Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
andymays
Veteran

DRF: Bettors deserve more after takeout hike

Regardless of whose numbers are right, customers remain angry, and officials aren’t helping things by the way they executed the increase and have defended it.

The schedule of increases was inconsistent: no change in the rates on straight wagering, a two-point jump to unusually high 22.68 percent takeout rate on exactas and doubles, and a three-point jump on exotics. The blended rate is now similar to New York’s or Florida’s. It also didn’t help that the two ranking commissioners on the California Horse Racing Board called the old rates “underpriced” and claimed that racing needs to compete with the Lakers and Dodgers, not alternative forms of gambling with lower takeouts.

No one from the tracks or the board has explained the rationale for the nature of the increases or adopted a tone of regret about the supposed necessity of them. Asked for reaction to the situation last week, Santa Anita president George Haines said a committee was being formed to locate and hire an official spokesman on the issue.

andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Horseplayersbet.com

How about "Bettors And The Future of Horse Racing Don't Deserve A Takeout Hike"
Throwing a bone for the sake of throwing a bone is of no value. At least GP kept their blended rate the same, or actually lowered it, with the new Pick 5 bet.

Tracks have done a great job explaining their plight. That is not an issue. It is how they are trying to correct their plight that is the issue. It is completely counterproductive, and has no empirical evidence behind it.

He couldn't even link Playersboycott.org or name HANA in the article.

And who is declaring victory? I don't see anyone celebrating.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
InsideThePylons-MW

Another piece of crap from the uninspiring so-called horseplayer's friend.

How many more garbage articles like this will it take before horseplayers realize that Crist is not for anything but hearing himself ramble on and on and on?
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Bettors deserve more? What, more lube?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
He couldn't even link Playersboycott.org or name HANA in the article.
He's got a lot of nerve not doing that. He must not realize that everything revolves around HANA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW

How many more garbage articles like this will it take before horseplayers realize that Crist is not for anything but hearing himself ramble on and on and on?
Is it possible for you to be anymore jealous of Crist? No need to answer, it's rhetorical.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
jelly
Veteran

The fan groups have their heart in the right place and are correct in arguing that takeout increases are always counterproductive because they provide at best a short-term bump before the inevitable plunge due to lower churn and customer dissatisfaction.

What fan group is Crist talking about?

It’s unclear when they wanted people to send a message about the issue, what pools they were targeting, and what specific countermeasures they would like the tracks and state to consider.

Did he contact the "fan group"?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
MPRanger

"It also didn’t help that the two ranking commissioners on the California Horse Racing Board called the old rates “underpriced” and claimed that racing needs to compete with the Lakers and Dodgers, not alternative forms of gambling with lower takeouts".
-----------------------

Ok, if they want to put it like that, betting the Lakers or the Dodgers is a takeout of only 4.55%. It's the players who need the break. Not "racing".

The fans at a lakers game are not the same thing as horse players.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
Ok, if they want to put it like that, betting the Lakers or the Dodgers is a takeout of only 4.55%.
Very clever. I like that.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Seems personal to me...article didn't deserve this kind of response.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

DRF wants to claim the middle, and its probably what Crist believes. Not written to please either side, and probably succeeded. That bettors getting better served is good for everyone is a message that's "good enough".

I do agree about not linking, not mentioning. There aren't various "fan groups" up in arms about this...there aren't any "fan groups". It's kind of basic etiquette to name who you are talking about.

Quote:
He's got a lot of nerve not doing that. He must not realize that everything revolves around HANA.
Except his article did in large parts. He's obviously (to anyone already familiar with them) referring to HANA and the playersboycott. Multiple times. If you're going to include observations on someone/something in an article, mentioning the subject you are writing about is not an abnormal thing. It's very abnormal not to.

But ultimately, whatever. HANA is the group that cannot be named, for whatever reason, at DRF.

Last edited by chickenhead; 01-21-2011 at 10:23 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Seems personal to me...article didn't deserve this kind of response.
How can it be personal when I've never met him, talked to him or been in his immediate presence.

I'm sorry that I've formed my opinions by reading his crap, watching him constantly pander to who he needs to pander to and knowing what's he done when he was in a position of power.

I don't follow the sheep in the...."oh, he writes for the Racing Form"..."oh he's on TV"..."oh, he bets horses like I do"..."oh, he wrote books"....so he must be a great guy and looks out for the horseplayer opinion.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
How can it be personal when I've never met him, talked to him or been in his immediate presence.
Easily.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Easily.
I don't know how but I guess we have a different definition of the word personal.

I love Crist......He had a huge hand in making me a lot of money. Is that personal?

Because of decisions made when he was in power, he had a huge hand in starting the business of rebating and forced it to be expedited to the masses.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
But ultimately, whatever. HANA is the group that cannot be named, for whatever reason, at DRF.
Yeah that's it. DRF has something against HANA.

And I thought I was paranoid.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
jelly
Veteran

But ultimately, whatever. HANA is the group that cannot be named, for whatever reason, at DRF

Either that or poor journalism.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: