Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Quesmark

Kentucky tracks 0 MTP wager closing.

Quote:
ELMONT, NY, October 20, 2009--Did you see where the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the racing municipality that started it all, is considering the 0-Minutes-to-Post option for the closing of wagering pools at its racetracks?

If the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission decides to give the practice another try at a Wagering Integrity Committee hearing scheduled for next week, good for them. The experiment was held before at Churchill Downs but later was discontinued.

The Racing Commission will decide if wagering will be halted after the betting clock clicks down to zero, whether all the horses are in the starting gate or not.
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog...-size-matters/
For this to work properly,a digital countdown clock should be displayed on track odds boards,and TV's,and graphically inserted into all simulcasts.It could be like a NASA launch,or New Years eve , , , ... kind of thing.

Right now betting through an ADW every tracks 0 is different,not absolute,a bettor has to guess how much time is actually left,which sometimes results in costly shutouts.
Shutting the pools a minute,or two before the horse's actually break would reduce suspicions about late money odds drops.

Last edited by Quesmark; 10-24-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Shutting the pools a minute,or two before the horse's actually break would reduce suspicions about late money odds drops.
To make a statement like that tells me you don't understand the problem nor the solution.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
To make a statement like that tells me you don't understand the problem nor the solution.
what the tracks need to do is to stop taking the money from the off track wagering outlets and the adw's after they close their pools.Then the wagering outlets would be responsible for the bets either paying on them or refunding them.This would force the off track operations into stopping their betting with enough time to get their bets into the pools on time.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

What they need to do is spend some money, likely, a lot of money, on a new computer network and betting system. The stock exchanges have it, why not horse racing?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
fmolf

Quote:
What they need to do is spend some money, likely, a lot of money, on a new computer network and betting system. The stock exchanges have it, why not horse racing?
If they implimented these changes it might lead to an upgrade of the wagering system now in place.This would happen if the outlets and the tracks saw a decrease in handle due to the new wagering rules.The problem is who will pay for this upgrade?They'll bicker about it for years to come and nothing will get done!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Why not horse racing?

1. It cost money
2. It benefits the fans
3. It doesn't help the greedy SOBs who run the show.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

In the end, it is us, the betting public that will pay for it.

The fact they know it needs to be done but are apparently doing nothing about tells me they are not serious.

There are a whole host of issues that need to be fixed, a new wagering system is just one. They can kick that can down the road, again and again, however, it results in a continuation of the perception of lack of integrity.

Late odds changes and lack of control over illegal medications are the two big perception problems. Lots of studies, lots or proposals but no significant changes are taking place. How big the problems actually are compared to what the public's perception of them is where the issue lays. There's a gap there and the longer the problems are left to fester, the bigger the perception of the problem becomes.

Fixing the drug problem is a more complicated one than fixing the wagering system problem. Both will take time and money but the wagering system problem is solely technical in nature. That should be doable as long as there is a will to do it.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Valuist

Quote:
I can just hear track management; who's going to pay for it? Not us......lets see if we can get a takeout increase to fund it.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Having the history of screwed up technology that horse racing has, it wouldn't surprise me if they pass this rule so that you can't be after 0 mtp....but still allow people to cancel bets after.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

They should leave betting open until the horses hit the 3/8 pole. Allow new bets, allow cancellations, just one big cluster flock. Make the game more exciting, create all kinds of new controversies and data products. Lot's of fist fights at simulcast and OTB sites when people slow down the betting lines. We need to make this game more frenzied and frantic. Even allow quick-picks until they hit the 1/16th pole.

Why not? Nothing else seems to work!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
They should leave betting open until the horses hit the 3/8 pole. Allow new bets, allow cancellations, just one big cluster flock. Make the game more exciting, create all kinds of new controversies and data products. Lot's of fist fights at simulcast and OTB sites when people slow down the betting lines. We need to make this game more frenzied and frantic. Even allow quick-picks until they hit the 1/16th pole.

Why not? Nothing else seems to work!
That sounds like something that would be a big hit with the MTV generation. I think you are on to something.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Imriledup

I won't bet a track that closes pools at 0 mins. I like the ability to cancel a ticket of mine if my horse breaks thru the gate. I like the ability to make a wager if a heavy favorite is throwing a fit while loading.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
I won't bet a track that closes pools at 0 mins. I like the ability to cancel a ticket of mine if my horse breaks thru the gate. I like the ability to make a wager if a heavy favorite is throwing a fit while loading.
so do the big guys,this is a measure to restore some semblance of consumer confidence back in the game.I commend them for trying to rectify a problem that exists.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
misscashalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
That sounds like something that would be a big hit with the MTV generation. I think you are on to something.

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Why not horse racing?

1. It cost money
2. It benefits the fans
3. It doesn't help the greedy SOBs who run the show.
i'll give you number 1, but 2 and 3 are contradictory, because doing things that benefit the fans and gamblers would help us Greedy SOB's!

the answer isnt shutting down at 0 mtp, that would just cause huge problems, especially with late scratches, or delays for a new jock or equipment, it would be a circus.

the answer is faster better technology in my opinion. it really shouldnt take more than a second or two or 3 for all the late money to come in and get final odds after the gates open.