Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
PressThePace

Predicteform

Does anyone have experience with this service, since taking the place of Equiform?
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Jack950

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
Does anyone have experience with this service, since taking the place of Equiform?
Have used predicteform a bit. Usually the free race of the day and weekend free track. Seems like good info.
Jack950 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
FastCharlie

Predicteform

I use it looking for overlays and have made some good scores. I do compare the selection with my software just to verify.
FastCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
thaskalos

For those who don't know, PREDICTEFORM is a new speed/pace rating service which was established after Cary Fotias's death...and it purports to have "automated" Fotias's figures in a manner which now allows them to be much more affordable than they were when the late Fotias was meticulously compiling them by hand. Alas...something must have gone wrong with the "automation"...because the figures as they now stand have none of the accuracy that Fotias raved about in his book BLINKERS OFF. I bought a month subscription several months ago...but had to cancel afterwards because the figures were so obviously off that a major programming mistake must have been made during the automation process. Pity...because the Fotias name is well-respected...and the figures were quite affordable. But the quality of the present figures does not deserve having Fotias's name attached to them.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-29-2019 at 09:11 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
For those who don't know, PREDICTEFORM is a new speed/pace rating service which was established after Cary Fotias's death...and it purports to have "automated" Fotias's figures in a manner which now allows them to be much more affordable than they were when the late Fotias was meticulously compiling them by hand. Alas...something must have gone wrong with the "automation"...because the figures as they now stand have none of the accuracy that Fotias raved about in his book BLINKERS OFF. I bought a month subscription several months ago...but had to cancel afterwards because the figures were so obviously off that a major programming mistake must have been made during the automation process. Pity...because the Fotias name is well-respected...and the figures were quite affordable. But the quality of the present figures does not deserve having Fotias's name attached to them.
I was afraid that this may happen. I doubt Cary would approve...
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I understand the argument that subjective analysis opens the door to subjective error which can then cause more or even greater errors over time.

That's why figure makers disagree about horses all the time and why I complain about them so much to begin with.

That suggests that automation would be preferable.

However, imo, there are way too many combinations of input figures, race results, changes to track speed etc.. to code for everything.

I think a level of automation that spits out results that are then manually reviewed makes some sense. That way you get the benefit of consistency, but also have the ability to correct the figures when a condition warrants it.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

pssssst.....BRIS!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

pssssst.....BRIS!
I've been trying to automate my class ratings for 4-5 years.

The goal would be to make them similar to the Timeform Europe or Racing Post Ratings that are subjective Class Ratings for races in Europe (though my scale is not pounds, it's Beyer scale).

I still run into all sorts of issues where I know the automated figure is wrong even though I'm only doing it for Graded Stakes in the US. It's worth it for me to keep improving them though because I can test the results and learn from tinkering with them. But imo automating speed or class is fraught with peril.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Every read Class of the Field by Quinn?
Tough to do for every race, but might be useful for graded stakes.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Every read Class of the Field by Quinn?
Tough to do for every race, but might be useful for graded stakes.

Yes. I like that book a lot.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
FastCharlie

Predicteform

I said before I have had good luck with this and his free race of the day today was a 15/1 shot and it won and paid $28.00. You need to fully read and understand when to bet and why as I may only get 2 plays a day, but always a good roi. I have not been using this long enough to say this will go long term, but for free plays I hang around.

PS I didn't know about or have never heard of this program before, but will enjoy the free plays
FastCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
andicap

I've always wondered if you could adopt Cary's methods to very accurate figures like Craig's assuming you can adjust the lengths behind standards.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #13
highnote

It's a shame Cary Fotias' velocity-based figures cannot be duplicated. He was the most passionate horseplayer I have ever met. He spent 12 hours per day and at least 60 hours per week meticulously compiling his ratings. He had data to make figures for just about every track in the country, but he focused on a select set of tracks so that his figures could be as accurate as possible and then would update his figures for a less popular track when there was a big race. He had statistical methods of making track-to-track, class, and surface switches that would boggle your mind. He showed me reems and reems of data he used to make the adjustments. He was impressive. He was the last of his kind.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
bugboy

cost

can anyone tell me the cost of a subscription to predicteform?
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: