Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

Mountaineer vet shortage

Quote:
HISA Visits Mountaineer During Chronic Vet Shortage at Track

A representative of the Horse Racing Integrity Act's (HISA) Racetrack Safety Team been on the grounds at Mountaineer Park in West Virginia has this past week–at a time when the track is experiencing an ongoing chronic shortage of attending, association and regulatory veterinarians, according to observers.

According to Jami Poole, president of the Mountaineer Horseman's Benevolent and Protective Association (MHBPA), there is often no veterinarian on the facility's grounds during training hours.

The veterinary shortage during training, said Poole, has been ongoing since the start of the year. Curiously, neither the WVRC nor HISA requires a racing association like Mountaineer to maintain a veterinarian presence during training hours.
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...tage-at-track/
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Curiously, neither the WVRC nor HISA requires a racing association like Mountaineer to maintain a veterinarian presence during training hours.
WTF???
Old 10-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
mountainman

We have similar difficulty in recruiting experienced officials, even at a recently increased rate of pay. Mnr's immediate setting literally shocks first -time visitors with its deep green, nestled beauty, but the surrounding region lacks attractive housing options and bears the stigma of economic exodus. An odd juxtaposition of back-roads and industrial blight.

Hancock county is an acquired taste. I love it, but it's not for everyone.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
judehaz

I think Hancock County is great. There are big box stores close enough across the river, but the towns that dot the West Virginia side have a distinct small town feel. It's a comfortable place, although, to be fair, I am always just visiting from Pittsburgh about an hour away, and it helps that I'm a white male, lol.

I find things like Sparkle, Gumby's and the cafes charming, and love DiCarlo's and Connie's Corner, a diner in Chester, WV. Heck, you can even see the (allegedly) World's Largest Teapot in Newell, WV. What's not to love?

It's not Saratoga, but it wouldn't want to be (I think) even if it could be.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
Brass Hat

Don't forget Tudor's Biscuit World.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #6
craigbraddick

Rich Perloff and I discussed Tudor's Biscuit World on TVG earlier this year! One of the things I really miss about Charleston, WV, where I used to live!
Old 10-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
PIC6SIX

Thumbs up

Hey, you left out Stuebenville pizza. Used to buy it down the river in Wierton, Wva. There also was a shop in Chester that also may have sold it. Hey another treat was the hot dog shop in East Liverpol, Ohio on the way to track before the toll bridge. Oh the good old days. Hey, Mtn / Waterford Park was a weekend vacation retreat for Clevelanders. Outdoor pools (2), tennis court, workout facility and short hole golf on the grounds. The good old days !!!!
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
Hey, you left out Stuebenville pizza. Used to buy it down the river in Wierton, Wva. There also was a shop in Chester that also may have sold it. Hey another treat was the hot dog shop in East Liverpol, Ohio on the way to track before the toll bridge. Oh the good old days. Hey, Mtn / Waterford Park was a weekend vacation retreat for Clevelanders. Outdoor pools (2), tennis court, workout facility and short hole golf on the grounds. The good old days !!!!
Great memories. Can you recall the Hot Dog Shop serving fresh root beer from frosted mugs? Still no place like it to get your fill of tasty grub on the cheap.

In this post-covid pre-recession era of contracted food services and reduced variety, the quality and scope of old Waterford's concession stands boggles the mind: Big, thick shakes..hot sausage sandwiches..fish & chips..pizza..burgers..popcorn..candy..with the hot stuff all made fresh from scratch...

I would KILL to go back for just one...

Last edited by mountainman; 10-17-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #9
PIC6SIX

Ditto to your comments. I used to stop by the lounge in the lodge after the races on Friday. I believe there was a band playing on Friday evening after the races. Used to marvel at the Runyon type characters, professional gamblers, jock agents or trainers, i.e., guy named Manual, one armed guy named Mack I believe was jock agent and guy named Nick who was a ticket seller, who would be there exchanging stories. I believe they lived in the trailer park across from the track. I gave Nick a ride to Liverpool one evening. Used to marvel at "The Whipper" Paul Pender or is it Bender, Will Grey and Roy Cave. I wish time stood still.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
mountainman

LOL..Colorful dudes from those thrilling days of yester-lore. Boisterous jock agents back then ruled the track. Heck, for my first year as an official, I thought one-armed Mac and Gerald Choina were my BOSSES.

And Manuel long ago retired whatever trophy exists for this place's most successful gambler. The guy was uncanny at making scores.

He lived in a mobile home park right across the street from the main entrance and, as word held, conducted elaborate "costume" parties complete with female guests. The "good fisherman,".."good professor".."good doctor" ..etc..all took part.

I classified such colorful tales as urban legend-or at least over-blown-until late one saturday night as I was engaged in outdoor "embrace" with some young lady of not inconsiderable pulchritude (alcohol factored in heavily), a battle dressed Roman soldier strode past, paused briefly to take in the action, nodded approvingly and barked "carry on citizen" before continuing up the hill.

True story.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-18-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #11
P.Rosa
Gambler

Looks like now, there are too many veterinarians.

There are 5 vet scratches to add to the 9 stewards scratches.

I can't bet online so I bet at my track after the early scratches.

I would have avoided Mountaineer had I known that I was handicapping in vain.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:20 PM   #12
PA.race.fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
LOL..Colorful dudes from those thrilling days of yester-lore. Boisterous jock agents back then ruled the track. Heck, for my first year as an official, I thought one-armed Mac and Gerald Choina were my BOSSES.

And Manuel long ago retired whatever trophy exists for this place's most successful gambler. The guy was uncanny at making scores.

He lived in a mobile home park right across the street from the main entrance and, as word held, conducted elaborate "costume" parties complete with female guests. The "good fisherman,".."good professor".."good doctor" ..etc..all took part.

I classified such colorful tales as urban legend-or at least over-blown-until late one saturday night as I was engaged in outdoor "embrace" with some young lady of not inconsiderable pulchritude (alcohol factored in heavily), a battle dressed Roman soldier strode past, paused briefly to take in the action, nodded approvingly and barked "carry on citizen" before continuing up the hill.

True story.
In my 40s now, but I do recall being there when I was young, maybe 40 years ago at Waterford…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I can remember little shops spread about the the main floor of the grandstand of which included a barbershop???? Am I dreaming or was there actually a barbershop in there???
PA.race.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #13
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
In my 40s now, but I do recall being there when I was young, maybe 40 years ago at Waterford…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I can remember little shops spread about the the main floor of the grandstand of which included a barbershop???? Am I dreaming or was there actually a barbershop in there???
Wouldn't have been unusual - I remember 6-7 from the various tracks I attended starting in the early '80s.
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Shoe-shine stands were a standard feature once upon a time.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #15
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
Ditto to your comments. Used to marvel at "The Whipper" Paul Pender or is it Bender, Will Grey and Roy Cave. I wish time stood still.
Willie Gray quickly became my favorite jockey when I ventured into that lifestyle nearly 40 years ago. I knew little of horseracing other than Secretariat, Ruffian breaking down on TV and Willie Shoemaker. I loved how he practically scooted up a horse's neck, taking advantage of his 4 foot 3 inch frame. I was not a fan of Bender, I don't think I was alone. I remember him laughing after dismounting while failing to hit the board on a favorite on more than one occasion. A long deceased friend let out a long verbal tirade towards Bender after one of those incidents. I heard many a story about Roy Cave. Did he really jump off or fall off quite a few horses because he was in on a fix, drunk or he felt like it? Wasn't his death an ongoing mystery?

RR