Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
GMB@BP

Why todays music cannot be taken seriously

Hope no one has paid good money or time for lip syncing.

Between auto tune, beat perfect.... not sure you actually have to have musically talent to be a music star in todays industry.

GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

As long as it sounds good, who care where it came from?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If it feels good, do it!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
woodbinepmi

Every generation says this, growing up in the late 70's and 80's I heard it then. There is always good and bad music being made, the main problem now is you have to find it because it will not be played on the top 40 radio stations.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I love searching YouTube to find good new stuff.
Find a lot of good OLD stuff as well.

Like this one...missed it at first.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
horses4courses

Quote:
I love searching YouTube to find good new stuff.
Find a lot of good OLD stuff as well.

Like this one...missed it at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTlB-TjAzM
This

Every generation laments the passing of artists from their day.
Those replacing them do not always suit established tastes.

Fine new artists do evolve, though. You just have to know
where to find them on radio, etc. They are not all bad.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
woodbinepmi

We usually gravitate to the music and bands that we grew up to, reminds us of our youth. When we didn't have any cares other than doing homework or which girl we had the hots for and if it was reciprocated.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
OntheRail

GMB@BP I get it your not talking about style, content or taste. But about talented people making music and performing live... verse electronic wizardry making sucky people sound good. Back in the day what you heard was the artist for good, bad or other and LIVE in CONCERT . Now it's mostly smoke and mirrors production.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

A few years ago I would have totally agreed with the OP. Now I am not so sure. The biggest gripe I have is the non-musician's perception of autotune. Autotune DOES NOT take a bad singer and make them decent or a good singer and make them great. Autotune is an effect, like vocals through reverb or an Echoplex back in the day. Every generation has lack-of-real-talent people becoming stars or at least one-hit wonders. Remember the song "This Diamond Ring"? Gary Lewis had no talent, but because his dad Jerry was a big star he got a hit record out of it.

And I agree with woodbinepmi -- we definitely gravitate to songs of our youth. That doesn't mean that current music is terrible. It's the new generation's youth music. Remember a guy named Elvis or that British band known as The Beatles? Do you remember all the hub-bub surrounding the corruption of our youth because of rock-and-roll? The old farts were appalled because they weren't Bing or Frank. My wife made me watch A Star Is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. This is not my kind of movie, the music theme notwithstanding. Lady Gaga can effing sing, and was really good in her role. I think it's safe to say that she has talent whether or not you like her popular songs.

Let's also not forget the songwriters. They are not bound by effects like autotune. Did you ever try to write a song? I'm amazed at some of the melodies that are still being written. And I think it's great that anyone can create music now with the proliferation of digital audio workstations and relatively inexpensive hardware.

As far as live acts...yeah, I would be cheesed-off if the singer was lip syncing, but today's generation doesn't care. It's about the show, not the music. Do you think that the all of the 150,000 or so attendees of the Derby care about horse racing? No, it's about being at the event and being able to prove it because you shot video on your phone.

I'm a crusty old guy, but maybe I'm getting soft.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
elysiantraveller

The landscape has completely changed and some genres are up like indie/folk and others down terribly like hip hop...

Electronics create accessibility though which is a good thing...

Check out this banger:

elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
ldiatone

well does on think that in 100 years from now the 60's 70's music will be aired on what ever radio of computer outlet is around?? take "big band music". how many radio stations play this music for free? its only 70 years. yes one can pay for it or search you tube. but the masters from the 16th 17th 18th and early 19th century are still preformed today both on the radio and stage. and most of the music is great.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Tom,

Been out of town a few days and wanted to respond to your reply.

I think what you say is 100% a no doubter correct. People should listen to whatever they want, if they enjoy it then that is the bottom line. Do not be beholden to what people say you should listen to and enjoy.

However it should be stated that when one considers "musicians" as a profession and art form that many of todays stars are not and should be considered as entertainers and lauded for their creative abilities.

In terms of "musical" ability they add nothing in my opinion and the music they create will not stand any test of time, and will likely be the least remembered music of any generation.

Others are also correct, if people want to pay to hear recorded music then its their money, they can do what they want, if its like going to be a big nightclub party as one other suggested, then hey I get it. I just do not respect it as "music".

I could be wrong and maybe 50 years from now Eminem and Ariana Grande will be be considered pioneers.....but I doubt it
Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
GMB@BP I get it your not talking about style, content or taste. But about talented people making music and performing live... verse electronic wizardry making sucky people sound good. Back in the day what you heard was the artist for good, bad or other and LIVE in CONCERT . Now it's mostly smoke and mirrors production.
Wanted to expand on this a bit, obviously I agree with your statement in a broad context.

I would say I really appreciate a well engineered stereo mix of music. I do think it makes it more special of that music is created by instruments and voices rather than computers.

One of the great albums of all time, Queens "A Night at the Opera" had a lot of engineering on it to mix voices, instruments into a very eclectic stereo mix. Have no problem at all. Of course it still was awesome in concert so there is that for confirmation how great the talent was.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
However it should be stated that when one considers "musicians" as a profession and art form that many of todays stars are not and should be considered as entertainers and lauded for their creative abilities.
And then you have the Beatles, who not only were great artists, but added so much technology to a lot of their albums they couldn't do them live the same
way.

We agree!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
horses4courses

Modern Music

Every so often, I hear something by artists I don't know that I like.

Here are 3 bands that have released music in the past 10 years that
I would pay to see. There are others, but these are my top picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXn_...?v=dxjrvOSRYsE

Last edited by horses4courses; 06-19-2019 at 10:03 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply