Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 03:30 AM   #16
cato
Irrationally exuberant

SO CHUCKSTER! Take the money ASAP.

If they ever run the tournament you can take that $$ and enter the tournament. Trust me, they are not going to sell out the tournament and you'll be able to get a slot if you want one.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #17
turfeyejoe

DRF tournaments

I noticed there are no more DRF tournaments listed on the schedule. So apparently they have stopped collecting fees from people for a championship that will never take place.
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
classhandicapper

https://www.drf.com/tournament-inquiries
Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
Si2see

I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but I can tell you without a doubt from first hand experience they experienced site problems when entering picks. It literally cost me the monmouth package. If anyone is interested I can type out the exact scenario.

It's a shame another tournament site is gone Except for HT and HP, DW is the only one with a fighting chance but they need support from the players, especially with their limited track selection after the lawsuit.
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
classhandicapper

I am out of the loop these days, but my best guess is that the environment has changed and there are legal hurdles.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #21
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster1968 View Post
Still holding tourneys, makes no sense.
My main thoughts are I hope you took the money like I recommended, but you have my sympathy because you were acting in good faith not realizing you were dealing with something about to collapse.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
Parkview_Pirate

I've received a SPAMSTORM of emails from DRF in the past week, in spite of unsubscribing from everything. Today's emailS included one for 75% off ALL books and DVDs through May 19th.

Smells like a business on the brink of going under....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I've received a SPAMSTORM of emails from DRF in the past week, in spite of unsubscribing from everything. Today's emailS included one for 75% off ALL books and DVDs through May 19th.

Smells like a business on the brink of going under....
That is a huge leap there.

Last edited by cj; 05-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #24
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That is a huge leap there.
Won't argue the idea that the DRF is going under is a "leap", but offering your products at a 75% discount, discontinuing the online contests, and launching an all out junk mail campaign (and having subscription options reset to request more emails which I discovered tonight) are all, IMHO, markers for a business that's not healthy.

DRF hardly has the greatest customer service, either. There seems to be very little indication the customer experience is improving.

Many print publishers have gone under, and it remains to be seen if DRF's transition to the digital model will survive. The quality of their news stories are nothing close to the product a couple of decades ago. Being a betting man, I would wager they are on the cusp of going under or being sold/(bought out).

CJ, it's just my opinion that if DRF was a publicly traded company, the ratings firms would have more "sells" than "buys".

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 05-16-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Won't argue the idea that the DRF is going under is a "leap", but offering your products at a 75% discount, discontinuing the online contests, and launching an all out junk mail campaign (and having subscription options reset to request more emails which I discovered tonight) are all, IMHO, markers for a business that's not healthy.

DRF hardly has the greatest customer service, either. There seems to be very little indication the customer experience is improving.

Many print publishers have gone under, and it remains to be seen if DRF's transition to the digital model will survive. The quality of their news stories are nothing close to the product a couple of decades ago. Being a betting man, I would wager they are on the cusp of going under or being sold/(bought out).

CJ, it's just my opinion that if DRF was a publicly traded company, the ratings firms would have more "sells" than "buys".
I was just commenting on the books discount. I work for DRF so obviously I'm a little biased. In this case, it is a clearance sale. I think you were reading too much into that. Businesses have clearance sales all the time. Hell, that is 80% of my wardrobe. It is also a similar percentage of my book collection.

Last edited by cj; 05-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #26
thaskalos

Quote:

If the DRF were a publicly traded company...it would have been a penny-stock. And the rating firms don't deal with penny stocks.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
classhandicapper

I probably shouldn't comment because I'm a former employee that still has many friends there, but I don't think this one will get me into any trouble because everyone there already knows what I think anyway.

DRF belongs in the hands of people that know racing and that love and want to improve the sport. There are dozens of employees like that, but the rotating ownership of financially driven people has not been a positive IMHO.

Some good books are available cheap though.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I probably shouldn't comment because I'm a former employee that still has many friends there, but I don't think this one will get me into any trouble because everyone there already knows what I think anyway.

DRF belongs in the hands of people that know racing and that love and want to improve the sport. There are dozens of employees like that, but the rotating ownership of financially driven people has not been a positive IMHO.

Some good books are available cheap though.
Where? I logged onto their website...and the books are selling at the regular price. Could it be that they know that I've been trashing them on this site?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Where? I logged onto their website...and the books are selling at the regular price. Could it be that they know that I've been trashing them on this site?
You have to put in the code, coupon code "Books". It works.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...43#post2467443

Last edited by cj; 05-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
They know you can afford it. There are Thaskalos prices and then prices for the rest of us plebes.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply