Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Capper Al

Low hanging fruit

I love my number crunching and have some very complex formulas in my system. And then at times my pick will lose and a friend will say didn't you notice that horse dropping three classes in a claiming race? The embarrassing anwers is no. I got out of the habit of reading the past performances relying too much on my software's output. E=MC squared just doesn't get it all the time. Now I'm rethinking my app not to include complex formulas but simple handicapping ideas that have been used for decades. Paper and pencil handicappers used to know a lot of these racing facts or angles like if a horse is dropping to far for price he's probably not worth a wager. Any similar simple handicapping factors that you care to share? Have you found yourself over thinking class, pace, speed, running style to overlook the obvious low hanging fruit?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 03-21-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
I love my number crunching and have some very complex formulas in my system. And then at times my pick will lose and a friend will say didn't you notice that horse dropping three classes in a claiming race? The embarrassing anwers is no. I got out of the habit of reading the past performances relying too much on my software's output. E=MC squared just doesn't get it all the time. Now I'm rethinking my app not to include complex formulas but simple handicapping ideas that have been used for decades. Paper and pencil handicappers used to know a lot of these racing facts or angles like if a horse is dropping to far for price he's probably not worth a wager. Any similar simple handicapping factors that you care to share? Have you found yourself over thinking class, pace, speed, running style to overlook the obvious low hanging fruit?
No
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Overlay

I wouldn't change my procedure (which is focused on calculating full-field fair odds). Even with seemingly low-hanging fruit, I would want to know whether it's hanging so low that it's not worth the risk of a wager.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
It is always easy to find reasons the winner won after the race. You really think betting a horse dropping three levels is a stand-alone winning angle?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It is always easy to find reasons the winner won after the race. You really think betting a horse dropping three levels is a stand-alone winning angle?
In a claiming race, I think it's a horse to consider to avoid

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
jasperson

Al, That is why I on my printout I print the class of the race and the class of each horse's last race. I then highlight the class droppers so I don't miss them.
Also I highlight horses that are picking up 5 lbs or more and those dropping 5 or more. In the comment line I highlight horses that have had trouble in their last race. I am surprised at the number of pencil and paper handicapper that miss these things.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566
No
Funny. LOL :=}

Anatole France

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
lansdale

There is no low-hanging fruit in profitable gambling

Quote:
Hi Al,

It should be obvious to you, as it is to nearly everyone on this site, that, if there ever was, there is not only no low-hanging fruit in this game, but nothing even halfway up the tree. The only remaining fruit, as it is in all profitable gambling, is at the very top of the tree, and available only to the best players.

It should also be obvious to you that any angle as simple as your friend's, to the extent it had any validity at all, was pounded into the red decades ago.
This is true (in all gambling) of anything simple or obvious. Many smart people have been thinking about all of these games for a long time.

If you have been a profitable player for the past three years, why are you listening to something so idiotic? Believe in the methods that have worked for you during that period of time and ignore variance and the random comments of unprofitable amateurs.

Cheers,

lansdale
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson
Al, That is why I on my printout I print the class of the race and the class of each horse's last race. I then highlight the class droppers so I don't miss them.
Also I highlight horses that are picking up 5 lbs or more and those dropping 5 or more. In the comment line I highlight horses that have had trouble in their last race. I am surprised at the number of pencil and paper handicapper that miss these things.
I'm doing some of that by condition highlighting in excel. Can't really use days since last raced anymore. A graded winner in am Optional Claimer may be another one.

Anatole France

Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
Hi Al,

It should be obvious to you, as it is to nearly everyone on this site, that, if there ever was, there is not only no low-hanging fruit in this game, but nothing even halfway up the tree. The only remaining fruit, as it is in all profitable gambling, is at the very top of the tree, and available only to the best players.

It should also be obvious to you that any angle as simple as your friend's, to the extent it had any validity at all, was pounded into the red decades ago.
This is true (in all gambling) of anything simple or obvious. Many smart people have been thinking about all of these games for a long time.

If you have been a profitable player for the past three years, why are you listening to something so idiotic? Believe in the methods that have worked for you during that period of time and ignore variance and the random comments of unprofitable amateurs.

Cheers,

lansdale
Why is because I know I'll go gang busters over complex handicapping formulas and ignore the obvious. Need to find a balanace.

Anatole France

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
In a claiming race, I think it's a horse to consider to avoid
Yet, you said missing that fact was embarrassing. Why the contradiction? If you think it is a horse you should avoid, and that type wins once in a while, who cares?

If I start looking for reasons why I lost every race, I'd drive myself nuts.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #12
HUSKER55

that all depends CJ, on some days it is a short trip...

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
In all my years playing this game, I have encountered only one handicapping approach that "gets it all the time"...and that approach is the practice of post-race handicapping. Post-race handicapping gets it all the time, because, as Cj already stated, it is so damned easy to make a case for any horse winning a race...once the race is over.

I don't claim to know everything, Al -- and you are welcomed to disagree with anything I say here -- but I would not go back to "angle plays" if I were you. There is a very valid reason why we traded the angle-type systems of the past for the more "complicated" methods that we use today; these simplistic systems of yesteryear don't work anymore...and it's very doubtful that they ever did.

Abandon the search for the method that "gets it all the time". This method doesn't exist. You are guaranteed to lose many more times than you will win...no matter what handicapping method you use -- and if you are betting exotics, then you will lose even more often.

This is the only sure thing in the game...

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-22-2013 at 04:46 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
NY BRED
GARY

handicapping angles

Horses dramatically rising or dropping in class can often be triggered by
owner instructions rather than trainer choice.Regardless, these are
eratic maneuvers that can be deciphered with such software as formulator
which can assist you in determining the success of claiming trainers.

One huge angle to never overlook is when a horse is reclaimed by
the trainer who lost the horse, especially when this horse is reclaimed
at a higher price or more competitive class level.

Horses claimed in consecutive races by different trainers should also be noted
as these trainers are noting their confidence in the fitness of the horse
regardless of the class level or running styles in previous races.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yet, you said missing that fact was embarrassing. Why the contradiction? If you think it is a horse you should avoid, and that type wins once in a while, who cares?

If I start looking for reasons why I lost every race, I'd drive myself nuts.
Let's try this another way. For example, if I were a speed handicapper and my top speed horse was dropping 3 class levels in a claiming race I should either skip the race or bet on the second best speed figured horse who is in today's class level according to the angle.

Anatole France