Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
letswastemoney

Explain the A-B-C-X method for horizontal wagers?

Let's say I already mapped out which horses are A,B,C in each leg.

Is there a formula I can follow to easily construct the tickets after I place the horses in the different letter categories?
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post

Is there a formula I can follow to easily construct the tickets after I place the horses in the different letter categories?
Do you want the grid for pick- 4, 5 and 6?

Use this:
https://ticketmaker.drf.com/pick4?wa...A&raceNumber=7

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 12-25-2018 at 07:36 PM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I’ve read that the ABC method was really not a good way to wager...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
What was the reasoning?
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:

Yes there is:

https://www.amazon.com/Money-Secrets.../dp/094532202X
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
It won't be if your handicapping opinion is no good.

What you're effectively doing is concentrating that opinion.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
What was the reasoning?
Something along the line that each sequence is unique and the singles ought to be more frequent (non-favorites) and the spreads deeper than how ABC is typically constructed...
Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

It's important to differentiate the Crist and Meadow approach and I suggest both are worth reading.

No matter what though, in the end it comes down to expressing and concentrating your opinion in an effort to improve on the 'caveman' ticket.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
thaskalos

The caveman ticket may not be the optimal way to bet...but the multi-layered ticket which Crist recommends demands the sort of handicapping skill that most players don't possess...IMO. We should wear the clothes that fit us.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The caveman ticket may not be the optimal way to bet...but the multi-layered ticket which Crist recommends demands the sort of handicapping skill that most players don't possess...IMO. We should wear the clothes that fit us.
Here here!
Old 12-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:

This would be an argument for people to play exotics with less slots ( or, more simply, just win bets ), not ABC vs Caveman. The ABC method will always be a more effective way to play given that it puts more emphasis on your stronger opinions as opposed to weighing each opinion the same ( which a Caveman ticket does ). Just because someone has a better opinion than another player doesn't mean the weaker player shouldn't employ the better method, it just means the better player will benefit more....but that's a given.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
This would be an argument for people to play exotics with less slots ( or, more simply, just win bets ), not ABC vs Caveman. The ABC method will always be a more effective way to play given that it puts more emphasis on your stronger opinions as opposed to weighing each opinion the same ( which a Caveman ticket does ). Just because someone has a better opinion than another player doesn't mean the weaker player shouldn't employ the better method, it just means the better player will benefit more....but that's a given.
Can you show us an example of a basic caveman ticket, and then a basic ABC ticket side by side so we examine the difference between those ticket structures...thank you, TLG.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
IMO...the main(only?) advantage that the ABC method brings is the fact that it allows the player to buy more combinations on his stronger opinions...which necessarily means that the wager will require a bigger investment. If the player's handicapping opinion is sound enough to justify the larger investment...then that's all well and good. But my experience has shown me that the vast majority of the long horizontal bettors are ill-equipped to deal with the complexity of these wagers...and they would be better off betting the minimum base unit that the wager allows. Not to mention that the majority of the players lack the sophistication to separate the contenders to the extent that the ABC method requires.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
IMO...the main(only?) advantage that the ABC method brings is the fact that it allows the player to buy more combinations on his stronger opinions...which necessarily means that the wager will require a bigger investment. If the player's handicapping opinion is sound enough to justify the larger investment...then that's all well and good. But my experience has shown me that the vast majority of the long horizontal bettors are ill-equipped to deal with the complexity of these wagers...and they would be better off betting the minimum base unit that the wager allows. Not to mention that the majority of the players lack the sophistication to separate the contenders to the extent that the ABC method requires.
Incorrect. The ABC method actually allows for more horses and a lower investment, though it is weighted towards your stronger opinions in each race, than a Caveman play.

You're getting this all wrong. Sorry.

Once again, you are advocating for people to play more simplistic wagers ( or maybe not bet at all ) and not discussing this method ( which I'm not sure you understand ).
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Incorrect. The ABC method actually allows for more horses and a lower investment, though it is weighted towards your stronger opinions in each race, than a Caveman play.

You're getting this all wrong. Sorry.

Once again, you are advocating for people to play more simplistic wagers ( or maybe not bet at all ) and not discussing this method ( which I'm not sure you understand ).
Show me in a practical way...instead of by using empty rhetoric, Andy.

Put a ticket together for us...where the ABC ticket will cost less money than the caveman ticket that holds the same horses.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: