to cheat, they would transfer horses to someone with integrity. I agree with this point. owners need "Demerits" that add up if you are constantly in association with cheaters.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
onefast99

Different rules for different folks!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
chadk66

I had an owner once that wanted me to hold his horse back in a couple races so he could get a good price on him to bet. Within ten minutes his horse was being led out my barn to another trainer. true story.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
I had an owner once that wanted me to hold his horse back in a couple races so he could get a good price on him to bet. Within ten minutes his horse was being led out my barn to another trainer. true story.
how did he want you to hold his horse?
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
how did he want you to hold his horse?
have the jock hold him back. happens alot more than most would believe.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

How many years ago was it that Lake was claiming horses and working magic, winning at a ridiculously high percentage? Now it is pretty obvious he was giving the horses more than just carrots.

Must of been 25 years ago or so can't remember the trainers name but he turned into a genius at claiming horses at Los Alamitos and running them in 870 yard races. He would claim a horse for $2,000 (bottom level at the time) and climb the class ladder until the horse would win at $20,000 (top price at that time) and then someone would claim it away from him. The horse in the hands of the new trainer would end up back in $2,000 races before long unable to win there. The guy's secret wasn't discovered for quite some time. He was shooting the horses full of heroin which at the time wasn't routinely tested for. Wonder how many trainers look at the horse as a meal ticket and could care less about sacrificing the horses long term health to win now?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
How many years ago was it that Lake was claiming horses and working magic, winning at a ridiculously high percentage? Now it is pretty obvious he was giving the horses more than just carrots.

Must of been 25 years ago or so can't remember the trainers name but he turned into a genius at claiming horses at Los Alamitos and running them in 870 yard races. He would claim a horse for $2,000 (bottom level at the time) and climb the class ladder until the horse would win at $20,000 (top price at that time) and then someone would claim it away from him. The horse in the hands of the new trainer would end up back in $2,000 races before long unable to win there. The guy's secret wasn't discovered for quite some time. He was shooting the horses full of heroin which at the time wasn't routinely tested for. Wonder how many trainers look at the horse as a meal ticket and could care less about sacrificing the horses long term health to win now?
I can believe that happening back then. Nobody tested for Heroin because at that time when you tested for it you could only test for it. you used the whole sample just for that so you couldn't test for anything else.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
no breathalyzer
Veteran

What happened 3 for the last 72? ... 7% trainer at Parx
14/199. Did he forget how to train? or been getting bad hay and oats?
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
It's called a slump......
Old 11-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
Hmmmm. Interesting and most likely coincidental.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
cbp
Veteran

He's at the point where he's probably actually considering getting them out of the barn for gallops and workouts. The days of shooting them up and not training them appear over. Sucks when you lose your pusher, I suppose

Last edited by cbp; 11-17-2015 at 03:07 PM.
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
onefast99

Quote:
It is very difficult to prove an owner had any knowledge of a trainer using an illegal substance on their horse(s). The trainer is first in line punishment wise until he or she blames it on the vet!