Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Travers Stakes - Monomoy Girl Poll
Yes 24 37.50%
No 37 57.81%
Maybe/Under some situation X - Detail reasons in thread 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. This poll is closed

Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
BCOURTNEY

Travers Stakes - Monomoy Girl

Real simple - Travers Stakes - Monomoy Girl poll.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

She will get run down at 10f
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
GMB@BP

I dont see it, she may be good enough but dont see any reason to do it. Its only a bit more money than the alabama, she cant win horse of the year so winning it is nice but doesnt do much. She should concentrate on winning the distaff, it takes a pretty special 3yo to win that race.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I dont see it, she may be good enough but dont see any reason to do it. Its only a bit more money than the alabama, she cant win horse of the year so winning it is nice but doesnt do much. She should concentrate on winning the distaff, it takes a pretty special 3yo to win that race.
A filly winning the Travers would be "nice"?

It's something that hasn't been done in over a 100 years...it would be historic, even if it didn't garner her HOY.

As far as the Distaff, Sacahuista, Spain, Unbridled Elaine, and Ajina all took the race without dominating the 3yo filly division, so it's not necessarily always a tough race. That said, this year's race will likely feature a couple of stout racemares in Abel Tasman and Elate, with some brilliance thrown in from Unique Bella (if she holds together and/or goes that route).

So the Travers may actually end up being an easier stunt to pull off with a fairly depleted 3yo male division come Travers day with basically Good Magic and a bevy of second stringers in tow...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 AM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
A filly winning the Travers would be "nice"?

It's something that hasn't been done in over a 100 years...it would be historic, even if it didn't garner her HOY.

As far as the Distaff, Sacahuista, Spain, Unbridled Elaine, and Ajina all took the race without dominating the 3yo filly division, so it's not necessarily always a tough race. That said, this year's race will likely feature a couple of stout racemares in Abel Tasman and Elate, with some brilliance thrown in from Unique Bella (if she holds together and/or goes that route).

So the Travers may actually end up being an easier stunt to pull off with a fairly depleted 3yo male division come Travers day with basically Good Magic and a bevy of second stringers in tow...
I think older females have gotten tougher the last decade or, maybe its just me, but I think that is the toughest class year in year out.

I understand historic, I just dont know where that puts here in terms of being remembered, if Justify was in the race, well yea, then it would be talked about. If not its like Beholder winning the Pacific Classic. Nice work, not sure it mean much, they certainly dont talk about the last filly winning the travers, since as you said it is historic.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
dilanesp

I think the Pennsylvania Derby would be a great target for her.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think older females have gotten tougher the last decade or, maybe its just me, but I think that is the toughest class year in year out.

I understand historic, I just dont know where that puts here in terms of being remembered, if Justify was in the race, well yea, then it would be talked about. If not its like Beholder winning the Pacific Classic. Nice work, not sure it mean much, they certainly dont talk about the last filly winning the travers, since as you said it is historic.
No filly has tried in nearly 40 years. Davona Dale and Chris Evert in the 1970s were the last two I think.

I don't think anyone talks about horses that ran over 100 years ago, but they especially wouldn't with Travers winner Lady Rotha, as she didn't actually win the race.

Another horse won the race by open lengths, but the filly was put up on a DQ, ironically enough (see some of your posts in the Wickerr thread)...for interference in the first furlong.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 AM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think the Pennsylvania Derby would be a great target for her.
Certainly better spacing (by today's standards) than the Travers...

Last edited by Spalding No!; 07-24-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
groupie doll

She's supposedly going to the Cotillion next...
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Quesmark

No real reason to run her in the Travers when there are plenty of lucrative spots in the F/M division she can go in.MG was impressive in the CCA,but had everything going for her in that race,the Travers would be a different animal.
Maybe if she runs as a 4yo she can take a shot in open company,right now she would be best served sticking to her niche...
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesmark View Post
No real reason to run her in the Travers when there are plenty of lucrative spots in the F/M division she can go in.MG was impressive in the CCA,but had everything going for her in that race,the Travers would be a different animal.
Maybe if she runs as a 4yo she can take a shot in open company,right now she would be best served sticking to her niche...
You aren't wrong about the purses, but the open races are not difficult right now.

That's the point. One reason Beholder ran in, and won, that Pacific Classic was because the handicap division in California was full of retreads ripe for a good filly/mare to come in and beat them.

MG actually would have a very good shot of beating up on a bunch of 3 year old colts this year. They don't have to do this, of course, but the idea that just because it's "the Travers" it is automatically some tough race is quite wrong. The Travers figures to draw a very weak field of colts this year.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
classhandicapper

I'm not so sure Monomoy Girl wants to go 10F, especially at Saratoga against males. But I do think she probably fits nicely in general with the 3yo males still running. At 8.5F-9F she's would be a major contender.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I voted YES so that maybe we can get a 6 horse field!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #14
BCOURTNEY

Wonder Gadot versus the boys in the Travers then, cool.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

voted = yes

Race could use a speed that poses some threat.
Monomoy Girl or Promises Fulfilled could add a dimension to the race.

Wouldn't bet on either one, and they'd be long shots.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: