Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #31
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Can't we find a way to blame NYRA itself for the price of gasoline?
Gas stations were forced to raise the price of gas because of the short fields in stake races!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2022, 04:02 PM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Gas stations were forced to raise the price of gas because of the short fields in stake races!
The $11 beers have nothing to do with it
Old 06-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #33
judehaz

I think this does bring up an interesting point. I was an econ major in college, and one of the funny things about people is their individual utility function. A utility function basically represents how much satisfaction you receive from consumption. This is a mass oversimplification, but here's an example...

I used to NEVER buy the clubhouse exchange at Saratoga. I'm thinking, I get to roam the grounds, see the people, what's the point of paying "extra" for the clubhouse. As I got older, I realized I'm paying maybe $10 to park in someone's yard (or $30+ to Uber to the track), how much in ice, beer, food, etc., extra for the DRF program, and have probably dropped $50 by the first few races in bets.

So yeah, I decided the extra few bucks to have less, and generally more well behaved, people around and stand in the Jim Dandy in front of a fan every so often is a good deal.

But there are some people who will park downtown and walk a mile to the track to save on the cost of parking, then drop $20 on the first race. People are weird.

Man, I can't wait for Saratoga...

Last edited by judehaz; 06-22-2022 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #34
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I got the response I was expecting and at least you are consistent. I guess on track attendance is not important as long as NYRA is making its money. Forget about all the other connections...to the food truck workers and waitstaff counting on tips...there is a domino effect..I could go on and on.
I think they are nicely trying to say you are nit picking. I don’t work for NYRA or the track but I’m there at least 30 of the 40 days. Last year I couldn’t tell the difference between that year and any other year. Yeah, they were short some food service but the food there isn’t really a highlight for me. As for tellers. People that really bet regularly don’t really need them.

Finally, people that love Saratoga and racing for the most part are not going to abandon it for 10 or 20 bucks. Maybe a few family types will or cut back . But the regular customer makes it a point of being here. There’s people that wait all summer for opening day! I don’t see there being a dent in attendance or handle unless the weather is unbearable. People think everyone travels from far away. And many do. But the Capital District and surrounding areas around here contributes greatly. The local contingent will probably be in full force. Will a few people cut back? Possibly. But the business owners around here are already jacked up and predicting another banner year.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #35
classhandicapper

There are a lot of moving parts in handle, but there has to be some correlation to economic activity. If food, gasoline, other energy, interest payments on loans etc.. are all going up and the market is going down, for many people that means there's less money available for other things. How much of that comes out of vacationing in Saratoga, handle, etc.. is anyone's guess. But it can't be zero. To be clear, handle could be up anyway, but less than it otherwise would have been. I don't think it's knowable.

I think we are too close to Saratoga now to worry about jobs. But if (or should I say when) the current tightening starts impacting economic activity enough to cause job losses, that will also be a factor. Maybe that will hit Belmont fall or AQU winter, but that's a guess. I can't predict the Fed's moves. I can only predict they will screw it up.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #36
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I think they are nicely trying to say you are nit picking. I don’t work for NYRA or the track but I’m there at least 30 of the 40 days. Last year I couldn’t tell the difference between that year and any other year. Yeah, they were short some food service but the food there isn’t really a highlight for me. As for tellers. People that really bet regularly don’t really need them.

Finally, people that love Saratoga and racing for the most part are not going to abandon it for 10 or 20 bucks. Maybe a few family types will or cut back . But the regular customer makes it a point of being here. There’s people that wait all summer for opening day! I don’t see there being a dent in attendance or handle unless the weather is unbearable. People think everyone travels from far away. And many do. But the Capital District and surrounding areas around here contributes greatly. The local contingent will probably be in full force. Will a few people cut back? Possibly. But the business owners around here are already jacked up and predicting another banner year.
I agree with most of what you are saying. I’m not nit picking because all I did was ask a question and offer a possible remedy to mitigate what could happen. I based it on history....especially Toga 2005...even though things are far worse off now economy wise. The loss could be as low as 3-5% of on track attendance not counting weather. Like I said I hope Saratoga has a banner year but with things like this you need to be proactive. They have history to go by. I’m calling it now...Saratoga will have some type of promotion based on the current price of gas which by the way could be up to 7.00 a gallon by August. Hopefully not. Typically Saratoga can take attendance for granted as it’s a special place to be...this year will be different. Best wishes for a huge season at the track Burnsy!
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 12:13 AM   #37
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Can't we find a way to blame NYRA itself for the price of gasoline?
Old 06-23-2022, 12:51 AM   #38
Suff
Beat up 💪

Random toga last year

Third floor. TURF CLUB TERRACE. vip, big shots, fancy people.

I have coffee & 420 up here, 7am. Watch some workouts. The floor creeks like an old attic. Not a little, every step is creek, creek creek. 😆

Me hanging @ Siros w/smoke show after races.

Information

Old 06-23-2022, 03:31 AM   #39
Suff
Beat up 💪

Copper

Looking out of Turf Club , a good look at the Copper roofing on the new 1863 clubhouse.

There's another level hidden up here.

You see it up in the top left of this image.

White glove full dining up here. Waiters in tuxedos, champagne table service. New Yorkers know how to do this shit well.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #40
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post

But there are some people who will park downtown and walk a mile to the track to save on the cost of parking, then drop $20 on the first race. People are weird.
we just park in the back for free and school bus it in, easy exit too.

do they still have that service, they did the last time i was there. (pre covid)

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #41
burnsy
self medicated

I park on Fifth ave , Madison ave or Ludlow for free every day! The year I had a parking pass was freaking Covid! But I never pay. My cooler has wheels! I buy a Club House pass every year. There are ways! Just use your head.

See Suff knows where it’s at! See you August ! Spleef!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #42
andicap

This has nothing to do with gas prices, but about 20 years ago I'm at Saratoga the same time as a certain music festival was going on. I'm walking into the track along one of the side streets; a car sidles up next to me and the driver asks, "Is this Woodstock?"

Last edited by andicap; 06-23-2022 at 10:41 AM.
andicap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
That's the spirit!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: