Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wow!
Illegal shoes was a big scandal at NYRA years ago.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...n-on-toe-grabs

Last edited by Tom; 10-04-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #17
metro

Somewhat lost in the two controversies of the Lukas Classic is how well Rich Strike, to most a one hit wonder soon to be forgotten Derby winner, performed against his elders. If he's taking one of the best 4 year olds to the wire what does that say about Epicenter's chances in the BC Classic?
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 11:30 AM   #18
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Somewhat lost in the two controversies of the Lukas Classic is how well Rich Strike, to most a one hit wonder soon to be forgotten Derby winner, performed against his elders. If he's taking one of the best 4 year olds to the wire what does that say about Epicenter's chances in the BC Classic?
He ran tremendous, the track was pretty fair shaded slightly inside saturday. He was closer to the pace, because he had to be, and still finished meaning he did not need the race to fall apart to run well. He was wide as well against that track.

He paired back the Travers in my book which shows improvement.

He seems like a horse for course but at a big number he could get into the tri in the classic.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Sometimes good horses get perfect trips. That doesn't mean they aren't good.

Even if a horse gets a perfect trip, it still has to have enough ability to take advantage of it. There were other good horses in the Derby that got the same good setup that finished behind him.

The real question for me was whether he would continue moving forward or whether the other 3yos would move past him. He seems to be inching forward, but I think Epicenter and Taiba are moving forward faster.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Rich Strike is Kentucky's Easy Goer.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #21
MJC922

I'm probably wrong but I still see Rich Strike as a grade three caliber horse at the moment. Let's keep in mind HRC is very talented and IMO the better of the two but he's also more than willing to hold the door open for anyone in the vicinity.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I'm probably wrong but I still see Rich Strike as a grade three caliber horse at the moment. Let's keep in mind HRC is very talented and IMO the better of the two but he's also more than willing to hold the door open for anyone in the vicinity.
maybe, then again he won a grade 1, ran well in another, and then was a whisker from winning a grade 2 against older.

I am probably with you on overall talent but races are races.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #23
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
maybe, then again he won a grade 1, ran well in another, and then was a whisker from winning a grade 2 against older.

At the very least, he has proven his KY Derby win was no fluke.

He was as good as Cyber and Zandon in the Travers, and was arguably the best horse in the Lukas against elders.

He is a pretty damn good horse. Is he a top end G1 type talent? No. But on a given day like Giacomo, Mine That Bird, and many others, he is good enough to get it done when things go his way.

Somebody else said it in this thread in that he is an interesting commodity in the exotics wagers of Tris/Supers. I have little doubt he'll be coming from way back per his norm in that race and likely passing some chasers. Heck, 2nd place might get beat by a dozen lengths. Why not RS?
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #24
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

I brought up the horse's record to look at his numbers, if I recall the Derby was a 6 or thereabouts initially, now it's showing up bit better down to a 5.5 which is the Grade 1 par on my numbers but that race also disintegrated so I was shading him a point for that just because. After that a huge bounce to a 12 and now he has worked his way back from it each race to a 7.75 last time, so if he is legit he could come back to let's say a 6. Running a 6 is legitimate Grade 2 but I do believe like many off the pace runners he needs things to go in his favor and on top of that needs to sustain his level of effort if / when he ever gets back to that 5-6 range. HRC can do better than a 7 so he's just showing us hit the brakes when he's supposed to go on with it, like the rider showed after the race motioning hit the brakes. Indications are that it was not all that fast of a race IMO. Now next race HRC might run a 4 or a 5 in a significantly faster race than this was, but he'll probably be runner up or show spot, that's how he tends to roll.

Last edited by MJC922; 10-06-2022 at 05:50 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
At the very least, he has proven his KY Derby win was no fluke.

He was as good as Cyber and Zandon in the Travers, and was arguably the best horse in the Lukas against elders.

He is a pretty damn good horse. Is he a top end G1 type talent? No. But on a given day like Giacomo, Mine That Bird, and many others, he is good enough to get it done when things go his way.

Somebody else said it in this thread in that he is an interesting commodity in the exotics wagers of Tris/Supers. I have little doubt he'll be coming from way back per his norm in that race and likely passing some chasers. Heck, 2nd place might get beat by a dozen lengths. Why not RS?
Yup, he is a horse who needs things to go well, and likely his surfaces, to perform his best, that makes him like most horses.

The great horses can overcome those obstacles.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: