Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Horseplayers Take Sides in the Trainer Wars?
Yes 17 43.59%
No 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. This poll is closed

Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
andymays
Veteran

IT’S WAR IN CALIFORNIA! CTT FIRES BACK! By Ray Paulick

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/it...tt-fires-back/

IT’S WAR! CTT FIRES BACK

By Ray Paulick

The civil war that broke out recently among California trainers has escalated as a result of the following email that warns horseman what could happen if California Thoroughbred Trainers is decertified. A group calling itself California Horsemen for Change is staging a palace revolt to either replace all nine members of the CTT’s current board of directors through a special election or get enough signatures from trainers to have the CTT decertified.

Click here for a previous Paulick Report story providing background on the war between the California trainers and here for a press release from the California Horsemen for Change. Following is the warning email distributed by the California Thoroughbred Trainers to its members:

WARNING!

An organization has been formed that is attempting to eliminate the CTT. That group plans to ask the CHRB to make it the representative of all the trainers. Be aware that:

YOUR SUPPORT OF A NEWLY FORMED TRAINER GROUP COULD HAVE SERIOUS NEGATIVE FINANCIAL AND POLITICAL IMPLICATIONS
WE URGE YOU NOT TO SUPPORT THE ELIMINATION OF THE CTT
WE URGE YOU NOT TO SIGN ANY PETITION TO DECERTIFY THE CTT

Joining that group or signing a petition to decertify the CTT could have the following consequences:

For the rest of the story http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/it...tt-fires-back/

Last edited by andymays; 10-21-2009 at 04:26 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
andymays
Veteran

UPDATE

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

An email “WARNING” has been sent to a number of California thoroughbred trainers suggesting that serious political and financial losses would result from a new organization replacing the CTT, the organization currentlyrepresenting California thoroughbred trainers. We have determined that this “WARNING” was not a prank letter and was actually published by the CTT. California Horsemen for Change have spoken with a number of CTT directors and while these directors acknowledge that they had given approval to the publication of the “WARNING” email, such authorization was given prior to the CTT Board vote to hold new elections. It was the feeling of these directors that the intervening vote and other circumstances rendered their prior authorization null and void. This WARNING email contains a number of unsupported and intentionally misleading statements. The issuance of such inflammatory conjecture simply provides more evidence of the need for serious and committed horsemen to replace the individuals behind such “scare tactics.” The CTT Board voted for new elections. This vote was a promise by the Board to honor the requests of the many members who called for that vote. If the CTT seeks to avoid the impact of decertification, then they could hold the new elections they promised as soon as possible. Decertification is the process provided by law when members of an organization feel that they are not being properly represented and seek new representation. While it is a significant step it is not, by its very nature, a disruptive step - it is the manner prescribed by law for the orderly transition of power. Our organization has always supported new elections. The decertification process provided by the California Horse Racing Board (Rule 2040) will only be engaged if the CTT fails to honor their promise to hold new elections. California’s thoroughbred industry is primarily controlled and mismanaged by transient corporate interests who lack a continuing long-term concern for the health of our industry. The horsemen, owners, trainers, and jockeys, who have dedicated their lives to racing, have been marginalized. Important industry decisions are being made by management that has put all but one of our major racetracks on the sale block, under the wrecking ball or into bankruptcy. California Horsemen for Change is a grassroots movement committed to the revitalization of thoroughbred racing in California. California Horsemen for Change believe that first step is to bring new energies, fresh ideas, and a fierce commitment to our community of thoroughbred trainers. The current CTT Board has many well-intentioned individual members; however, as a whole they have proven unable to take decisive, pro-active steps to define, much less, promote horsemen’s interests. California Horsemen for Change invites all horsemen to join in their effort to actively support thoroughbred racing in California

Barry Abrams
A.C. Avila
Bob Baffert
Rafael Becerra
David Bernstein
Jeff Bonde
Julio Canani
Vladimir Cerin
Don Collins
Caesar Dominguez
Neil Drysdale
Peter Eurton
Greg Gilcrest
Paco Gonzalez
Robert Frankel
Mark Glatt
Mike Harrington
Bruce Headley
Jerry Hollendorfer
Mary Knight
Armando Lage
John Martin
Mike Mitchell
Jeff Mullins
Frank Monteleone
Henry Moreno
Doug O’Neill
Hector Palma
Jorge Periban
Marcelo Polanco
Mike Puype
John Sadler
Gary Sherlock
John Shirreffs*
Clifford Sise*
Walther Solis
Mel Stute
Ventura Vargas
Danny Velasquez
Darrell Vienna
Kathy Walsh
*CTT Board Member
Attached Files
File Type: pdf California%20Horse%20Change%20Release.pdf (80.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by andymays; 10-22-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
andymays
Veteran

I strongly favor the second group in post #2!

This is a perfect issue!

Time for Horseplayers to jump in and express support for this group.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
miesque

I know that you enjoy argument and confrontations for the heck of it so I am sure you must have felt Christmas had come early seeing those two CTT articles on Paulick. I on the other hand can spot a situation where sticking one's head into an argument between two unreleated parties will result in the high probability of being decapitated so I am not touching this with a ten foot pool as far as supporting either side. But you go on with your internet stirring of the pot for the sake of stirring the pot, you do a fabulous job of it.

Last edited by BillW-mod; 10-22-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: At author's request
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
I know that you enjoy argument and confrontations for the heck of it so I am sure you must have felt Christmas had come early seeing those two CTT articles on Paulick. I on the other hand can spot a situation where sticking one's head into an argument between no unreleated parties will result in the high probability of bring decapitated so I am not touching this with a ten foot pool as far as supporting either side. But you go on with your internet stirring of the pot for the sake of stirring the pot, you do a fabulous job of it.

This is where the rubber meets the road. If it were me heading an organization that represents Horseplayers I would be on the phone with some of the people involved trying to find common ground. I've heard over and over again that the Racing Executives and some Racing Officials have disrespected HANA and it's members right? You know Madeline and Barry Abrams is with the rebel group. Why don't you find out if Madeline supports the group and why? I can get the phone numbers if anyone has the good sense to maybe sieze the day!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
I know that you enjoy argument and confrontations for the heck of it so I am sure you must have felt Christmas had come early seeing those two CTT articles on Paulick. I on the other hand can spot a situation where sticking one's head into an argument between two unreleated parties will result in the high probability of being decapitated so I am not touching this with a ten foot pool as far as supporting either side. But you go on with your internet stirring of the pot for the sake of stirring the pot, you do a fabulous job of it.

Lady, why even post, then ?
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
... I on the other hand can spot a situation where sticking one's head into an argument between two unreleated parties will result in the high probability of being decapitated so I am not touching this with a ten foot pool as far as supporting either side. ...
No, what you are doing is sticking your head in the sand. Your responsibility to the membership is to communicate your best understanding of the issues involved here are, and what the impact on horseplayers would be, if any, should either group prevail.

There was no horseplayer group in existence at the time the mandate was under consideration. The only horseplayer concerns raised came from Beyer. If HANA is to have any real relevance, it has to provide some insight into what is happening here. Are modern horseplayers supposed to have influence in the industry or not?
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
No, what you are doing is sticking your head in the sand. Your responsibility to the membership is to communicate your best understanding of the issues involved here are, and what the impact on horseplayers would be, if any, should either group prevail.

There was no horseplayer group in existence at the time the mandate was under consideration. The only horseplayer concerns raised came from Beyer. If HANA is to have any real relevance, it has to provide some insight into what is happening here. Are modern horseplayers supposed to have influence in the industry or not?
This topic has been up since 4:17 PM yesterday with 405 views and a whopping 10 responses to the poll with a 7/3 negative response ratio. In other words there are three people who think horseplayers should get involved. My only error was posting a comment at all. This is a highly charged internal dispute amongst a trainer group with an attempted coup by members of that group.

Last edited by miesque; 10-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Sure they should take sides, but only if they are aware of what the issues are and how the side they support will help them in the future.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Sure they should take sides, but only if they are aware of what the issues are and how the side they support will help them in the future.

That's my point. You don't know unless you find out. It may be something or it may be nothing.

I let the appropriate parties know that they should at least ask!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
This topic has been up since 4:17 PM yesterday with 405 views and a whopping 10 responses to the poll with a 7/3 negative response ratio. In other words there are three people who think horseplayers should get involved. My only error was posting a comment at all. This is a highly charged internal dispute amongst a trainer group with an attempted coup by members of that group.

The response to the initial post was done this morning as was the poll.

The poll doesn't ask people to pick a side it asks if Horseplayers should take a side!

Your condescending comments don't add much!

Last edited by andymays; 10-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
This topic has been up since 4:17 PM yesterday and 405 views and a whopping 10 responses to the poll with a 7/3 negative response. In other words there are three people who think horseplayers should get involved. My only error was posting a comment at all. This is a highly charged internal dispute amongst a trainer group with an attempted coup by members of that group.
Has it occurred to you that people aren't voting because they don't know enough about what is happening?

Your error was WHAT you posted, not THAT you did.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
Has it occurred to you that people aren't voting because they don't know enough about what is happening?

Your error was WHAT you posted, not THAT you did.
True. I have no idea what this means (in english)
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
True. I have no idea what this means (in english)
Assuming "True" meant you agreed with one of my statements, IRU, which one didn't you understand?

If it was the latter, perhaps I should have said "Your error was WHAT you posted, not that you did [post]," but I was just so excited to find out that miesque didn't really have me on IGNORE after all.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If I have to put that much thought into it, I will just find something else to do.

I refuse to lift a finger to help this game. It is not the only one in town anymore. There are no sides, only am I having fun yet. If not, buh bye racing.
I already play about 10% what I used to, so it is not great leap to kiss this game off.