Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-20-2022, 12:32 PM   #1
Sparky13

Question FD Racing?

In the DRF for today AM Simulcast edition is FD Racing. Where is this track located? First time seeing it in the DRF. Thanks?
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
Bennie

Illinois - I believe used to be Fairmount.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13 View Post
In the DRF for today AM Simulcast edition is FD Racing. Where is this track located? First time seeing it in the DRF. Thanks?
And, maybe unless you're right there in that SW Illinois area, probably the only time you'll see it in the DRF until next year at this time. It's St. Louis Derby day - FanDuel (Fairmount's) one big stakes race!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #4
ranchwest

The track code is FAN.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
In my data the track code for all data files, result files, running lines, workouts, and stats for rider-trainer-sire-damssire-post position, etc. has always been and will continue to be FPK.

Why?

The races and workouts have always been and continue to be conducted at Fairmont Park.

Management/ownership is more than welcome to rename their track as they see fit.

Fyi, adding the name FanDuel to the brand is just fine with me.

But the minute Equibase goes along with management/ownership and introduces a track code change to the data:

They are literally opening up a can of worms when it comes to data integrity.

It's one of those 1,000 paper cut things I really wish Equibase would stop doing.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-20-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
In my data the track code for all data files, result files, running lines, workouts, and stats for rider-trainer-sire-damssire-post position, etc. has always been and will continue to be FPK.

Why?

The races and workouts have always been and continue to be conducted at Fairmont Park.

Management/ownership is more than welcome to rename their track as they see fit.

But the minute Equibase goes along with management/ownership and introduces a track code change to the data:

It's one of those 1,000 paper cut things I really wish Equibase would stop doing.

-jp

Interesting. BRIS is using FAN. Conversely, they still use IND despite a partial name change.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
ranchwest

Jeff, just out of curiosity... does anything in your software convert the track code to the currently used name? Not that it makes a big difference. Just wondering. In my personal software, I display the name at the bottom of my display.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'll display the track code on reports and pps.

The one thing track name related I do have to check at the start of each new meet is the track_name entry stored in one of my tables for purposes of parsing the Equibase Scratches and Changes XML for each track.

Equibase seems to change the track_name in the xml every time a track changes its name.

Another of those 1,000 paper cut things that need to be handled.

Imo, maintaining data integrity would be so much easier if every track were issued a genuine unique identifier (a text code, a number, it really doesn't matter) that stays the same unless a track is torn down and rebuilt from the ground up (for example River Downs and Belterra Park.)

clickable thumbnails below showing track_name Horseshoe Indianapolis

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrackAbrevHorsehoeIndianapolis.JPG (30.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg XMLHorsehoeIndianapolis.JPG (78.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-20-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #9
MJC922

You and I are totally on the same page. The FanDuel change infuriated me. I was missing many chart downloads and many PP lines when they changed this over. As a result I'm sure I lost some subscribers before I finally got things in order again. There are a number of occasions where issues with data integrity cause incredible headaches. I could go on but I'll spare everyone.

Quote:

Why?

-jp

Old 08-20-2022, 10:09 PM   #10
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky13 View Post
Wonder what Fan Duel had to pay DRF to include their pps in today's edition.

Don't think it's out of good will.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2022, 12:16 AM   #11
ranchwest

Quote:
I'll display the track code on reports and pps.

The one thing track name related I do have to check at the start of each new meet is the track_name entry stored in one of my tables for purposes of parsing the Equibase Scratches and Changes XML for each track.

Equibase seems to change the track_name in the xml every time a track changes its name.

Another of those 1,000 paper cut things that need to be handled.

Imo, maintaining data integrity would be so much easier if every track were issued a genuine unique identifier (a text code, a number, it really doesn't matter) that stays the same unless a track is torn down and rebuilt from the ground up (for example River Downs and Belterra Park.)

clickable thumbnails below showing track_name Horseshoe Indianapolis

-jp

I hear you. I once programmed for a company that produced DOS software. They had a data normalization issue similar to this for their product tracking. When they changed to Windows, each type of program could have sub-types and that messed with their lack of normalization. I had warned of the issue for the year I had been there. I had to completely re-design the product tracking software... like yesterday. It was a mess. People who don't understand data don't get it.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Interesting. BRIS is using FAN. Conversely, they still use IND despite a partial name change.
The official code was changed to FAN by Equibase, presumably at the request of the track. I would assumed Horseshoe Indy didn't request a new code or that would have changed as well.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #13
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The official code was changed to FAN by Equibase, presumably at the request of the track. I would assumed Horseshoe Indy didn't request a new code or that would have changed as well.
That's likely true. But, as Jeff pointed out, the track code should never change. There probably should be a track name associated with each track code. For my personal software, I have a table of track code, track name, country and takeout. But, for track code, I am at the mercy of my data supplier, BRIS.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:52 AM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
That's likely true. But, as Jeff pointed out, the track code should never change. There probably should be a track name associated with each track code. For my personal software, I have a table of track code, track name, country and takeout. But, for track code, I am at the mercy of my data supplier, BRIS.
I agree with that, but we have no say in it so just have to roll with the punches. This was in the "Belmont at Aqueduct" thread as well, since the races will be run at Aqueduct but won't use the AQU code. It will be BAQ.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2022, 01:50 AM   #15
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I agree with that, but we have no say in it so just have to roll with the punches. This was in the "Belmont at Aqueduct" thread as well, since the races will be run at Aqueduct but won't use the AQU code. It will be BAQ.
I think that was the way Oak Tree was handled, too. Anything to complicate handicapping and recognize the money interests.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: