Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #61
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nets........good point. But don't forget......some of those voters read this board.........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #62
Nets

So does that mean some here are campaigning ????
Nets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #63
pandy

No Way

Zenyatta has ZERO chance of winning HOY, the votes are controlled by the east coast guys and most of them didn't even vote for her last year when she won the Classic and her main competition stayed home.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #64
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets
People, people, people!!! Do you really care this much about the votes of people most of us don't know? Will a decision one way or the other change the way you feel about your favorite horse? Will it take away any of the joy or excitement that you felt during the year? Why is their opinion any more important than our own?

If in your mind Zenyatta or Blame is HOY, then she/he IS! If in your mind Zenyatta or Ruffian is the greatest female horse of all time, then she IS! Substitute any name in the above, and it's the same. Why is someone else's opinion needed to substantiate what any of us feel?

The day after the Eclipse Awards, my personal feelings will still be the same. And no Eclipse voter, or poster here at Pace Advantage, or any other site will change it.
Excellent post. Thanks for a good reminder of this reality. It makes me realize, honestly, how much I miss Rachel Alexandra, still. We do have those we care about the most, and not any voting of awards usually changes our thoughts.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #65
MNslappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Zenyatta has ZERO chance of winning HOY, the votes are controlled by the east coast guys and most of them didn't even vote for her last year when she won the Classic and her main competition stayed home.
Vote count: Rachel Alexandra, 130; Zenyatta, 99;
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #66
Indulto
Veteran

Steve R is right about “fraudulent G1s,” but Curlin lost the BC and was still voted HOY based on his victories in other North American races which arguably did not represent top competition in that year, either. I had hoped Zenyatta would win the BC and be voted HOY despite her connection’s refusal to run her at Saratoga and share her with East Coast fans in racing’s premier setting. If her trainer believed she was even better on dirt than synthetic, then the only conclusion I can draw is that they were ducking Rachel; especially since the detention barn was no longer a factor. Zenyatta, si. HOY, no.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #67
andymays
Veteran

Paulick Report » Blog Archive » Zenyatta: One of those Horses in the Sky

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ze...es-in-the-sky/

Excerpt:

Zenyatta: One of those Horses in the SkyBy E.S. “Bud” Lamoreaux III

So the anti-Zenyatta folks are beating the drums in a new version of the “Blame Game.” Quite simply, they say, she didn’t get it done for Horse of the Year.

I don’t know that much about your game, but I have spent time on the backside over the years getting to know trainers like Charlie Wittingham, Sonny Hine, and Jimmy Jones, to name-drop a few. They were all blessed with an indomitable spirit.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #68
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Paulick Report » Blog Archive » Zenyatta: One of those Horses in the Sky

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ze...es-in-the-sky/

Excerpt:

Zenyatta: One of those Horses in the SkyBy E.S. “Bud” Lamoreaux III

So the anti-Zenyatta folks are beating the drums in a new version of the “Blame Game.” Quite simply, they say, she didn’t get it done for Horse of the Year.

I don’t know that much about your game, but I have spent time on the backside over the years getting to know trainers like Charlie Wittingham, Sonny Hine, and Jimmy Jones, to name-drop a few. They were all blessed with an indomitable spirit.
Comments under the article.

Hey Bud, most people aren’t “Anti Zenyatta”. She is a great one but she isn’t HOY. People can vote for her but they should all be clear and say “Blame is really HOY but I’m voting for Zenyatta anyway”. That’s the truth. When did the truth get so inconvenient?

Her connections are all fine people but they campaigned her for runner up HOY. There were races like the Hollywood Gold Cup or the Pacific Classic that she could have run in and she wouldn’t have had to travel to do it. Her campaign was their choice and nobody elses. Playing it safe may have cost her the Breeders Cup Classic because of a lack of dirt racing experience against top competition. Again,the connections chose her path and nobody else.

Implying that Charlie Wittingham, Sonny Hine, and Jimmy Jones all would have agreed with you is really over the top. Now the connections of Blame have to contend with racing legends campainging for Zenyatta from the grave. Are you serious?

I’m all for Zenyatta receiving a special award for her contributions to the sport. She is a tremendous athlete with a tremendous personality. Why can’t Horse Racing adjust and do something they’ve never done before? Is it that hard to make an accomodation for a special circumstance?
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #69
bcgreg

And yet another opinion:

http://equinetic.wordpress.com/2010/...e-year-honors/

bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #70
andymays
Veteran

God sent Zenyatta to the perfect trainer

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseraci...s-a-great.html