Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: What is your primary handicapping method?
Poll Options
What is your primary handicapping method?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #256
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

"Regression analysis" as it applies to selecting the winner of a horse race--

how is that not essentially just a fancy term for "back-fitting"?

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 05-24-2019 at 09:46 PM.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #257
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
"Regression analysis" as it applies to selecting the winner of a horse race--

how is that not essentially just a fancy term for "back-fitting"?
Good point.

I guess it does a better of finding the right weight for each factor than trial and error.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #258
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Wikipedia - Regression analysis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_analysis

Quote:
In statistical modeling, regression analysis is a set of statistical processes for estimating the relationships among variables.
Imo, the sentence at the very top of the Wikipedia page on regression analysis says a lot.

-jp

Old 05-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #259
headhawg
crusty old guy

Any type of analysis using past performance data is "back-fitting" to one degree or another, including old school pen-and-paper handicapping. There are many different kinds of regression techniques; choosing the one most appropriate to handicapping or a specific analysis type would obviously be of primary importance. That and using different samples for finding factor weights and then testing the algorithm(s) going "forward".
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #260
bpiets
Veteran

Alas.... if only they would tell folks how many strides each horse made in every race....now that would be an add on worth knowing and also the individual horses weight after and before each race......
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #261
reckless
Veteran

There is a way to determine lengths per second.

There is also a way, as many on here know, how to determine feet per second.

A happy medium could be found doing both type of analysis, imo.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #262
Appy

Apologies for interrupting the cycle here, but after going through all the many pages on this thread I feel compelled to say I REALLY miss Raybo and his contributions.

I'm a combo style. I use my computer as a starting point to construct my multi-factor pen and paper playsheet.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #263
jk3521
Registered Loser

Goodbye software

I can't recall the exact date,around 1998 maybe, is when I started using software in my handicapping. Probably one of the worst decisions I ever made. Before that time ,doing it my own way through simple deductions, i had much more success. Lately,I've decided to delete all of my software and go back to my old ways. With the state of horse racing in this country,it's probably too late, but it's the way I feel more comfortable now. Now, I skip races. Using software, i was afraid that I might miss a winning selection and bet more races, races I never would bet on my own. Goodbye software.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #264
SmoothJazz98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
With the state of horse racing in this country,it's probably too late, but it's the way I feel more comfortable now. Now, I skip races. Using software, i was afraid that I might miss a winning selection and bet more races, races I never would bet on my own. Goodbye software.
Why do you say that? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
SmoothJazz98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #265
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
I can't recall the exact date,around 1998 maybe, is when I started using software in my handicapping. Probably one of the worst decisions I ever made. Before that time ,doing it my own way through simple deductions, i had much more success. Lately,I've decided to delete all of my software and go back to my old ways. With the state of horse racing in this country,it's probably too late, but it's the way I feel more comfortable now. Now, I skip races. Using software, i was afraid that I might miss a winning selection and bet more races, races I never would bet on my own. Goodbye software.
Wait till you buy that Racing Form that you were so used to....
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #266
flatstats

Back-fitting is pure evil.

The vast majority of computer handicappers do it because they get a buzz off it. Two buzzes in fact.

The first buzz is the unbelievable success: a ridiculous strike rate and ROI such as 40% and 150% respectively. The second buzz is adjusting the method to make those results even better either if, or not big losses have occurred.

The truth is: back-fitting is shooting an arrow at a tree and painting a target around where the arrow landed. This is so wrong and yet so many handicappers believe it is the path to riches.

This has gone on for decades and computer handicapping tools have exacerbated the problem.

If you want to avoid back-fitting then only include a filter / method / system rule if it can be justified. Why is it that A Trainer is good in claiming sprints, why is it that B Jockey is good with favourites in the summer months? Think about it first and justify it else reject it.

And make sure you have adequate sample sizes and definitely sandbox the method and use stats to check if the results (pre and post system) are likely to be due to chance or not.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #267
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstats View Post
Back-fitting is pure evil.

The vast majority of computer handicappers do it because they get a buzz off it. Two buzzes in fact.

The first buzz is the unbelievable success: a ridiculous strike rate and ROI such as 40% and 150% respectively. The second buzz is adjusting the method to make those results even better either if, or not big losses have occurred.

The truth is: back-fitting is shooting an arrow at a tree and painting a target around where the arrow landed. This is so wrong and yet so many handicappers believe it is the path to riches.

This has gone on for decades and computer handicapping tools have exacerbated the problem.

If you want to avoid back-fitting then only include a filter / method / system rule if it can be justified. Why is it that A Trainer is good in claiming sprints, why is it that B Jockey is good with favourites in the summer months? Think about it first and justify it else reject it.

And make sure you have adequate sample sizes and definitely sandbox the method and use stats to check if the results (pre and post system) are likely to be due to chance or not.
Let me ask you this....

Suppose you have a set of 100 factors.....and 3 years back data

Say you use Excel's Correlation & Regression Analysis.....

Break data by 2016 2017 2018......

and the same top 10 factors are significant for each year....

What would you do for 2019?

Would that be back-fitting or deductive reasoning ?

Last edited by mikesal57; 09-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #268
flatstats

I would sandbox it until 2020 or 2021. I would wait until the number of *live* runners (and the odds of those runners) was sufficient to decide if it was worth following or not. That process would help in not being dazzled by iron pyrite.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #269
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstats View Post
I would sandbox it until 2020 or 2021. I would wait until the number of *live* runners (and the odds of those runners) was sufficient to decide if it was worth following or not. That process would help in not being dazzled by iron pyrite.
I could be dead by then
Old 09-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #270
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Let me ask you this....

Suppose you have a set of 100 factors.....and 3 years back data

Say you use Excel's Correlation & Regression Analysis.....

Break data by 2016 2017 2018......

and the same top 10 factors are significant for each year....

What would you do for 2019?

Would that be back-fitting or deductive reasoning ?

Regression Analysis is overrated, reading the form like a trainer and knowing moves other trainers in the circuit you play will payoff when you know when to ignore the computer at the right times. The real problem is value and being able to say this is not the one (race).
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply