Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #31
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
GT, if banner ads were so ineffective or were so annoying, there would be
A) Laws against them
B) No one in the business of flying banners
A) There are laws against them. They can't go flying planes around just anywhere. They are barred from all sorts of places. There would never be laws just on the basis of their ineffectiveness advertising-wise, though.

B) As long as the airplane operators can make you THINK they are effective they'll be in business. Plus they do a lot of "stunts" that aren't really advertising -- marriage proposals from the sky, etc. And decades ago it was more "cool" so it has a legacy (like horse-racing does, doesn't mean it is doing well) but I do think at this point it is almost a scam. But unless someone has an airplane banner effectiveness study to point to we are all just speculating aren't we? Or maybe it is dirt cheap? It has got to cost something for one of these, right?

BTW, you are a very strong defender here -- this wasn't your doing by any chance, was it?

Last edited by GameTheory; 01-19-2011 at 01:56 PM.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
Horseplayersbet.com

GT, I appreciate inventive ways to advertise. If I thought it would help, I would use this form of advertising too. I'm pretty limited in advertising Horseplayersbet for example. Facebook won't take gambling ads, and you have to be very creative to get by the Google censors, etc.

I think when it comes to selling a product, this is not the best way to go, but when it comes to awareness of a cause, I think it is a very good way.

I'm pretty sure Playersboycott.org is behind it. I can't see any other organization paying to put Playersboycott.org (sponsored by HANA) for this ad. Can you?

Last edited by Horseplayersbet.com; 01-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
InsideThePylons-MW

Doesn't the Patriot Act or something like it outlaw stuff like this?

"Fight" and "boycott" are real close to terroristic threats which should fall under the above and also would apply to being on the no-fly list.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #34
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
I'm pretty sure Playersboycott.org is behind it. I can't see any other organization paying to put Playersboycott.org (sponsored by HANA) for this ad. Can you?
Well, Dean said they didn't know who did it, so it sounds like a mystery.

Anyone have an idea what this would cost?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
Well, Dean said they didn't know who did it, so it sounds like a mystery.

Most make you request a free quote, but I found one that charges $500 per flight (one hour) in Virginia.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #36
bigmack

Quote:
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #37
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Wouldn't bug me at all at a NASCAR event!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #38
Charli125

Quote:
Wouldn't bug me at all at a NASCAR event!
Ha, good point.

I do have to say that this is a common thing. Banners have been flown over SA before, and they'll be flown again. I don't understand the complaints that it was obtrusive since it's a common thing, and I think we should get back on point. I think back to the helicopter flying over the last BC at SA and how disruptive that was. I guarantee the banner(which has rules on how low they can go, etc.) was nowhere near as disruptive as that damn helicopter.
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #39
DJofSD
Screw PC

I wasn't at the SAX BC event, so, I don't know what the details were with the helicopter. However, when Alan Paulson was alive and living near Del Mar, it was a daily (or almost daily) occurance for his helicopter to fly over the track and to land outside the small training track on the backside. Never caused a problem that I'm aware off.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
I wasn't at the SAX BC event, so, I don't know what the details were with the helicopter. However, when Alan Paulson was alive and living near Del Mar, it was a daily (or almost daily) occurance for his helicopter to fly over the track and to land outside the small training track on the backside. Never caused a problem that I'm aware off.
I was there, about 20 rows up, about midway between the starting gate and the finish line. It was loud.
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #41
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
I was there, about 20 rows up, about midway between the starting gate and the finish line. It was loud.
A helicopter or a jet at Woodbine might be bad for the fans, but it is weird how it aint bad for the horses.

In harness racing it was commonplace for a helicopter to land in the infield when drivers had mounts at Yonkers and the Meadowlands and needed to get cross towm quickly. The same thing happens today. It has happened at tbred tracks too. The fans get a bit of a charge, but amazingly the horses seem to just go about their business.

One time at a track there was a band playing beside the track (with a full set of drums etc). That spooked them and they had to move, never to be there again, but not with helis etc.

Last edited by DeanT; 01-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #42
affirmedny

Isn't Aqueduct right next to JFK airport with jets(not prop planes) flying over all day long?

It sure looked like andymays behind the wheel of that plane to me!
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
GameTheory

Of course I may prefer a more relaxing time than some. I used to prefer SA when the horses were over at Hollywood. If I had nothing going on for a while I'd lie in the infield on a picnic blanket and take a nap or read a book...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #44
The_Knight_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny

It sure looked like andymays behind the wheel of that plane to me!

Andy is too good a pilot for that assignment.

Think he was in Foxboro on Sunday.
The_Knight_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply