Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Iran DOESN'T have access to the American Financial System.

That example I gave is a time Obama tried to give them access and was denied by two banks.

Your flip the switch on and off is exactly what they tried there. He was castigated for attempting to grant Iranians access to the American financial system in that instance. Now though instead of a plane full of cash we should coordinate with the Iranian Central Bank and the Federal Reserve... same outcry...

A plane full of cash is just easier.
No it's not easier.

How about what boxcar said. Why not just go through the federal reserve. Tell me why that can't happen, if no "regular banks" would touch it...

Why couldn't the Federal Reserve wire them the money.

What outcry? Who would outcry?

Nobody would outcry over sending them tons of cash and spending a shitload of tax dollars to do so? not that i really care about the tax dollars...but it's the principal of the thing...especially if you're trying to avoid an "outcry?"

This whole thing makes ZERO sense. You guys aren't helping me at all.

Dive deeper.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-29-2018 at 01:24 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
chadk66

Only the most gullible people on the planet buy that wire transfer bullshit story
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
No it's not easier.

How about what boxcar said. Why not just go through the federal reserve. Tell me why that can't happen, if no "regular banks" would touch it...

Why couldn't the Federal Reserve wire them the money.
Because the Federal Reserve doesn't have a relationship with the Iranian Central Bank... Nor did anybody else!

Also they weren't given dollars... as the Iranians wouldn't be able to exchange them. They were given Swiss Francs and Euros.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #19
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
Only the most gullible people on the planet buy that wire transfer bullshit story
Or a guy who works in finance and deals with wires on the daily...

Every single step of how this occurred is easily verifiable but people can't get over the cloak and dagger plane full of cash.

We settled a dispute with the Iranians. We gave them their money back. Who gives a shit how we paid them?

Conspiracy Theorists.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 08-29-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Because the Federal Reserve doesn't have a relationship with the Iranian Central Bank... Nor did anybody else!

Also they weren't given dollars... as the Iranians wouldn't be able to exchange them. They were given Swiss Francs and Euros.
Like I said already, biggest, baddest MOFOs ever...the U.S.of.A....can't find a way to let the Fed and the Iranian Central Bank communicate for this one transaction...they were giving them the money...that's the important part...they were GIVING THEM THE MONEY.

How they gave it to them, as you say, shouldn't be that important as the fact THEY ARE GIVING IT TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So why, oh why, would it be MORE DIFFICULT to get the Fed to wire it to Iran, as opposed to going through the MASSIVE TROUBLE it must have been to get all that foreign currency, load it onto a plane or planes or helicopters or whatever the **** they used, and air drop it over there or wherever they ended up landing it to deliver somehow.

Do you not agree it would have been infinitely EASIER to figure out SOME WAY to wire them all of that money? I know you know the answer is yes.

So I'll ask again...why didn't we?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
My post on the first page didn't answer that?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
chadk66

They sent cash hoping it didn’t leave a trail for anybody to follow. Not hard to understand
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

So, in other words, Obama had to make an end-run around existing sanctions/laws/however you want to term it.

I'm sure there is more to the story, but we'll leave it at that for now.

But the wire transfer thing was a BIG NO NO...

I mean, if you're going to flaunt sanctions in the name of getting things done, how big of a deal could it have been to tell the Treasury Dept and the Fed to make it happen via wire transfer.

You can't wire someone funds in their home currency?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #24
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Like I said already, biggest, baddest MOFOs ever...the U.S.of.A....can't find a way to let the Fed and the Iranian Central Bank communicate for this one transaction...they were giving them the money...that's the important part...they were GIVING THEM THE MONEY.

How they gave it to them, as you say, shouldn't be that important as the fact THEY ARE GIVING IT TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So why, oh why, would it be MORE DIFFICULT to get the Fed to wire it to Iran, as opposed to going through the MASSIVE TROUBLE it must have been to get all that foreign currency, load it onto a plane or planes or helicopters or whatever the **** they used, and air drop it over there or wherever they ended up landing it to deliver somehow.

Do you not agree it would have been infinitely EASIER to figure out SOME WAY to wire them all of that money? I know you know the answer is yes.

Because wire's require both parties in the transaction. They have to be verifiable and there has to be a paper trail or they are completely useless. It would have required flying official from the Fed to Iran. Setting up the proper programs/software/protocols for sending a wire. Allowing the wire to be able to be seen by the Iranian Central Bank and the policy and procedure for accepting it.

The systems on both ends would have to have been integrated.

I guess you're right if there was a high enough level of trust we could've just withdrawn some money from the fed... burnt it out back... then called the supreme leader and told him to put a 4 with a bunch of zeroes in his account.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 08-29-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
elysiantraveller

Quote:
So, in other words, Obama had to make an end-run around existing sanctions/laws/however you want to term it.

I mean, if you're going to flaunt sanctions in the name of getting things done, how big of a deal could it have been to tell the Treasury Dept and the Fed to make it happen via wire transfer.

You can't wire funds to someone who has no way of receiving it. Conversation could have gone like this:

"Mr. President we need to pay the Iranians their settlement."

"Okay set up a wire."

"That's going to take some time."

"Okay, hell with it just send them some cash..."

But I'm sure its something much more sinister...

I just don't understand why people are hung up on the fact it was cash. Not even our cash. We know the reason for the payment so who really gives a shit... I still don't understand it.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #26
boxcar

Quote:

Most especially if the order to transfer came directly from BO himself. Who would deny him? Who? Who in his right mind would have disregarded a direct order from that narcissistic megalomaniac? If Holder, by his own admission, was BO's "wing man" -- always having BO's back, then how much more everyone on lower rungs of the ladder?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:

Foreigners LOVE American cash.Fungible and accepted just about everywhere.The American dollar is the only official currency of El Salvador and Ecuador and several other tiny nations.

Credit? Wire transfers? American.

Cash? Everybody else.Go to Europe, Japan.Outside the tourist areas, credit cards aren't widely accepted.

Q. The percentage in dollar value of United States banknotes that are located outside the United States? (according to the Federal Reserve)

A, 60 % (500 billion), yep most of our physical paper money is outside our borders.

I would say this was a condition of the negotiations from the Iranians.Maybe the United States got a discount for cash, like the gas stations.

See, Obama tried to save the American taxpayer some money and you don't even appreciate it.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #28
OntheRail

Quote:
Because wire's require both parties in the transaction. They have to be verifiable and there has to be a paper trail or they are completely useless. It would have required flying official from the Fed to Iran. Setting up the proper programs/software/protocols for sending a wire. Allowing the wire to be able to be seen by the Iranian Central Bank and the policy and procedure for accepting it.

The systems on both ends would have to have been integrated.

I guess you're right if there was a high enough level of trust we could've just withdrawn some money from the fed... burnt it out back... then called the supreme leader and told him to put a 4 with a bunch of zeroes in his account.
Your fine with all the backdoor slight of hand from Obama... But if it were Trump... well that's a whole different matter... heads would be exploding and all.

Me I'd of sent them a check and told them deal with it... nah if the insisted cash... I'd of sent them a plane full of ash.

But with cash they can pack it on a camel Poof... no tracks to be followed.

Obama... was the Greatest supporter of terrorist that Iran could ever hope to deal with.... next to Kerry.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Foreigners LOVE American cash.Fungible and accepted just about everywhere.The American dollar is the only official currency of El Salvador and Ecuador and several other tiny nations.

Credit? Wire transfers? American.

Cash? Everybody else.Go to Europe, Japan.Outside the tourist areas, credit cards aren't widely accepted.

Q. The percentage in dollar value of United States banknotes that are located outside the United States? (according to the Federal Reserve)

A, 60 % (500 billion), yep most of our physical paper money is outside our borders.

I would say this was a condition of the negotiations from the Iranians.Maybe the United States got a discount for cash, like the gas stations.

See, Obama tried to save the American taxpayer some money and you don't even appreciate it.
It wasn't in dollars. The Iranians have no way of exchanging them into something useful. It was in Swiss Francs and Euros.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #30
tucker6

Quote:
Wait...what?

The TREASURY DEPARTMENT...executive branch...Obama head of executive branch...this much I'm smart enough to figure out on my own....

No way in the world Obama had the power to tell the Treasury dept to make this one wee exception...nope...executive order couldn't achieve something like that? Anything? Something? Bueller? Mueller?

No, better we spend a shitload of money to get these guys actual ducats...mullah...cash-eesh...greenbacks...

What's the real reason boys? Tell me the real reason we went with actual cash.

I know you guys are smarter than I am, so you must know the actual answer.
Diversionary tactic #1 - ... but tariffs
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: