Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #106
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
I got a totally unexpected phone call from Alan Buchdahl earlier this year, wanting to comment on one of my race calls where he thought he saw an area I could improve in. Never had met Alan, have no idea how he got my number, but was very happy to learn from an experienced announcer.

I don't think Buchdahl ever got a full time gig, that I know of. I even liked him more than Dave Johnson, that he filled in for back in the day at Santa Anita.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #107
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You never heard Bine Masters or Gunnar Froines.

Got any links to calls?
Old 11-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #108
Robert Fischer
clean money

Jackie Robinson was before my time, and it's a travesty to really compare JRob to JPaq.

This post is really dumb.

Supposedly Jackie Robinson was chosen in part due to his 'character'.

JRob had the character to withstand the criticism and opposition. Some vague grasps at strands of clouds that sort of resemble Jessica there... positivity etc...

don't get it twisted, Robinson was also a hell of a ballplayer. About his 3rd year he hit 340, 38 doubles, 12 triples, led the league in steals AND in being caught stealing, walked 3 or 4 times the amount he struck out... exciting talented player
Old 11-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #109
davew

she is slowly improving

at start of race, she is trying to call leaders when there are 3 or 4 within a neck and completely missing the 1 or 2 that had problems at break and spotted the field 5-10 lengths

when there is a pack or one sliding through late, it seems she is trying to read saddlecloth numbers rather than having silks/hat colors memorized or written down
Old 11-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #110
jimmyb

Just watched the fourth race. Pathetic. She's throwing herself under the bus.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #111
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I don't think Buchdahl ever got a full time gig, that I know of. I even liked him more than Dave Johnson, that he filled in for back in the day at Santa Anita.
Buchdahl was full time at Oak Tree for many years (indeed, I think he started back at age 18 or 19 or something (replacing Terry Gilligan), which was unheard of). He called all three of John Henry's Oak Tree Invitational wins, which you can find on Youtube, as well as John Henry's Henry P. Russell win and Landaluce's last two races, all of which are available online.

And he left Oak Tree to become full-time at Hollywood Park for a year and a half (I think the only call you can find online is the 1983 American Handicap.) There, he became one of the many announcers let go/fired by Marje Everett. (He was replaced by Jim Byers in 1984.)

I think he was also full time at Golden Gate for a year or two later on.'

Here's his call of Landaluce's last race (click on the link to watch):

Old 11-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #112
dilanesp

Quote:
Got any links to calls?
I doubt Gunnar was ever recorded- when he was calling Ferndale, I don't think they even played his call over the replay at the track (I am going off memory here- I did go to Ferndale and got to hear him).

Masters actually called some races at at least one major track before coming to California, so calls may exist somewhere. At Hollywood Park, he famously lasted all of the first 3 days of the season before Marje fired him and replaced him with Milo Perrins, whose claim to fame was being not as bad as Bine Masters. Again, tapes of those races exist somewhere. (The call I remember was a race won by a horse named Thrifty in an exciting driving finish, in which the first time Masters mentioned Thrifty in his entire call was after they went under the wire.)
Old 11-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #113
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Buchdahl was full time at Oak Tree for many years (indeed, I think he started back at age 18 or 19 or something (replacing Terry Gilligan), which was unheard of). He called all three of John Henry's Oak Tree Invitational wins, which you can find on Youtube, as well as John Henry's Henry P. Russell win and Landaluce's last two races, all of which are available online.

And he left Oak Tree to become full-time at Hollywood Park for a year and a half (I think the only call you can find online is the 1983 American Handicap.) There, he became one of the many announcers let go/fired by Marje Everett. (He was replaced by Jim Byers in 1984.)

I think he was also full time at Golden Gate for a year or two later on.'

Here's his call of Landaluce's last race (click on the link to watch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTHBIWN8yU

So most of his full time gigs pre-dated OTBs and when I started attending the races a lot.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #114
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Jackie Robinson was before my time, and it's a travesty to really compare JRob to JPaq.

This post is really dumb.

Supposedly Jackie Robinson was chosen in part due to his 'character'.

JRob had the character to withstand the criticism and opposition. Some vague grasps at strands of clouds that sort of resemble Jessica there... positivity etc...

don't get it twisted, Robinson was also a hell of a ballplayer. About his 3rd year he hit 340, 38 doubles, 12 triples, led the league in steals AND in being caught stealing, walked 3 or 4 times the amount he struck out... exciting talented player
Robinson was a superstar athlete in college at UCLA before going to the Dodgers. My father saw him play. He excelled in 4 sports, and had they held the 1940 Olympics, he actually would have been one of the favorites in the Long Jump.

There is actually footage of Robinson playing football at UCLA. You can get an inkling that he was spectacular.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #115
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I doubt Gunnar was ever recorded- when he was calling Ferndale, I don't think they even played his call over the replay at the track (I am going off memory here- I did go to Ferndale and got to hear him).

Masters actually called some races at at least one major track before coming to California, so calls may exist somewhere. At Hollywood Park, he famously lasted all of the first 3 days of the season before Marje fired him and replaced him with Milo Perrins, whose claim to fame was being not as bad as Bine Masters. Again, tapes of those races exist somewhere. (The call I remember was a race won by a horse named Thrifty in an exciting driving finish, in which the first time Masters mentioned Thrifty in his entire call was after they went under the wire.)

Thanks for the info, the only Cal Fair track I was at other than Pomona was Pleasanton. Did Gunnar predate the California fair circuit coverage at the SoCal OTBs? If so I never could have heard him.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #116
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Was awful.Only in racing do you get hire for a position you're not qualified for.

Everyone on twitter giving her kudos was laughable.

Honestly it was listening to a young female Grunder

Felt like she was calling horses from another track..
Thank you God that I don’t play parks I listened to a few races she called since you brought up the thread and I got a migraine trying to listen to her She is terrible she might be a good Paddock reporter but she should give up race calling,Park is a joke anyway
For hiring her.

Last edited by Profesor; 11-23-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #117
dilanesp

Quote:
Thanks for the info, the only Cal Fair track I was at other than Pomona was Pleasanton. Did Gunnar predate the California fair circuit coverage at the SoCal OTBs? If so I never could have heard him.
Yeah, Gunnar was at Ferndale at a time when there was either no simulcasting of Ferndale's races or very little.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #118
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Robinson was a superstar athlete in college at UCLA before going to the Dodgers. My father saw him play. He excelled in 4 sports, and had they held the 1940 Olympics, he actually would have been one of the favorites in the Long Jump.

There is actually footage of Robinson playing football at UCLA. You can get an inkling that he was spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIFW_NAJHiQ

Thanks for the video, he made the others look they they had cement shoes on. I was kind of looking at the video from a defenders stand point. It was kind of interesting how the video progressed. At first a couple runs were just flat out Jackie out running the other team to the edge. When that was cut off he ran back the other way and made it around the opposite corner for 10 yards. I am then thinking you just have to contain this guy, keep guys on his outside in both directions. Then they show a couple where he heads back inside after getting the edge cut-off and does spin moves with head and shoulder fakes getting a half dozen yards where he should have been tackled for a loss. I played D-3 college middle linebacker, I hated guys like him, I would have much rather faced a John Riggins type, than chase some SOB who you never can get a clean shot at.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #119
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Thanks for the video, he made the others look they they had cement shoes on. I was kind of looking at the video from a defenders stand point. It was kind of interesting how the video progressed. At first a couple runs were just flat out Jackie out running the other team to the edge. When that was cut off he ran back the other way and made it around the opposite corner for 10 yards. I am then thinking you just have to contain this guy, keep guys on his outside in both directions. Then they show a couple where he heads back inside after getting the edge cut-off and does spin moves with head and shoulder fakes getting a half dozen yards where he should have been tackled for a loss. I played D-3 college middle linebacker, I hated guys like him, I would have much rather faced a John Riggins type, than chase some SOB who you never can get a clean shot at.

Exactly what she needs. Mentor with some guidance.

If a top high school team asked you for help, I'm sure you could contribute.

I still have one of my old baseball bats. 35" 32oz got some markings on the barrell. Hold it sometimes to get in the groove. When I pick it up, I hold it a certain way. Lot's of people have knowledge to contribute.
aNNouncers that were pro, or backups or simply learned the craft of announcing

otherwise pass the torch to one of those other women or a regular guy

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-23-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #120
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Which, I assume, explains your inability to spell.
Finally
What took you so long
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: