Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

HISA releases proposed rules on medication, anti-doping programs

Quote:
The Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority on Friday afternoon released a massive tranche of proposed national rules that will regulate medication use, the authority’s anti-doping programs, and its testing and intelligence-gathering protocols.

The rules were posted on the website to gather public comment on the regulations prior to being submitted to the Federal Trade Commission, the oversight agency for HISA. HISA officials have said they intend to collect public comment on the rules until the planned FTC submission on July 1, with the intention of having a set of rules approved by the FTC and ready to be enforced as of Jan 1.
https://www.drf.com/news/horseracing...-anti-doping-p
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
dilanesp

Looks good. Plugs a lot of the current loopholes.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Looks good. Plugs a lot of the current loopholes.
Do you have any opinion on Judge Hood's ruling from Friday?

If you haven't read it it is at this link
http://ustrottingnews.com/wp-content...on6-3-2022.pdf
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Do you have any opinion on Judge Hood's ruling from Friday?

If you haven't read it it is at this link
http://ustrottingnews.com/wp-content...on6-3-2022.pdf
Not surprising. HISA is clearly constitutional.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

But clearly not good for racing, in the short- or the long-term.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
Al Gobbi

If this article is correct, Lasix will be banned starting next year though tracks can apply for an exemption

https://apnews.com/article/politics-...781997b2099711
Old 07-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
Al Gobbi

Quote:
HISA releases draft list of controlled, banned medications

The Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority has released a draft list of banned and controlled substances for public review and comment, along with a letter from the chairman of its medication control committee acknowledging that the list was informed by international standards that differ in many respects from regulations in use at U.S. racetracks.

The list, which provides the classifications for hundreds of substances, has become a source of concern for many horsemen because of the traditional tug-of-war between regulators and horsemen over what substances should be allowed to appear in post-race samples and those that should be strictly banned. Under HISA’s rules, all of the substances on the list are considered “prohibited,” but that category includes both “banned” substances and “controlled” substances. Controlled substances are those that are allowed to be administered within certain timeframes prior to a race.

The list also includes classifications for substances that have a “higher risk” of showing up in drug tests as the result of accidental contamination, a major source of concern for horsemen in how substances are regulated.
https://www.drf.com/news/hisa-releas...ed-medications
Old 09-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
Al Gobbi

Doping problem hasn’t gone away, despite the arrests – which is why HISA is critical

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...hisa-critical/
Old 09-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
pandy

It's unfortunate that HISA was necessary, but it was because the sport didn't do a good job of policing itself. This was especially true of certain jurisdictions. The CHRB's handling of drug violations and horse deaths by certain trainers was certainly suspicious.

This will create the consistency that was needed all along. Once penalties start getting handed out, I suspect that we'll see less drug violations.

I do wonder about this, pertaining to controlled substances, when those drugs are used in a suspicious manner. For instance, when Baffert had those 7 horses drop dead in a 16-month period, during the CHRB investigation, he said that he gave them a thyroid medication, sometimes referred to as Thyro-L. This is a drug that is often used incorrectly, in other words, given to horses that DO NOT have any sort of thyroid problem.

I'd like to see HISA require that trainers state the reason why they're giving a horse particular medications. I don't think that trainers should be using racehorses as experimental guinea pigs, administering drugs that the horse doesn't require or need because they heard that it might get the horse to run faster. And it leaves open the possibility that they're using it to mask other drugs. Baffert said he gave it to horses because he "wanted to build them up" but longtime veterinarian and CHRB board member Rick Arthur expressed surprise at that remark because he said that the drug actually causes horses to lose weight.

Last edited by pandy; 09-21-2022 at 09:49 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #10
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
It's unfortunate that HISA was necessary, but it was because the sport didn't do a good job of policing itself. This was especially true of certain jurisdictions. The CHRB's handling of drug violations and horse deaths by certain trainers was certainly suspicious.

This will create the consistency that was needed all along. Once penalties start getting handed out, I suspect that we'll see less drug violations.
Pandy,

I've been fortunate enough to be part of this great game since the late 1970's in various capacities. And I do agree that this business needs more consistency from state to state and track to track. Hopefully HISA will bring that.
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #11
delfman

all of this is BS! I'll never take any of this seriously until they give out lifetime bans for trainers who have multiple banned substances violations.
If they have done it in the past, they will do it in the future.
There is such a long list of doping trainers, most of whom race at Gulfstream.
Patrick Biancone

rohan crichton

I don't follow GP, so I'm sure others know more.

delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #12
andicap

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfman View Post
all of this is BS! I'll never take any of this seriously until they give out lifetime bans for trainers who have multiple banned substances violations.
If they have done it in the past, they will do it in the future.
There is such a long list of doping trainers, most of whom race at Gulfstream.
Patrick Biancone

rohan crichton

I don't follow GP, so I'm sure others know more.

"I'm sure they have learned their lesson."

Susan Collins.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #13
Al Gobbi

Quote:
HIWU Focused On Communication To Plan For HISA’s Anti-Doping And Medication Control Program

In May, the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority (HISA) announced that it had selected Drug Free Sport International, a global leader in the sport drug testing industry, to build HISA's independent Anti-Doping and Medication Control (ADMC) enforcement agency through the establishment of the Horseracing Integrity & Welfare Unit (HIWU).

Following HISA's submission of the rules for its ADMC Program to the Federal Trade Commission for approval and HIWU's announcement of key leadership hires in August, HIWU has been focused on five key areas in preparation for the implementation of HISA's ADMC Program on January 1, 2023.
https://paulickreport.com/news/the-b...ntrol-program/
Old 09-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Fun stuff! The bureaucracy grows in order to supervise the policies and practices that are pretty much standard operating procedures everywhere today.

They're going to have a chief of science...hmmm...sounds familiar.

Paperless collection system...what could go wrong?

They going to use the same labs that have been approved by the Racing Medication & Testing Consortium...which already exists! Why not an extra layer, I guess. How about more layers: HISA...DFSI...HIWU...ADMC...when does it end?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: