Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
menifee

Bizarre ride at PID. Race 7 - July 11.

Watch the jockey on the 8. Can take the winner anytime he wants. Keeps him hemmed in behind him the whole time during the stretch run. Looks like he did not want to win the race.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
jimmyb

I agree, it was a BS ride. The rider of the 8 had a lot of horse.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
luisbe

Now check carefully Mario Pino on number 2 at 29-1 in the 8th.
What do you think?
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe View Post
What do you think?
Looks like he strangled his mount out of the gate. Was second going into the stretch and never touched him, never tried.

Monkey business. I'll be staying away from PID.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee View Post
Watch the jockey on the 8. Can take the winner anytime he wants. Keeps him hemmed in behind him the whole time during the stretch run. Looks like he did not want to win the race.
That was at least questionable, if not flat out cheating.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe View Post
What do you think?
Coming around the turn you would think you would see the jock pumping his arms more and going to the whip. He never did either, but can't tell if he was just out of horse or not. but it looks like he gave no effort.

I don't bet PA racing even though I will be owning a few PA bred foals in 2 years. Have part share of 3 mares in foal.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
redlandb

I wasn't playing the race, but just watched the replay... Pure Horseshit!!!
redlandb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Hambletonian

Wow.

He was coasting, hands were motionless, to the top of the stretch. Then he drafts behind the leader while giving a few token smacks with the whip, bit making no effort to change lanes. Then, very late in the stretch he swings out and starts vigorously working on the horse to make it look good, then stops right before the wire as if he realized he might be cutting it too close.

I am very dubious about most threads that complain about jockey's intents...but I really would love for someone to explain just what exactly was going on here. There does not appear to be a rational explanation as to what his thought process was unless it was to finish second at all costs.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Be careful guys. Whodoyoulike (a non bettor) is going to tell you you're being paranoid.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Shame on both

Pino's horse was keen to run....... they had 29-1 what price did they want?

See em here

http://www.presqueisledowns.com/raci...-event-replays
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

that is a tough loss to swallow, iws

here are some of my notes from watching the race:

• the jockey (Feliciano) seemed determined at the head of the stretch to pass inside of the lead horse (Brave Act) when getting clear was simple enough.

• the horse (Hopehard) & jockey between them were painfully slow and indecisive to redirect their path to the outside in the stretch run.

• the winning jockey (Rivera) did some very good race-riding to cut off his opponents path; although his horse maybe have been drifting to some extent, i'll give him credit.
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
airford1

And we keep playing. This type of non-racing is why you can't handicap exacta's, Tri's and Supers. Been that way for awhile at ALL tracks.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee View Post

I see what you saw. But what you saw was IMO not the intent of the rider.
I came to this conclusion based on the two replays views provided by Ralph's link.

When watching the pan version replay look at the inside rein of the 8 horse at the :58 mark through the 1:00 mark, or until you lose the angle that allows you to see the inside rein. You will see the inside rein loose with no pressure on the inside of the horses mouth.

Then wait until 1:05 or as soon as you can see the outside rein and you will see the rein very tight with a lot of pressure on the outside of the horses mouth. This was consistent during the 5 seconds that there was no clear view of the reins but a clear view of the riders hands that did not change other than to draw the stick which he draws left handed so he has a little help getting the horse off the fence and because the rider has all his pressure on the right rein meaning he cannot possibly draw the stick with his right hand .This lasts until about 1:18 when the rider finally gets the horse off the fence.

(I am not sure of this next paragraph as both views make it tough to see for sure but what I think I see and what is very consistent with what riders do as a last resort is that they take the whip and lightly brush the left side of the horses mouth where the bit is. Sometimes that will help to get the horse to unlock their teeth so as to straighten out. Or after a light swipe, they just place the popper end of the stick directly on to the mouth at the bit. Not to hit them but to make them feel it and realize what might come next. I think the rider does that but it is not clear. However, just as that swipe of the stick happens and the stick is seemingly laying on the horses mouth, the horse stops lugging in badly so I assume what I think I see is exactly what I described . (I mean, hey, something got the horse to let off the left part of the rein right?)
Look for this action to occur on the head on view between about :57 thru about 1:05 especially 1:02 and 1:03 and 1:04.
Back to the analysis:

The outside rein becomes less tight . That is the rider finally getting to ride the horse forward. And the inside rein is now the same slightly less tight that places the bit in the back of the horses mouth so the horse will grab it equally and go. And yes, the rider does grab the horse again a jump or two before the wire but the head on replay will show that the horse is lugging in again the gap between has gone from 3 feet to 1 1/2 feet or thereabouts. In actuality the winner is coming over on the 8 more than the other way around but the 8 has reestablished a grip on the inside of the bit with the left part of the horses jaw instead of an even grip .

So, from all that I saw, this was on the horse, not the rider.
Hope this helps.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post

So, from all that I saw, this was on the horse, not the rider.
Hope this helps.
I agree with you.

The horse wasn't gaining ground on the leader after the top of the stretch even though the rider was trying and only gained ground when the leader started tiring.

Good eye.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

So, your position is that he was trying to get that horse to move out, but the horse wouldn't?