Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
cutchemist42

So in terms of pace, does a "Presser" need the leads to soften up?

When you look at Bris ratings for Pressers, do Quirin points even apply to them? I understand Quirin points to measure a desire or will to be placed where they want. Should a Presser even have Quirin points?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #17
jay68802

Yes, the presser needs speed points, otherwise he is not pressing the pace, he is chasing the pace.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
hracingplyr

Presser

Good stuff Tom. My question is if your using Timeform would the presser be a midpack horse or tracker?

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr View Post
Good stuff Tom. My question is if your using Timeform would the presser be a midpack horse or tracker?

Bob
I think I can answer that one...tracker IMO. That was the intent of the label.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, that is how I handle the trackers.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #21
classhandicapper

I mostly look at running styles.

IMO, horses only run as fast as they have to in order to secure the desired running position (horses and riders). So you can't necessarily tell how fast a "need the lead", "front runner", "near front runner" etc.. is capable of running based on how fast it ran early in recent races. Their prior fractions would depend on the kind of fields they drew into.

Once I know how the horse typically likes to run (including being versatile) it's only then that I try to determine if one of them can dominate some of the others on the lead or a couple are clearly inferior to a couple of others.

I will look at pace figures, but I tend to look at the quality and consistency of the horses each has been battling with or outrunning in other races. If one is clearly superior in quality, I'd expect it to either outrun or put away the cheaper ones and continue on (assuming form is constant). I'd expect the cheaper ones to fold (often badly) and finish worse than they would in a more neutrally run race.

When they are of similar quality, they tend to all run up close and it's kind of random as to which gets the lead (post position, start, rider aggressiveness etc..). In those races they will all mostly continue on unless the riders get overly aggressive.

There are also examples of horses that do their best running up close, but they draw into a race with so many front running and close up types that some of them wind up mid pack or worse (in slower fractions than they normally run). Those horses typically do not fire their best race. The exceptions are lightly raced horses that haven't really established what they are capable of doing.

We've all seen the speed horse that gets left to last and rallies to win, but we've also all seen the speed horse that gets left, is rushed up or outrun, and drops dead more often.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-20-2018 at 03:38 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I like to look at running styles, but I've learned that most horses are more versatile than any labels we give them. Horses I identify as "Leader" or "Plodder" are pretty set provided they've run several times. The others can vary in reality, usually by one label in either direction.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I like to look at running styles, but I've learned that most horses are more versatile than any labels we give them. Horses I identify as "Leader" or "Plodder" are pretty set provided they've run several times. The others can vary in reality, usually by one label in either direction.
I agree.

I try to look for extremes in the race setup before I project too much. I also like for what I am projecting to be consistent with the profile for that track, surface, and distance.

What good is getting the setup right if the track/surface/distance is playing the opposite way?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sartin's Energy program showed horses rating ranked Early, Early presser, pressers, sustained presser, sustained and late.
The program had a prediction of what would win the race, ie, Presser figures to win.

The idea was to look at horses within 1 of the prediction, so Presser would include EP,P,SP horses in your preferences.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
classhandicapper

"Within 1" is probably a pretty good way of looking at it.

It gives you some margin of safety in case your analysis and label based on the past is wrong and also gives you some margin of safety if your analysis of the past is right but the horse is simply more versatile than it has shown to date.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sartin was ahead of the game - he was dealing with "about" back in the 90s!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: