Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

amazon is a beast

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/amaz...s-q4-2017.html

1.9 Billion in net income in 4th quarter

I remember the days where analyst said they would never turn a profit

Over 700 million benefit from Trump tax plan.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/amaz...s-q4-2017.html

1.9 Billion in net income in 4th quarter

I remember the days where analyst said they would never turn a profit

Over 700 million benefit from Trump tax plan.
And in a report issued essentially the same time Apple reported $60 billion for their Q1 2018 which covers nearly the identical period.

Two companies with reasonably close market caps.

Outside of cloud services, Amazon continues to operate as a non-profit. It makes them a feared competitor in any space but that is hardly an endorsement for them as an investment.

Amazon isn’t Tesla. I wouldn’t short them. But their market cap is built on a generally accepted idea that they will be able to “someday” turn their incredible revenue into actual profit. I question that.

I think the day they start booking meaningful profit, revenue begins dropping along with the stock.

I’m not sure Bezo’s has any intention of ever letting that happen.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Any company that single handily is shutting down the retail brick and mortar business across a country as big as ours is a beast.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #4
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Any company that single handily is shutting down the retail brick and mortar business across a country as big as ours is a beast.
I don’t disagree that Amazon has accomplished something astonishing. And is a fierce competitor in any space it enters.

But that’s because, for the most part, it’s retail business operates as a non-profit. If Borders or Barnes and Noble could have convinced their investors that selling books at a loss was a good business plan, we might be living in a different world today. Amazon did that and look what they’ve been able to accomplish. Beast, indeed.

I’m looking at it as a potential investment and for a lot of reasons, it’s a no for me.

But they are unquestionably beast worthy.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
reckless
Veteran

I can't figure out Amazon, the common stock, at all. But I confess I never really did.

By my very own method I use to analyze companies to find some sort of intrinsic value I value the true worth of Amazon at about $5 a share -- only about $1,425 less than yesterday's price.

Now I do use a non-conventional but albeit simple method in finding intrinsic value. I am not saying Amzn is a sell. It doesn't matter to me. But my method of evaluating companies intrinsic value does work well for me since I bought some of the world's greatest companies and money making machines in the high single digits and teens, giants such as Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, Master Card, Gilead, Gannett, CBS, Lorillard, Altria, ITT, to name just a few. Many of these purchases were, in fact, posted on PA at one time or another, so search all you wish if you doubt me.

And of course, I made the absolute single greatest market call in the history of PA --if not, in all of mankind-- when on 11-3-16 I said to everyone on here to buy stocks now because we are on the verge of the greatest investing opportunity in a lifetime ... a generational buying opportunity of a lifetime is what I said.

The DJIA was under 17,990 then and it's about 26,061 today, after just 15 months and three of the most horrible down days in ages.

As an investment I cannot ever think of buying Amazon ... and I felt this way over 1400 points ago.

Buy Fire TV, or Prime or any book or record. It's OK to buy products from Amazon but leave the common stock for the speculators.

Listen to reckless if you want to make any real money in the stock market.

Last edited by reckless; 02-03-2018 at 01:06 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I can't figure out Amazon, the common stock, at all. But I confess I never really did.

By my very own method I use to analyze companies to find some sort of intrinsic value I value the true worth of Amazon at about $5 a share -- only about $1,425 less than yesterday's price.

Now I do use a non-conventional but albeit simple method in finding intrinsic value. I am not saying Amzn is a sell. It doesn't matter to me. But my method of evaluating companies intrinsic value does work well for me since I bought some of the world's greatest companies and money making machines in the high single digits and teens, giants such as Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, Master Card, Gilead, Gannett, CBS, Lorillard, Altria, ITT, to name just a few. Many of these purchases were, in fact, posted on PA at one time or another, so search all you wish if you doubt me.

And of course, I made the absolute single greatest market call in the history of PA --if not, in all of mankind-- when on 11-3-16 I said to everyone on here to buy stocks now because we are on the verge of the greatest investing opportunity in a lifetime ... a generational buying opportunity of a lifetime is what I said.

The DJIA was under 17,990 then and it's about 26,061 today, after just 15 months and three of the most horrible down days in ages.

As an investment I cannot ever think of buying Amazon ... and I felt this way over 1400 points ago.

Buy Fire TV, or Prime or any book or record. It's OK to buy products from Amazon but leave the common stock for the speculators.

Listen to reckless if you want to make any real money in the stock market.
As a consumer, it’s difficult to go wrong with Amazon. Sure, there are often lower prices if you are willing to research a particular product but Amazon has created a walled garden of sorts with the benefits of Prime. I had to return a product I bought elsewhere and after jumping through hoops for the seller decided it wasn’t actually worth the $8 I had saved not shopping at Amazon.

BTW: If you have Prime and aren’t watching “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, you are mistreating yourself. You, in particular, will enjoy the music. I wasn’t ever in New York in early 60’s but the physical recreation of that period looks pretty good to an outsider.

Amazon is both a fantastic company and a terrible stock. But it will be around long after I’m gone. Tesla is a company that won’t.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
BTW: If you have Prime and aren’t watching “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, you are mistreating yourself. You, in particular, will enjoy the music. I wasn’t ever in New York in early 60’s but the physical recreation of that period looks pretty good to an outsider.

Amazon is both a fantastic company and a terrible stock. But it will be around long after I’m gone. Tesla is a company that won’t.
I concur...great show...fabulous acting...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Valuist

Amazon.....a stock which has been overpriced for NEARLY 20 YEARS. Growth stocks usually get a grace period of a couple years with high PEs if the revenues are strong. But nobody has ever gotten a 20 year grace period.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Like bitcoin, you can always short them and see if you know something everyone else doesn't when it comes to Amazon.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
BetHorses!

Amazon is the new mob 😀
Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
jballscalls

Amazon has changed Seattle more than anything as long as I've been alive. City feels so much different than it used to. Side effect of all the success they've had is they've brought in tens of thousands of new employees, all of whom are making good money, so rent prices have gone crazy. Not SF crazy but sure trying hard to get there.

I miss old Seattle, but can't stop progress.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
FakeNameChanged

A former boss managed a 1,000,000 sq. ft. dist. center for Amazon in Carlisle, Pa. Last I heard, they were doubling it's size. Beginning 2017 they had 217 such centers around the country, and plans to add 26 more last year. This is a massive expense, and labor required to fulfill orders. Apple gets a lot of components and assembly of products done in China, east Asia, Europe, and some in USA. This accounts for their high profitability along with great design. Amazon's net income statements have made great strides in last 4 years, but will never be compared to a tech company like Apple.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 02-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: