Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #586
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I would have given it to him last year.

But your comment underscores how he was a flash in the pan. He doesn't win HOTY because he only had 2 big wins in any calendar year. He was brilliamt but fizzled out so quickly he never really built his resume.
Gun Runner was the highlight in a disappointing year. The older female award is going to a filly with just 3 starts for the year. That's bad.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #587
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Gun Runner was the highlight in a disappointing year. The older female award is going to a filly with just 3 starts for the year. That's bad.
Interesting to read your two posts back to back. Because Arrogate's career demonstrates the incentive to retire quickly and race ultra-lightly, doing just enough to establish the stud vslue and then stopping.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #588
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
A flash in the pan was Arazi. Arrogate delivered in BCC and Dubai. A broken clock is right twice? Anyhow, I was just being semantic no biggie. Arrogate's failure is a tough story for us followers of the sport just like Shared Belief was a heartbreaker....
Arazi wasn't a flash in the pan. He was undefeated in 4 starts I think before killing it here. Then he came out of the race with a chip, and wasn't the same after.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #589
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
He'll get a full book just like the rest of the top 10 or so new sires to the Ky roster, but he went from red hot to lukewarm, and his stud fee dropped by half over the last 3 races.
As I read thru these posts, it seems a lot of the blame on Arrogate, and none on the trainer.

I am not sure talent like his just "goes away". Something that needs to happen isn't happening, I mean, it's possible, right? Seems like a horse of this stature/talent can be brought along for at least 5 years .....AFAIK, he isn't injured, right?

I think dilanesp may be on to something....

Last edited by clicknow; 11-04-2017 at 09:57 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #590
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
As I read thru these posts, it seems a lot of the blame on Arrogate, and none on the trainer.

I am not sure talent like his just "goes away". Something that needs to happen isn't happening, I mean, it's possible, right? Seems like a horse of this stature/talent can be brought along for at least 5 years .....AFAIK, he isn't injured, right?

I think dilanesp may be on to something....
I've said since his first loss that I think something's physically wrong with him. It's up to the trainer and owner to make sure it's not. And for God's sake, if you really think he hates the track, then you don't send him out for his last 3 races over it. The horse's rep gets knocked, but it doesn't mean the trainer (particularly) isn't possibly partly or wholly responsible.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #591
burnsy
self medicated

I don't understand the complaining about Arrogate. It was obvious he was in deep here off his prior two races. He couldn't be tossed IMO but the result is not much of a surprise. It was also obvious that the top finishers were in top form. Anyone that followed Gun Runner could see he's never been better.

They are not machines, they are not even human athletes, they can't tell you what's wrong. All you can go by is their most recent efforts and Arrogate has been underperforming for months now. This was not the shocker people are trying to make out of it. Simply put, it is, what it is.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-05-2017 at 12:47 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #592
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I don't understand the complaining about Arrogate. It was obvious he was in deep here off his prior two races. He couldn't be tossed IMO but the result is not much of a surprise. It was also obvious that the top finishers were in top form. Anyone that followed Gun Runner could see he's never been better.

They are not machines, they are not even human athletes, they can't tell you what's wrong. All you can go by is their most recent efforts and Arrogate has been underperforming for months now. This was not the shocker people are trying to make out of it. Simply put, it is, what it is.
its a product of the current game, these very protected campaigns that prop up records and stack wins has jaded us that when horses lose it means a little more.

These are not machines, sometimes they go wrong, in Arrogates case some say it means he was a flash in the pan, a never was so to speak.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #593
thaskalos

His 2016 Travers race came out of no-where...and his "greatness" vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Arrogate's case is a head-scratcher of the type that we don't often see.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:31 AM   #594
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
His 2016 Travers race came out of no-where...and his "greatness" vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Arrogate's case is a head-scratcher of the type that we don't often see.
I see two possibilities: either there is an underlying physical issue that has eluded what I presume are the best veterinary diagnosticians available, or Arrogate simply doesn't want to do this any more.

Clearly Dubai was stressful for Arrogate as evidenced by his post-trip weight loss. I know very little about race training, but I do own horses, and being cooped up in a stall, as he reportedly was for four months, is not conducive to a happy equine, especially those of the warmblood variety. Maybe things would have turned out differently if he'd been turned out to a nice, quiet pasture for a couple of months, to just be a horse for a little while after those four grueling races. Who knows. I'm just speculating.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #595
lamboguy

in horse racing, you are only as good as your last race. as stated before ARROGATE won on a phony race track in Dubai. had he have been on the pace like GUNRUNNER was you would not have found that horse with a search warrant that day. instead, he broke bad and dead last, stayed away from the pace and swooped the field on a wide track. this happens all the time at The Mountain.

what we saw yesterday with GUNRUNNER was a truly great horse. he took every punch a horse could take and put every challenge to rest.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #596
pandy

I didn't see how anyone could bet Arrogate yesterday after he ran so much slower over the same track in his last two starts.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #597
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I see two possibilities: either there is an underlying physical issue that has eluded what I presume are the best veterinary diagnosticians available, or Arrogate simply doesn't want to do this any more.

Clearly Dubai was stressful for Arrogate as evidenced by his post-trip weight loss. I know very little about race training, but I do own horses, and being cooped up in a stall, as he reportedly was for four months, is not conducive to a happy equine, especially those of the warmblood variety. Maybe things would have turned out differently if he'd been turned out to a nice, quiet pasture for a couple of months, to just be a horse for a little while after those four grueling races. Who knows. I'm just speculating.
All of that is possible. A racehorse can be completely sound and physically in peak condition and still not perform up to its top ability if the horse has soured on racing or is simply not mentally competitive.

There was a great trotter named Mack Lobell who was shipped to Europe to compete in their prestigious races. He was put in quarantine, which he despised. When they brought him out to train he refused to move. He literally stood still outside of his stall and refused. Eventually he got over it and has tremendous success racing in Europe.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #598
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Not gonna lie.

That was a hella fun weekend.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #599
bisket

Anyone ready to anoint Gun Runner world’s best has to take into consideration Collected ran step for step with him. I’m wondering if the tractors circled the track a few times during the turf race. If not they both freaked.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #600
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Horse of the three months.

GR deserves it.
Horse of 6 months.
AFTER Arrogate humiliated him and went on vacation.
GR is a worthy second place finisher. But He did NOT win the two biggest races.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: