Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #136
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I like you too Alex. I'm just pointing out how hypocritical you are being.

When does he defend me when I'm wrong?

I like you too Andy.Am i hypocritical yeah,,Twitter isnt the real world.

Its entertainment im actually a normal person.

I have defended you plenty of times under a normal twitter account.

Happy Thanksgving Andy.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #137
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
I like you too Andy.Am i hypocritical yeah,,Twitter isnt the real world.

Its entertainment im actually a normal person.

I have defended you plenty of times under a normal twitter account.

Happy Thanksgving Andy.
It's only your abnormal ones that say awful things about me? You're too funny.

The post I responded to was you being hypocritical. That's all. Surely that's pretty obvious.

Happy holiday to you as well. That goes for everyone here, even the haters:-)
Old 11-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #138
Track Phantom

I believe Jessica reads the social media comments about her. I'm certain they hurt. She appears to be a good person that deserves a chance to grow into a very tough job. No one on social media owes her anything but I hope we can dispense with the negative commentary and allow her time.

Hope that doesn't come across as too pollyannaish. Most horseplayers I know are good people and I hope that extends to the internets on occasion.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #139
MonmouthParkJoe

I am rooting for her.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and believe the industry as a whole benefits from trying new things.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #140
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I am rooting for her.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and believe the industry as a whole benefits from trying new things.

I don't know why anyone would want to publicly embarrass themselves. Maybe next time Steven Tyler goes into rehab Aerosmith will get one of the roadies to sing in his stead. No more concert cancellations ... that would be a hoot as well.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #141
Inner Dirt

I don't consider what I am posting bashing her, I consider it constructive criticism and an understanding it is a tough job. I consider many other posts nothing but trying to help, while some are downright nasty. Sometimes it takes a lot of eyes on something to discover issues.

I never had designs on any type of voice work. I have a very distinct deep voice and speak in a monotone. My voice is probably what it would sound like if a bullfrog could talk. The only good thing is I have been told by people who are hard of hearing I am one of the few people who they can catch every word on without also lip reading. It is so bad people remember my voice.

I called the local auto parts store that I had visited once years prior. I needed some odds and ends for some machine repair and just called to see if he might have what I need or should I head straight for an electric wholesale house 50 miles away. He had what I needed. He already set the stuff aside and instantly recognized me as the caller before I said a word.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #142
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to publicly embarrass themselves. Maybe next time Steven Tyler goes into rehab Aerosmith will get one of the roadies to sing in his stead. No more concert cancellations ... that would be a hoot as well.
I think the mistake you make is thinking a racecaller is like a front man. The front man of horse racing is the horse, followed by the jockeys and trainers.

The race caller is like a drummer- not irrelevant but also not the show. And drummers do sometimes get substituted- famously Jimmy Nicol with the Beatles and that guy The Who picked out of the stands when Keith Moon was sick.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #143
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want to publicly embarrass themselves.
You must assume no one else can see your posts?
Old 11-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #144
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think the mistake you make is thinking a racecaller is like a front man. The front man of horse racing is the horse, followed by the jockeys and trainers.

The race caller is like a drummer- not irrelevant but also not the show. And drummers do sometimes get substituted- famously Jimmy Nicol with the Beatles and that guy The Who picked out of the stands when Keith Moon was sick.
Drummer and the bass are the heart and soul of the band. Drummer is the one who keeps the band in time and I’d argue the MOST important member of the band. That being said, Jay Privan had a bug up his ass with Vic Stauffer’s race calls and made it his DRF columns mission in life to let the world know. I don’t think anyone said “Vic reads his column and it must be hurtful for Vic to read”. I mentioned a while back I,d met Richard Grunder and anyone would be hard presses to meet a greater ambassador for the sport of horse racing. A racing insider who posts here responded by saying “ it’s one thing to be a nice guy, but he’s still a terrible race caller”. Hurtful or not, someone who sings in the shower does not a crooner make.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #145
Inner Dirt

Quote:
That being said, Jay Privan had a bug up his ass with Vic Stauffer’s race calls and made it his DRF columns mission in life to let the world know. I don’t think anyone said “Vic reads his column and it must be hurtful for Vic to read”. .

As for race callers some just aren't liked by certain people for no explainable reason. I felt Hollywood Park had a slew of sub standard race callers before Vic came along. I had a friend who pretty much hated every phrase that Luke Kruytbosch uttered. The one that would send him into a frenzy the most was
"asked for speed." I wish I had a cell phone camera back then, my friend's tirade would have been You Tube worthy.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #146
Inner Dirt

I watched some announcer videos. Luke Kruytbosch called a whole race with binoculars on a tripod. Kurt Becker held binoculars in his hands until they came out of the far turn, then called off the monitor. Looks like they all could be doing things differently.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #147
v j stauffer

Quote:
Drummer and the bass are the heart and soul of the band. Drummer is the one who keeps the band in time and I’d argue the MOST important member of the band. That being said, Jay Privan had a bug up his ass with Vic Stauffer’s race calls and made it his DRF columns mission in life to let the world know. I don’t think anyone said “Vic reads his column and it must be hurtful for Vic to read”. I mentioned a while back I,d met Richard Grunder and anyone would be hard presses to meet a greater ambassador for the sport of horse racing. A racing insider who posts here responded by saying “ it’s one thing to be a nice guy, but he’s still a terrible race caller”. Hurtful or not, someone who sings in the shower does not a crooner make.
When Jay and I were on good terms he thought I was a GOOD race caller. When we were no longer cordial for whatever reason. He thought I was a BAD race caller.

That's all you need to know about Jay.

I learned a very long time ago that some fans like my work and some hate it.

Makes perfect sense. I don't get too high on the praise or bummed out about the knocks. Comes with the territory.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #148
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As for race callers some just aren't liked by certain people for no explainable reason. I felt Hollywood Park had a slew of sub standard race callers before Vic came along. I had a friend who pretty much hated every phrase that Luke Kruytbosch uttered. The one that would send him into a frenzy the most was
"asked for speed." I wish I had a cell phone camera back then, my friend's tirade would have been You Tube worthy.
I liked Luke. He got "asked for speed" from Dave Johnson, who used to say it all the time at Santa Anita. He got his dream job at Churchill, called some Kentucky Derbies, and tragically died very young. I miss him.

You aren't wrong, however, about the Hollywood Park situation more generally- Bine Masters, Milo Perrins, Don Alexander, and Chris Katoulak were all not exactly what you would want in a race announcer. They really scored when they got Vic. Not only was he an excellent announcer who gave the track a consistent voice (like they had with Hal Moore and Harry Henson), but he really loved working there and would stay for the long haul.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #149
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I liked Luke. He got "asked for speed" from Dave Johnson, who used to say it all the time at Santa Anita. He got his dream job at Churchill, called some Kentucky Derbies, and tragically died very young. I miss him.

You aren't wrong, however, about the Hollywood Park situation more generally- Bine Masters, Milo Perrins, Don Alexander, and Chris Katoulak were all not exactly what you would want in a race announcer. They really scored when they got Vic. Not only was he an excellent announcer who gave the track a consistent voice (like they had with Hal Moore and Harry Henson), but he really loved working there and would stay for the long haul.

I had no idea "asked for speed" wasn't a Kruytbocsh original. I had no problem with Luke, it was my friend, I suppose maybe a little of that rubbed off on me. My friend really went nuts when Luke got the coveted Churchill Downs job. I even started researching Luke on the internet thinking maybe they had crossed paths and there was a backstory, like they went to the same High School or College, nothing there.

It could be genetic, my friend's father hated Pat Summit the famous college girls basketball coach. He had every sports package imaginable and would constantly root against the Lady Vols and would get mad as hell every time they won. If asked why he hated her he would just go on a senseless cussing tirade. Maybe she looked like one of his 4 ex wives.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:30 PM   #150
paulbenny

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOU CALLING RACES

Vic, I love listening to you call races. I will not have to wager and still enjoy Oaklawn largely because of you. You do excellent work.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: